• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you think is the best Navy automobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone that puts huge bling-bling rims on a truck deserves a severe beating. They're bad enough on cars, but putting them on a truck is blasphemy.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't believe the enlisted and JOs I see running around in $40,000+ Navigators and such w/ 18-inch rims. I think every base has a few of "those guys." Ramen noodles anyone?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since this thread is about cars, I thought some of you might be interested in a deal that is offered to servicmembers overseas. You can get a US vehicle (Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Harley) through the Exchange. You order it direct from the manufacturer and they build it from scratch for you, ie. you chose color, options, etc. that they offer. It is then delivered to the port of your choice. What is so good about this? You sit down with the exchange car guy, tell him what you want and he prints out your order with a price, which is usually quite a bit less than what you can get from a dealer. I was thinking about a Ford Explorer and the price I got from the exchange was $4500 less than what the a dealer back home was willing to give me. You can still usually get the deals that the car companies offer, like 0% financing.

The catch to the program is that you have to be outside the US to qualify for the program. If you are anywhere that the military is overseas you can probably order one a car through the program. I was on the Connie only 50 miles off the Socal coast and a car guy from the exchange set up shop. And in the middle of Iraqi Freedom people were still ordering cars from the base I was at in Saudi Arabia.

I have known many people who have gotten deals through this program. One of the more popular purchases is a Harley. The price is excellent. One of my buddies was at a local Harley shop near a base in WA and the dealer told him to get a bike through the exchange. He did, and saved around $4k. I know of at least a dozen guys personally that have gotten Harley's.

A few foreign car companies also offer their own programs for US military. The ones I know about are BMW and Volvo. I actually got a Volvo (don't laugh, it has 300hp and the same 0-60 time as the 350Z) for $6000 less than what I would have gotten at a dealer.

It is a great deal and I thought those of you who did not know about it might be interested.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
^That's good...only question is why the hell would you want a domestic? A hill billy truck or an ugly as hell attempt at a sports car (read:new gto) is still a piece of trash regardless of price.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some people just want a truck. In my opinion, the foreign trucks in the full-size market don't stack up to their American counterparts. When I buy a full size truck I want a full size truck, end of story. If you can't understand that, there's no use trying to explain.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No foreign truck is gonna hold itself to my American Jeep. Ok ok, except the Landrover Defender...oh god I'd give my left arm for one!

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Never lease! Every one of my friends who has done it regreted it later - they all go over mileage and end up spending a fortune.

Make sure that you like the car - because whatever ensign mobile you buy seems to be the same vehicle you come back here with 5 years later as an instructor.....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Ryoukai
^That's good...only question is why the hell would you want a domestic? A hill billy truck or an ugly as hell attempt at a sports car (read:new gto) is still a piece of trash regardless of price.

Why wouldn't you want a domestic? Have you driven the GTO? The only way you could know it's a piece of trash is to have driven one. Tested it if you will. I have a hard time believing that the LS1 engine is a piece of trash as well. This is coming from a guy who currently owns a Ford (03 Cobra), Nissan (04 Maxima SL), and a Mitsubishi (98 Eclipse).

riley

Fly Navy,

I have a Jeep Wrangler - my dream vehicle. I try to forget the fact that Jeep is owned by Chrysler - and that Chrysler sold themselves to a kraut company.

Ryoukai,

The answer to your question - you are obviously a yankee, is that a truck allows one to proudly display their newest firearms in the back window. You cannot do that in a BMW or a Honda...
And for another reason (again, proving you must be a yankee) if you pulled up to the local Dairy Queen in a Toyota Titan, or T100 or some Nissan p.o.s., you would get your a@# kicked all the way to Cleveland.
Realize, I am not angry with you - just giving you a friendly, southern warning, to keep your views on american trucks hidden if you ever visit some small town in the south...

grouch

1. Toyota Tacoma, Tundra, and T100 not Titan you bonehead. The Titan is a Nissan.
2. Who the hell eats at DQ anyway?
3. JEEP= Just empty every pocket.
4. Do you actually put you firearms in the back plastic window of your Heep?
5. Everybody knows that the Tacoma is just too cool.
6. My Tacoma will be running long after your Wrangler is turned into an anchor.
7. http://www.tacomaterritory.com/ That's all you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.