• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do VR reserve pilots do during "off time"

phrogpilot73

Not to mention that a large part of the Reserve Force can't actually do anything.
For certain MOS's/Rates, I think the standard should be like officers. "Oh, you want to enlist as a flightline mechanic in the reserves? Sorry, that's only available to guys that have done one term on AD, OR you have to spend two years on AD to get trained before you can roll to the reserves". As it stands, we have reserve crew chiefs that are unqualled, NO reserve CDIs, etc... Our problem with generating robust flight schedules is that we overwork the young AD guys, because they're the only ones around enough to get/maintain their quals.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Valid for the USNR as well. E-side, there seems to be a big push to get butts in the seats, whether there's productive work for them or not. O-side, you better have a billet in mind.

Location is the problem, again. It's hard to expect guys to exceed minimums - or make best use of reservists - when the only place they can drill is way the hell far away from where they live. Case in point, I fly E-2s for my day job in Pax, and drill with the E-2 SAU in Norfolk, which is a 3.5-hour drive each way. Can't exactly drop in as-needed or take advantage of an off afternoon to get a drill in.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Valid for the USNR as well. E-side, there seems to be a big push to get butts in the seats, whether there's productive work for them or not. O-side, you better have a billet in mind.

I tried to get into the USNR when I seperated from active duty and was basically told the only rate available to me at the time was BM. I should have looked into it more then but I didn't. I'd like to get back into the reserves now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Location is the problem, again. It's hard to expect guys to exceed minimums - or make best use of reservists - when the only place they can drill is way the hell far away from where they live. Case in point, I fly E-2s for my day job in Pax, and drill with the E-2 SAU in Norfolk, which is a 3.5-hour drive each way. Can't exactly drop in as-needed or take advantage of an off afternoon to get a drill in.

I was talking E-side. The huge issue comes in when you have units at fleet concentration areas that can't bring in a just-seperated and qual'ed AM2 (or any A-rate) as an AM2 because there are to many AMs already in the Reserve...in Wisconsin. But good news, they can bring that same AM2 as a LS! Well that solves everything!

Don't get me started. Oops, too late.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was talking E-side. The huge issue comes in when you have units at fleet concentration areas that can't bring in a just-seperated and qual'ed AM2 (or any A-rate) as an AM2 because there are to many AMs already in the Reserve...in Wisconsin. But good news, they can bring that same AM2 as a LS! Well that solves everything!

Don't get me started. Oops, too late.

I know, it's absurd. A reflection of the same problem AC is having - making manning decisions strictly from a rating perspective. It's how we got the "here's your pink slip...oh shit, here's extra money for the rest to stay on 'cuz wer'e undermanned" fiasco.

How this service spends almost a decade studying Aquaflauge but snaps off major personnel decisions from the hip boggles the mind.

But anyway.

phrogpilot73

It's how we got the "here's your pink slip...oh shit, here's extra money for the rest to stay on 'cuz wer'e undermanned" fiasco.
Funny (but true) story. Guy I went to Culinary School with used to be a CTA. The CTA rate merged with YN, so now YNs were overmanned. Got offered a sizeable chunk of cash (something like $50K) to get out of the Navy. Took it. Less than a year later, he is offered another sizeable chunk of change to renlist in the reserves (again something like $50K). Why? Big Navy realized that not every YN is capable of getting/maintining a TS/SCI clearance - hence the reason the CTA rate existed to begin with.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Just a piece of advice for anyone going to the reserves when they get out...

DO NOT delay drilling when you start your new job. You might want to push back your drills as you get your feet under you with your new gig but that can be a mistake. Your new employer knows you are in the reserves and can get used to you not being gone and this sets unrealistic expectations. Then you need to "catch up" with your drills and need to be gone more than you usually would and your employer gets pissed. While it is illegal for them to fire you, the gray area of making you uncomfortable at work is tough to prove in court. I have seen this happen with a close friend and all he was trying to do was get settled in his new job and impress his new employer.

BLOB (<-- Bottom Line On Bottom): Establish your drill patterns early in you new job. Get them used to seeing you come and go and working with/around your absences.

Class dismissed...