• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What did you get for Christmas? [aka ChuckMK23 busted my HSL-45 name tag]

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I remember the tapes were for being secured. Bat I had blue, Bat II had yellow and I think white was for Candios. I remember the Academic, PT and Military Bearing awards being on an additional colored name tag worn over your name tag with an all white one listing all 3 awards being the Snowflake.

But that was 35 years ago... Class 16-83.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If I haven't drank all the brain cells from 9 years away, we went from NWU Officer Candidates to CandiO's with Service Khakis. White tape was still in effect with Khakis as to whether or not you were secured as a class. Off base liberty was dress uniforms. Went to dinner in Providence (to get away from prying eyes in Newport) rocking the Blues and some stranger picked up our tab. Nice little intro to the Navy. Hopefully I can pay it forward someday.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If I haven't drank all the brain cells from 9 years away, we went from NWU Officer Candidates to CandiO's with Service Khakis. White tape was still in effect with Khakis as to whether or not you were secured as a class. Off base liberty was dress uniforms. Went to dinner in Providence (to get away from prying eyes in Newport) rocking the Blues and some stranger picked up our tab. Nice little intro to the Navy. Hopefully I can pay it forward someday.

NWU's 9 years ago? They were a thing then? Granted I started (and got issued my gear) NROTC in 2003, but I still have a closet full of wash khakis that don't fit. I bought a pair of NWU's for my first deployment, never wore them, never have since, and am thinking about burning them because it is a terrible uniform and I can't imagine the circumstance where I might wear them.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
NWU's 9 years ago?
It's been right about ten years since the NEX started selling them- the original batches that would lose their buttons. This was right around the same time as the see-through-when-they-get-wet yellow PT uniform shirt. They fixed both of those problems in later batches.

thinking about burning them
They never bothered to fix the flammability issue so burn away!

it is a terrible uniform
They did fix this feature albeit by replacing them with an equally puzzling choice for a working uniform.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NWU's 9 years ago? They were a thing then? Granted I started (and got issued my gear) NROTC in 2003, but I still have a closet full of wash khakis that don't fit. I bought a pair of NWU's for my first deployment, never wore them, never have since, and am thinking about burning them because it is a terrible uniform and I can't imagine the circumstance where I might wear them.
I first used them on my 2010-2011 cruise. Flight suits not permitted on the bridge of Lincoln at the time (lame).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They started issuing them in 2009-ish. I think we were something like the 6th class to get them. Probably wore them <10 times since I've commissioned. I need Type IIIs for my next tour, not too happy about having to buy those.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do...even though the JOPA gig wasn’t really a thing [that I was aware of] in the late 1980s/early 1990s at HSL-45.

Also, not only did I lose my original HT-8 patch, I also lost my original “No Black Shoes” patch...it was fantabulous...it had a white background, a cartoonish black shoe and a bright red boarder with a bright red slash through the cartoonish black shoe. I loved wearing that patch while on DET on the boat...it pissed off a few folks. :D
They sell the NO BLACK SHOE patch at Wings & Things. As well as the HT-8 patch. You're welcome.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
They sell the NO BLACK SHOE patch at Wings & Things. As well as the HT-8 patch. You're welcome.
+1

Replaced my lost VT-6 "Food World" patch - win!

vt_6_throwback__75180.1403023778.224.300.JPG