• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What did you get for Christmas? [aka ChuckMK23 busted my HSL-45 name tag]

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
You need a JOPA patch stat!
I do...even though the JOPA gig wasn’t really a thing [that I was aware of] in the late 1980s/early 1990s at HSL-45.

Also, not only did I lose my original HT-8 patch, I also lost my original “No Black Shoes” patch...it was fantabulous...it had a white background, a cartoonish black shoe and a bright red boarder with a bright red slash through the cartoonish black shoe. I loved wearing that patch while on DET on the boat...it pissed off a few folks. :D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thanks guys!

You better get him wholly independent birthday and Christmas gifts. Combined gifts are B.S.

Oh I know it. My wife's bday is 12/12, and she expects about one week per year centered around that date to be her "birthday". Luckily it will be at least a couple years before he knows he is due a present :)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Attention @Griz882 ...what was the significance of the white tape on the AOCS name tags? Did it signify that you [and your class] were secured? I’m having a senior moment...and I can’t clearly remember what the deal was with the white tape. :confused:

View attachment 20616
As I recall it had to do with what battalion/company you were in.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I recall it had to do with what battalion/company you were in.
In 1979 AOCS white tapes made you a snow flake, but in a good way, not our present idiom. I dont recall the other colors, but when you outpost to the Batt., you got the color tape for your Batt. If you got a top score for PT, Mil Bearing or Academics the tape color was changed to reflect that achievement. If you excelled in all three you got white tapes and was called a snow flake. Must not have been the case in MD's day. Sorry, but I don't see "The EMI King" aceing Mil Bearing. Am I wrong?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
In 1979 AOCS white tapes made you a snow flake, but in a good way, not our present idiom. I dont recall the other colors, but when you outpost to the Batt., you got the color tape for your Batt. If you got a top score for PT, Mil Bearing or Academics the tape color was changed to reflect that achievement. If you excelled in all three you got white tapes and was called a snow flake. Must not have been the case in MD's day. Sorry, but I don't see "The EMI King" aceing Mil Bearing. Am I wrong?
Well...I was ranked at the bottom of the class in Mil Bearing...so “at the bottom” that it was vehemently proposed [by our DI and Class Officer] that I should be attrited...

...and the story goes something like this...

I was summoned into a room at the Batt at about week 12 where our Drill Instructor [Gunnery Sergeant Jones, United States Marine Corps!] and Class Officer [Lieutenant Reese, USN] were waiting...they stated that I had more than twice the number of demerits as the “next-to-the-bottom” in Mil Bearing [AOC “Freddie” Fredrickson]...and that they were routing the proposal to attrite me up the chain of command. They then asked me what I had to say about this which was something like...“According to the calculations, I’m at the bottom of the Class in Mil Bearing and I agree with that...however, I’m in the dead fucking middle of the Class in Academics...and I’m NUMBER ONE in PT ...therefore, when all three are averaged together...since from what I understand all three are equally weighted...I’m in the middle of the Class overall...and I should not be attrited.” Our DI responded with something like...“Get the fuck out of here you piece of shit!”

:D

Last edited: