• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What branch should I join?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Big lurker here but I thought I’d reach out as there’s not very many people I feel like I can turn to. Anyways, I recently have been trying to receive a flight slot with the Navy, through OCS, and was denied twice (once in the October board and more recently in the May board). After I wasn’t accepted the first time, I started looking into other branches and was working with the Marines and the Coast Guard. I was accepted to go to Coast Guard OCS, but I’m having doubts about wanting to be in the Coast Guard. More recently, with the 90% acceptance rate of this past Navy OCS board, I’m just confused as to what to do. I know that undoubtedly I want to fly. Sure, jets sound awesome, but I would really be happy flying whatever airframe the military assigns me (part of me does want to be able to complete for jets but that’s neither here nor there). My problem is that I’m not sure what culture I’d like to be a part of.

For one, the Coast Guard seems like a great organization with an amazing mission and something that I’m sure would be extremely rewarding. Plus, they have great base locations. Conversely, they don’t have jets, it’s not a guaranteed pilot slot, they don’t get to shoot any ordinance, and if a war broke out, I most likely wouldn’t get to be a part of it as an aviator. Though I’m sure it comes with it’s challenges, from an outsider’s perspective, it’s hard to see what it would be that I would be challenged with in a career with the Coast Guard.

The Marine Corps seems like an outstanding service and I love the idea of every Marine being a rifleman as you really know what your fellow Marines on the ground are going through. It really seems like a challenge to become a Marine, and I believe this would be extremely rewarding to not only earn the title but carry myself to the highest standards every single day. Flying wise, all the platforms seem exciting. My only concern would be that I told my OSO I would be continuing with the Coast Guard, and I’m not sure if he’d even take me back and work with me. Also, past the minimum commitment of 10 or 12 years, I’m not sure if life as a Marine would be great for a family.

Finally, the Navy seems like the best of both worlds. I feel like I would be challenged every day, but it also seems to be more relaxed than the Marine Corps. They also have amazing platforms to fly and each platform seems to have a diverse mission set. I really don’t think there’s anything in the Navy I’d be unhappy flying. My concern with the Navy is with the recent 90% acceptance rate, I’m not sure how long I’d be waiting as I continually apply for a pilot slot. I could get picked up the next board or it could take 2 or 3 years until I’m picked up.

As for what I’m doing to continually improve myself and make myself more competitive is I started a Master’s Degree this semester. I also received a private pilot license this past summer. I would, however, like to start my career as soon as possible as I can’t live with my parents forever.

For my ASTB, I have a 7/8/7 and that was on my second attempt. I could always just study my butt off and take it a third time, but there’s no guarantee I’d do super well and from what I hear, it’s a decent score.

My PFT is kinda trash, but I’m working on it. I can definitely have it in the 280 range by the first 2024 Marine board.

If I would stick with the Coast Guard, I’d start OCS in January and would incur a 3 year commitment without flight school.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

The Coast Guard is offering you a phenomenal deal. Sometimes what we want isn't in the cards. Take the opportunity that is being given to you and seize it with everything you have. Every single Coastie I know loves it and the likelihood of you doing some really cool things in some really cool places is pretty high. Also, you will have the opportunity to give back to your local community in ways that the Navy never can. Enjoy Connecticut!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The Coast Guard is offering you a phenomenal deal. Sometimes what we want isn't in the cards. Take the opportunity that is being given to you and seize it with everything you have. Every single Coastie I know loves it and the likelihood of you doing some really cool things in some really cool places is pretty high. Also, you will have the opportunity to give back to your local community in ways that the Navy never can. Enjoy Connecticut!
Is USCG OCS no longer in Yorktown?

I really appreciate the advice from everyone. I’m going to make the most of my opportunities and will work hard to get that pilot slot!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I really appreciate the advice from everyone. I’m going to make the most of my opportunities and will work hard to get that pilot slot!
I had a friend go to CG OCS (in Yorktown) and he wanted a flight slot. He didn’t get it out of OCS, but he did after a six month stint at USCG HQ. Stick it out, you will get that flight slot.

smpl_dude

Smpl_dude's wife here. I was a Coast Guard brat, while not in aviation, I know many, many Coasties and can add a cultural note.

The vast majority of those I know have actually maxed out service to retirement or are planning to. Attrition doesn't seem as bad as it does in other branches, although cmv it could be different in aviation. Culturally they have fantastic camaraderie, as they are a smaller service there are many familiar names and faces as you go through your duty stations.

The duty stations are pretty great -- San Diego, Guam, Hawaii, Alaska, etc, although the bases do tend to be small and lower budget, again, tight knit.

And, the mission - Semper Paratus - is fitting. Search and Rescue flight is thrilling and rewarding work. But, you are right, you will not fight in a war. IF you get a pilot slot, you will fight the daily battles -- the 2AM call to rescue a lost fishing boat, for example.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
you can apply for a pilot slot after six months for uscg after doing some sort of coastal job, considering that the original question stated a 3-year contract without flight school. How much do they weigh astb? what goes in their selection if you can share that from what your friend said, curious?.
Sorry friend, this was back in the early 1990’s. The whole scheme was different back then, even in the Navy. Any advice I could offer would be like a post-apocalyptic Twinkie…still good but not necessarily good for you.

You'll get it, as long as you don't f*** up. In which case, you'll still get what you deserve. :)

I think the Coast Guard mission is great. Enjoy!
How much do they weigh astb for uscg? what goes into their selection
Big lurker here but I thought I’d reach out as there’s not very many people I feel like I can turn to. Anyways, I recently have been trying to receive a flight slot with the Navy, through OCS, and was denied twice (once in the October board and more recently in the May board). After I wasn’t accepted the first time, I started looking into other branches and was working with the Marines and the Coast Guard. I was accepted to go to Coast Guard OCS, but I’m having doubts about wanting to be in the Coast Guard. More recently, with the 90% acceptance rate of this past Navy OCS board, I’m just confused as to what to do. I know that undoubtedly I want to fly. Sure, jets sound awesome, but I would really be happy flying whatever airframe the military assigns me (part of me does want to be able to complete for jets but that’s neither here nor there). My problem is that I’m not sure what culture I’d like to be a part of.

For one, the Coast Guard seems like a great organization with an amazing mission and something that I’m sure would be extremely rewarding. Plus, they have great base locations. Conversely, they don’t have jets, it’s not a guaranteed pilot slot, they don’t get to shoot any ordinance, and if a war broke out, I most likely wouldn’t get to be a part of it as an aviator. Though I’m sure it comes with it’s challenges, from an outsider’s perspective, it’s hard to see what it would be that I would be challenged with in a career with the Coast Guard.

The Marine Corps seems like an outstanding service and I love the idea of every Marine being a rifleman as you really know what your fellow Marines on the ground are going through. It really seems like a challenge to become a Marine, and I believe this would be extremely rewarding to not only earn the title but carry myself to the highest standards every single day. Flying wise, all the platforms seem exciting. My only concern would be that I told my OSO I would be continuing with the Coast Guard, and I’m not sure if he’d even take me back and work with me. Also, past the minimum commitment of 10 or 12 years, I’m not sure if life as a Marine would be great for a family.

Finally, the Navy seems like the best of both worlds. I feel like I would be challenged every day, but it also seems to be more relaxed than the Marine Corps. They also have amazing platforms to fly and each platform seems to have a diverse mission set. I really don’t think there’s anything in the Navy I’d be unhappy flying. My concern with the Navy is with the recent 90% acceptance rate, I’m not sure how long I’d be waiting as I continually apply for a pilot slot. I could get picked up the next board or it could take 2 or 3 years until I’m picked up.

As for what I’m doing to continually improve myself and make myself more competitive is I started a Master’s Degree this semester. I also received a private pilot license this past summer. I would, however, like to start my career as soon as possible as I can’t live with my parents forever.

For my ASTB, I have a 7/8/7 and that was on my second attempt. I could always just study my butt off and take it a third time, but there’s no guarantee I’d do super well and from what I hear, it’s a decent score.

My PFT is kinda trash, but I’m working on it. I can definitely have it in the 280 range by the first 2024 Marine board.

If I would stick with the Coast Guard, I’d start OCS in January and would incur a 3 year commitment without flight school.

First off congrats on USCG! Can you shed some light on the OCS process for getting accepted into USCG? What are they looking for, what is required, what tests are required(astb), etc? Lastly, if you know how competitive are ocs slots right now? It feels like I'm more well versed in the navy and USAF compared to USCG. so any information would be great since you were in the process recently.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I second what @zippy said. USCG wasn't taking direct accession aviators when I was applying in 2008/2009 (fuck I feel old), but in retrospect it would've been a better fit for me than the Navy. Unless you have a serious desire to fly jets and drop bombs (and knowing there's a >50% chance you won't select TACAIR), USCG just seems more rewarding career wise.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot

I was an enlisted Marine with a lot of interaction with Coasties, Sailors, and Airmen given my Meteorology job. We all went to the same schoolhouse and share products. Now i'm in the Navy with a lot of Aviation friends across all branches of the military.

Met a lot of really cool people with great stories.

My 2 cents about the USCG is this. They are pretty damn cool and a very DIVERSE service. What do I mean by that? To me it seemed that in the DoD services, you're super focused on your specialty. You stay in your own grid square and rarely get to cross train into other specialties. Your duty stations will vary, but it takes a lot longer. I spent my entire enlistment at one home base. I deployed and went on exercises, but I was mostly in one area.

I have a friend of mine in the Coast Guard who's rate was MST or Marine Science Technician. The jobs he got to do were the coolest things I've ever heard. He did everything from study environmental impact of Oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico, rescued survivors in Hurricane Katrina, fast roped onto ships for seizure and inspection, had isolated duty on a tiny island north of the Arctic Circle, conducted HAZMAT cleanup in Afghanistan with the Army, and that was all before I met him. After we went to weather school together (which was a C-school for him) he got to go track icebergs in the North Atlantic.

You will become a jack of all trades in the Coast Guard and get to do a wide variety of assignments.

I value my experiences in the USMC and Navy, but if you asked me if I could do it all over again, I might have gone Coast Guard instead. Plus they have duty stations closer to my family.