• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What branch should I join?

Big lurker here but I thought I’d reach out as there’s not very many people I feel like I can turn to. Anyways, I recently have been trying to receive a flight slot with the Navy, through OCS, and was denied twice (once in the October board and more recently in the May board). After I wasn’t accepted the first time, I started looking into other branches and was working with the Marines and the Coast Guard. I was accepted to go to Coast Guard OCS, but I’m having doubts about wanting to be in the Coast Guard. More recently, with the 90% acceptance rate of this past Navy OCS board, I’m just confused as to what to do. I know that undoubtedly I want to fly. Sure, jets sound awesome, but I would really be happy flying whatever airframe the military assigns me (part of me does want to be able to complete for jets but that’s neither here nor there). My problem is that I’m not sure what culture I’d like to be a part of.

For one, the Coast Guard seems like a great organization with an amazing mission and something that I’m sure would be extremely rewarding. Plus, they have great base locations. Conversely, they don’t have jets, it’s not a guaranteed pilot slot, they don’t get to shoot any ordinance, and if a war broke out, I most likely wouldn’t get to be a part of it as an aviator. Though I’m sure it comes with it’s challenges, from an outsider’s perspective, it’s hard to see what it would be that I would be challenged with in a career with the Coast Guard.

The Marine Corps seems like an outstanding service and I love the idea of every Marine being a rifleman as you really know what your fellow Marines on the ground are going through. It really seems like a challenge to become a Marine, and I believe this would be extremely rewarding to not only earn the title but carry myself to the highest standards every single day. Flying wise, all the platforms seem exciting. My only concern would be that I told my OSO I would be continuing with the Coast Guard, and I’m not sure if he’d even take me back and work with me. Also, past the minimum commitment of 10 or 12 years, I’m not sure if life as a Marine would be great for a family.

Finally, the Navy seems like the best of both worlds. I feel like I would be challenged every day, but it also seems to be more relaxed than the Marine Corps. They also have amazing platforms to fly and each platform seems to have a diverse mission set. I really don’t think there’s anything in the Navy I’d be unhappy flying. My concern with the Navy is with the recent 90% acceptance rate, I’m not sure how long I’d be waiting as I continually apply for a pilot slot. I could get picked up the next board or it could take 2 or 3 years until I’m picked up.

As for what I’m doing to continually improve myself and make myself more competitive is I started a Master’s Degree this semester. I also received a private pilot license this past summer. I would, however, like to start my career as soon as possible as I can’t live with my parents forever.

For my ASTB, I have a 7/8/7 and that was on my second attempt. I could always just study my butt off and take it a third time, but there’s no guarantee I’d do super well and from what I hear, it’s a decent score.

My PFT is kinda trash, but I’m working on it. I can definitely have it in the 280 range by the first 2024 Marine board.

If I would stick with the Coast Guard, I’d start OCS in January and would incur a 3 year commitment without flight school.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Just to clarify, I don’t want to sound like I’m not appreciative of the Coast Guard’s offer. I definitely am appreciative, and it is a great honor to have been extended an offer to OCS. I just want to gauge some opinions so that I might make the best decision for myself as this is no small commitment.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Just to clarify, I don’t want to sound like I’m not appreciative of the Coast Guard’s offer. I definitely am appreciative, and it is a great honor to have been extended an offer to OCS. I just want to gauge some opinions so that I might make the best decision for myself as this is no small commitment.

Are you getting feedback as to why you’re not getting selected on the navy side? Perhaps ASTB scores?

FlyingGamecock

Throwing in my two cents, because I was heavily looking into the Coast Guard. This is from my “research”, I’m sure there are plenty of other people on here that have a better understanding than I do about this.

If you take the Coast Guard offer, you will get picked up for flight school eventually as long as you don’t screw up terribly. You might not get pilot right out of OCS. BUT, I’ve heard if you apply for flight school over and over again (I believe you can do it twice a year? Maybe more?), you’ll eventually get picked up. Coast Guard needs pilots right now and I don’t think that will change by the time you get in.

Yes you might have to work a different job for a year or two, but you’ll become a pilot if you keep applying.

As someone who just got selected for SNA for the Navy this past board, and had the same ASTB scores as you, part of me thinks you got a better gig lined up. Coast Guard has an awesome mission and is a pretty sweet gig.

Congratulations on your OCS acceptance, Coast Guard is hard to get accepted for.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Take the first service that offers you a pilot slot and don't look back. You'll quickly love where you end up, and you're getting an opportunity most folks can only dream about.

Apply to every service that has pilots. Army/Navy/USAF/USCG/ANG/ARNG/USAFR. All of them.

Throwing in my two cents, because I was heavily looking into the Coast Guard. This is from my “research”, I’m sure there are plenty of other people on here that have a better understanding than I do about this.

If you take the Coast Guard offer, you will get picked up for flight school eventually as long as you don’t screw up terribly. You might not get pilot right out of OCS. BUT, I’ve heard if you apply for flight school over and over again (I believe you can do it twice a year? Maybe more?), you’ll eventually get picked up. Coast Guard needs pilots right now and I don’t think that will change by the time you get in.

Yes you might have to work a different job for a year or two, but you’ll become a pilot if you keep applying.

As someone who just got selected for SNA for the Navy this past board, and had the same ASTB scores as you, part of me thinks you got a better gig lined up. Coast Guard has an awesome mission and is a pretty sweet gig.

Congratulations on your OCS acceptance, Coast Guard is hard to get accepted for.
I appreciate the response and the insight. Congratulations on your acceptance with the Navy!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Big lurker here but I thought I’d reach out as there’s not very many people I feel like I can turn to. Anyways, I recently have been trying to receive a flight slot with the Navy, through OCS, and was denied twice (once in the October board and more recently in the May board). After I wasn’t accepted the first time, I started looking into other branches and was working with the Marines and the Coast Guard. I was accepted to go to Coast Guard OCS, but I’m having doubts about wanting to be in the Coast Guard. More recently, with the 90% acceptance rate of this past Navy OCS board, I’m just confused as to what to do. I know that undoubtedly I want to fly. Sure, jets sound awesome, but I would really be happy flying whatever airframe the military assigns me (part of me does want to be able to complete for jets but that’s neither here nor there). My problem is that I’m not sure what culture I’d like to be a part of.

For one, the Coast Guard seems like a great organization with an amazing mission and something that I’m sure would be extremely rewarding. Plus, they have great base locations. Conversely, they don’t have jets, it’s not a guaranteed pilot slot, they don’t get to shoot any ordinance, and if a war broke out, I most likely wouldn’t get to be a part of it as an aviator. Though I’m sure it comes with it’s challenges, from an outsider’s perspective, it’s hard to see what it would be that I would be challenged with in a career with the Coast Guard.

The Marine Corps seems like an outstanding service and I love the idea of every Marine being a rifleman as you really know what your fellow Marines on the ground are going through. It really seems like a challenge to become a Marine, and I believe this would be extremely rewarding to not only earn the title but carry myself to the highest standards every single day. Flying wise, all the platforms seem exciting. My only concern would be that I told my OSO I would be continuing with the Coast Guard, and I’m not sure if he’d even take me back and work with me. Also, past the minimum commitment of 10 or 12 years, I’m not sure if life as a Marine would be great for a family.

Finally, the Navy seems like the best of both worlds. I feel like I would be challenged every day, but it also seems to be more relaxed than the Marine Corps. They also have amazing platforms to fly and each platform seems to have a diverse mission set. I really don’t think there’s anything in the Navy I’d be unhappy flying. My concern with the Navy is with the recent 90% acceptance rate, I’m not sure how long I’d be waiting as I continually apply for a pilot slot. I could get picked up the next board or it could take 2 or 3 years until I’m picked up.

As for what I’m doing to continually improve myself and make myself more competitive is I started a Master’s Degree this semester. I also received a private pilot license this past summer. I would, however, like to start my career as soon as possible as I can’t live with my parents forever.

For my ASTB, I have a 7/8/7 and that was on my second attempt. I could always just study my butt off and take it a third time, but there’s no guarantee I’d do super well and from what I hear, it’s a decent score.

My PFT is kinda trash, but I’m working on it. I can definitely have it in the 280 range by the first 2024 Marine board.

If I would stick with the Coast Guard, I’d start OCS in January and would incur a 3 year commitment without flight school.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Coast Guard is a great gig, you contribute while doing your job often vs training for years at core competencies you’ll never use beyond exercises that show how fucked you’d be if you ever had to use them in a contested environment.