• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are the Best/Worst DivO jobs for JOs

Sabre170

None
When reporting to your first Operational Squadron, what are the usual DivO jobs that the new guys get? Also what are the best/worst jobs to get, and for those who had the worst jobs, what advice (Hindsight) would you give the the new guy getting that job?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
DivO jobs (Aircraft, line, Av/Arm, QAO) tend to go to the senior JOs. These also fall into the maintenance department. There aren't really any "Divisions" in Admin/Safety/OPS

New guys can expect to do things like: PAO, Legal O, Ground Safety Officer, ADP (computers) O, ESO, etc. I'm sure there are new guy jobs in Ops, but I can't think of it at the moment...logs and records maybe?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Worst: CMS custodian...

You do the job perfectly...nobody notices.

Your screw up one time...NCIS is called.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
60 days into my first fleet tour I was handed: Airframes DivO (which includes Corrosion Control, Emergency Reclimation and Hazmat) and ALSS DivO (which includes Seat Shop and FlightE). I'm also the Ass.CMC. What do I do in my shops? Whatever my Gunny tells me to. It's/I'm pathetic, really.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's CMS custodian?

Communications Materials Security...you account for the issue, storage, handling and destruction of all classified crypto gear and code.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the bottom line here is that you can't control what you get, so make the best of it, regardless of what it is. Even the traditionally painful jobs like Legal O have their silver linings. If you're not a complete idiot, it can be a great way to get lots of good face time with the front office. If you are a complete idiot, it's a great way to get lots of career ending face time with the front office.

Brett

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Whatever ground job you have, it's going to suck. That's what ground jobs are for. Aside from dealing with the troopers, the paperwork, getting chewed by whatever hinge happens to be in the vicinity, and..the paperwork are enough to make you maul the skedso for flight time. BTW, any first job isn't going to be good. I am the legal O now and it can get nasty. Every time I walk into a shop, everyone averts their eyes because I am probably coming with a report chit. Oh well. The face time is right, whether I want it or not, the skipper/XO come and see me regularly with questions. The trick, I find is not knowing all of the information, but knowing where to go for the information. Take that under your wing, young Jedi, and you'll be fine. Good luck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nuc Weps Load Off. Not really a Div O job, and not an issue any longer, I suspect. The loading practice, reports, extra custodial B.S., inspections/exams, and overall level of responsibility and visibility, made it a royal pain in the a$$. All that and it was just another collateral duty on top of Div O jobs.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whatever ground job you have, it's going to suck. That's what ground jobs are for. Aside from dealing with the troopers, the paperwork, getting chewed by whatever hinge happens to be in the vicinity, and..the paperwork are enough to make you maul the skedso for flight time. BTW, any first job isn't going to be good. I am the legal O now and it can get nasty. Every time I walk into a shop, everyone averts their eyes because I am probably coming with a report chit. Oh well. The face time is right, whether I want it or not, the skipper/XO come and see me regularly with questions. The trick, I find is not knowing all of the information, but knowing where to go for the information. Take that under your wing, young Jedi, and you'll be fine. Good luck.

That's a horrible attitude to have going in to your first tour.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Like Brett said, that has to be one of the worst attitudes on this site I've seen yet.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Best job I had as a nugget - Aviation Life Support (PR's). Worst - detachment liason officer.