• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my chances of getting jets???

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How you do in your accession source (OCS, USNA, ROTC, blah blah) is considered in getting IN to the flight program.

How you do in the program is considered when selecting the pipeline.

In both cases, your performance and desires are tied for distant second to whatever the hell the Navy needs at that moment.

Moral: you gotta do good at what you're doing now to get what you want later. Sabes?

phrogpilot73

phrogpilot73, how did you get into the academy with a 1.96 GPA?
I enlisted in the Marine Corps. Because I still had strong enough SAT scores, once I enlisted - they looked more at my military performance than my grades. Not to mention, once you enlist you no longer compete with 11,999 of your peers. You're only competing with other prior enlisted guys. There are 170 slots reserved for prior enlisted, and in my class I'd say there were about 130-150 prior enlisted guys. As you can see, the competition pool is much smaller...

I wouldn't recommend the route I went to anybody, it took longer and was certainly not a guarantee. I do however use it to point out that if you put your mind to something (anything) you can accomplish it.

badger16

None
I had a 1.8GPA or something like that coming out of my freshmen year in High School. I worked my ass of and graduated with honors. I didn't have the grades though to get to University of Madison, so I went to a two year JC. I worked my ass off and transfered out (to Madison) a year early. If I can do this then anyone can. Good luck to your in the future.

Also, something that helped me out was to make a goal list at the start of each semester. I would put about 5 up there, then tape it to the celling above my bed, or next to it. You look at it at least twice a day and its a constant reminder. I've had (still do) a set of wings my brother gave me. Every time I look at them I am ready to run through a brick wall to get a pair of my own. I think it really helps to attain what you want , if you dangle it in front of your face every day....Sort of my carrot on the stick method.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I concur with the others, very good first post. Back when I was in High School and first had thoughts of flying Navy, it was at the end of my sophmore year, 1985 as I recall. Up to that point, my overall GPA was a 2.2, playing baseball is about all I liked to do (other than trying to score with girls). I changed my ways, worked a bit harder got decent grades my last two years. Picked up NROTC College Program (not hard at all to do) then picked up a two year NROTC scholarship and the flight program. I majored in letters or something like that as I recall. Point of all this is that if the Bunk can get there, anybody and I mean anybody can.

And for what it's worth, I graduated from High School near the bottom... With a 1.96 GPA specifically. I didn't give up on my dream and ended up graduating from the Naval Academy and becoming a Marine Helo Pilot.

Well, unlike most others on this board I did not pick up my grades or even really care until I was in college, though I was not as bad as Phrogpilot73! While getting decent grades in high school will help you get into college, it is at college where the grades count. The junior college idea is a good one so long as you get that four year degree in the end obviously. But the main thing is getting decent grades at college, getting an ROTC scholarship or into OCS is easier if the grades are higher.

Take it from someone who got better grades in college every semester but one, than in their entire high school career. If you learn good study habits now though it will be that much easier when you hit the books in college. Good luck with your dream!

P.S. No matter what you fly, no matter how ugly and unglamorous it is, you will love it. Phrogpilot73 and Bunk are living proof!

phrogpilot73

P.S. No matter what you fly, no matter how ugly and unglamorous it is, you will love it. Phrogpilot73 and Bunk are living proof!
Wait a minute... Are you saying that the mighty COD, and the glorious Battle Phrog are ugly and unglamorous?!? Shame on you!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait a minute... Are you saying that the mighty COD, and the glorious Battle Phrog are ugly and unglamorous?!? Shame on you!

Uhhh......Yes!

This is all news to me :)

Well, wake up and smell the fertilizer there Bunky!

I know both of my planes were ugly and unglamorous, I made the decision to go ugly early! Quit denying it guys, fat and ugly chicks are fun!!........sometimes.....:D

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
I know both of my planes were ugly and unglamorous, I made the decision to go ugly early! Quit denying it guys, fat and ugly chicks are fun!!........sometimes.....:D

So are skinny hot chicks...

Navy

Thanks for the posts, guys. I enjoy reading them. I’ll definitely keep junior colleges in mind. But for now, my focus will generally be with these next two months ahead (until the end of the third quarter). That’s all I have control over at the moment, really.

~Brian

phrogpilot73

Indeed. You can always dream of the future, but only in the present-moment can you start to make that dream a reality.
Great attitude, and now we can understand why your original question was so well thought out.

Also, I am living proof that if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything!