• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my chances of getting jets???

Navy

… Just kidding!

All joking aside, I want to use my first post to allow me to introduce myself to this forum. My name is Brian and I currently reside in Arlington, Virginia. I am in my junior year of High School. I have been interested in aviation for quite some time, and have been lurking these forums for well over a year. I must admit that up to this point, I have not been working hard at all to meet my goal of becoming a Naval Aviator. I have been getting C’s and D’s my entire life. I even came close to failing freshmen year! I hardly worked at all, rarely did homework, and rarely studied for tests. I’ve lived aimlessly day-to-day with no thought of the future. I want to change that.

I understand that if I am to achieve anything in the future, I must first make present-moment decisions. For the most part, all that means for me is to get good grades in school. My first semester ends January 18th and a new one begins the week after. I’m aiming for straight A’s for the new quarter! Other people can do it, so that means I can too. The only thing stopping me, or anyone else, is the lack of hard work, motivation, dedication, discipline, persistence, etc.

I’m posting here for a couple of reasons. First, I want to surround myself with people who have already been successful at what I want to be successful with. I think that will really motivate me and push me to work harder for my goals. Maybe I can find a personal mentor on here :). Second, I want to constantly expand my knowledge in this field. You can never learn enough about Naval Aviation. Although, all these acronyms are making my head spin! :spin_125:

I’ve been looking for good books to read through. I’ve read "To Be a U.S. Naval Aviator", "Bogeys and Bandits: The Making of a Fighter Pilot" (loved this one!), and have purchased the Fighter Pilot Power Pack. They were all very helpful and informative. Do you guys have any further recommendations?

If all goes well between now and the end of the school year, I may look into getting my PPL over summer break. I want to get a little taste of flight!

I’m looking forward to being here. Thanks for reading.

~Brian

PS: Wasn't sure where to put this post. There's not really a forum for introduction types posts.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
May I recommend:
School%20Books.jpg

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Schnugg is right. Success in school is the first and arguably most important step you can make. If you've been lurking, you know alot of the rest. Good luck.

Oh...What the hell is the Fighter Pilot Power Pack?:confused:

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
For a guy that gets crappy grades, you actually wrote quite a coherent and well-thought-out 1st post. Good job. So we know you have brains...

Now strive to get those marks up! If you find yourself struggling w/ the GPA at graduation, there's no harm in hitting up a Jr. College and xferring after a year or two. Get that degree and go get your commission!

Good luck!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I didn't really want to bring that up because of this thread. I personally don't know what issues people have with it, but I don’t think we should discuss it.

~Brian

Ahhh...roger that. All is clarity. I'm pretty sure I expressed my opinion in that thread but...

I can't speak to whether or not that information is worthwhile...or more importantly worth purchasing since I have never seen it. I will say, that many individuals have successfully pursued their goals without it, so it clearly isn't a must have. Does it help? Probably can't hurt.

Just a suggestion about flying after re-reading your post. Although getting your PPL is a great thing to do if you enjoy it, if your goal is just to get some aviation experience, I would try to find some glider pilots in the area. Since the time usually costs 1/3 of what power time costs, you can fly more hours, and afford to do more things starting there. Glider flying is real stick and rudder type stuff that requires a very fine touch on the controls...skills that will serve you well should you pursue aviation as a career. You will fly more and solo faster. Use this link to find locations etc...

http://www.ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp

Additionally if you do decide later that you want to pursue your PPL, your skills flying the aircraft will translate and you will progress much more quickly in the course of instruction. It's also, arguably, still the most fun I've had in an airplane.

Good luck again.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Welcome. Your post reflects that you know what's going on around here. Your thread title gave me visions of clubbing baby seals. I can't believe your user name wasn't already taken.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I concur with the others, very good first post. Back when I was in High School and first had thoughts of flying Navy, it was at the end of my sophmore year, 1985 as I recall. Up to that point, my overall GPA was a 2.2, playing baseball is about all I liked to do (other than trying to score with girls). I changed my ways, worked a bit harder got decent grades my last two years. Picked up NROTC College Program (not hard at all to do) then picked up a two year NROTC scholarship and the flight program. I majored in letters or something like that as I recall. Point of all this is that if the Bunk can get there, anybody and I mean anybody can.

Navy

@Schnugg: Yes, I definitely will bring my marks up, but some inspirational reading would be great as well ;). Any of you guys know of good magazine subscriptions?

@scoober78: School is definitely the most important thing I can do for myself right now. I’ve been continuously searching for information on Naval Aviation as well. The more knowledge I have the better prepared I will be, and the more informed decisions I will make.

The Fighter Pack has been a great source of information for me. It was the very first thing I looked at regarding aviation, so all the information was new. It compares and contrasts the three services and the different commissioning programs. It gives helpful tips for talking to a recruiter and going through flight school. You can also email the author with specific questions. However, the book does have a very heavy emphasis towards becoming a fighter pilot. Its website also states “How To Quickly and Easily Become A Fighter Pilot…” Even I know there’s nothing quick and easy about this process :rolleyes:. It’s very odd hearing that from a seasoned professional. But you have to remember that it’s just a sales pitch, and there is a lot of public interest for fighter jets.

I will say this, though. I have every intent on becoming a fighter pilot. I know that a lot of people that want to fly fighter jets come to this forum asking about percentages/chances or whatever and even if there was an accurate number, it still wouldn’t matter to me, because all that is beyond my control anyway. If I do really well with my GPA, and ASTB, and in flight school, I stand a good chance getting fighters. Even if I don’t get it, yes, I will probably be disappointed, but I haven’t met an aviator who didn’t like flying what they ended up with. It will all work out in the end.

Thanks for the information on gliders. It has never crossed my mind that they were an option. There are two locations less than an hour away from me. I’ll definitely look into it!

@WannaGoFast: I figure there are enough poorly thought-out and poorly written posts out there that I probably shouldn’t add to them :). I’ll keep 2-year colleges in mind when my senior year rolls around. Thanks for your post.

@usmarinemike: Yes, I’ve seen plenty of dead clubbed baby seals on these forums. I was also quite surprised that "Navy" has not been taken after eight years!

@bunk22: Thanks for the story. Your situation is similar to mine, but I’m realizing it a year later than you ;).

I get my 3rd quarter grades on April 7th. Regardless of what I get, I'm going to put them up here for all to see. That might be enough leverage for me to go all the way. :D

~Brian

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Good intro. I am not on an aviation career path, however, I was a jerk off in high school and didn't really straighten myself out until I was 21 or so. Now im 27 and going to OCS. Keep your eyes on the prize and everything is possible. Better you straighten up now then 5 years from now. Good Luck!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Brian, welcome to the boards. Good luck and keep us informed, and ask questions...

BTW... 42% get jets (baby seal officially clubbed, dead horse beaten)

Cheers,
Bubba

phrogpilot73

And for what it's worth, I graduated from High School near the bottom... With a 1.96 GPA specifically. I didn't give up on my dream and ended up graduating from the Naval Academy and becoming a Marine Helo Pilot.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If I do really well with my GPA, and ASTB, and in flight school, I stand a good chance getting fighters.

Your college GPA and test scores means nothing with regards to getting jets. Your grades in flight school will be the second most important item in select tailhook and jets. The Navy's needs will be the main factor in determining what you select.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
The best piece of advice I can give is something I had(ve) to learn myself. If you focus too much on the future, you lose sight of what's going on now. Don't surround yourself too much with fighter aircraft memorabilia. I say this because there is a difference between motivation and getting your head in the clouds. Your priority is a good GPA, which LEADS to an opportunity to fly. Don't get too caught up in the second step that you trip over the first.

Navy

Of course it's 42%! Come on, who doesn't know that? Case settled. I'm done with naval aviation. With a percentage like that, fighters are way out of my reach!

phrogpilot73, how did you get into the academy with a 1.96 GPA?

Your college GPA and test scores means nothing with regards to getting jets. Your grades in flight school will be the second most important item in select tailhook and jets. The Navy's needs will be the main factor in determining what you select.

That was bad wording on my part. It brings up a question, though. Does anything you do while in ROTC have any effect on what happens in flight school? What I meant with getting a good GPA is that it will secure you an SNA slot. However, I'm still learning all this, and of course, could be wrong.

BlackBearHockey, I really like that advice. Thank you.

~Brian