• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Well I guess ASW isn't dead after all -

danpass

It's not like we stopped practicing ASW in '91, you know.
What units have continued the practice?

I don't mean that TTPs have disappeared, I was thinking along the lines of airborne operations off carriers and destroyers. The first post lays it out nicely, the wiki says Jan 2009 was the last time the S-3 operated off a big deck. How many of the personnel involved in those operations are still in the Navy today? 50%? 30%?

Pags

N/A
pilot

I don't mean that TTPs have disappeared, I was thinking along the lines of airborne operations off carriers and destroyers. The first post lays it out nicely, the wiki says Jan 2009 was the last time the S-3 operated off a big deck. How many of the personnel involved in those operations are still in the Navy today? 50%? 30%?
It's not like VSs had a monopoly on ASW. Within the NAE VP and HSM have continued to practice ASW TTPs. Both of these communities' platforms are at least a generation ahead of the capabilities of the P-3 and 60B/F. And this is to say nothing of the SSN community; I'm sure they've managed to squeeze in some ASW practice here and there.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
We do have more assets for ASW than the S-3. Like these guys:
n8pswgoelaa2ya1kotrs.jpg

p-8a-poseidon_009.jpg

AIR_MH-60R_AQS-22_ALFS_Dip_lg.jpg

Just because we don't have a carrier based fixed wing asset doesn't mean we can't do ASW.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
OK I am an ASW non-expert - so who hunts the Red Team SSBN's? Is that outside the scope of airborne ASW assets? Is that the sole mission of the fast attack sub folks?
Obviously, you could use any of those platforms. However, their primary purpose is to protect blue forces (CSGs, the homeland, etc).

robav8r

None
Contributor

The ASW PMA in the S-3B community was removed long before 2009. It remained a non-acoustic platform with NFO's operating the APS-137 ISAR and, of course refueling the airwing . . . until the community went into sundown . . . .

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Is the P-8 able to drop buoys on its own again yet or does it still have to take a caddie along to make the drops for it?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the P-8 able to drop buoys on its own again yet or does it still have to take a caddie along to make the drops for it?

Caddie couldn't hack it anyways, returned to the club after the 4th hole.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
What is this "ASW" you speak of? All I know is ISR...

Must be one of them "7th Fleet" shenanigans I hear about.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So there are airborne assets that can find subs. But are they where they need to be? Whatever happened to the inner zone, middle zone, outer zone doctrine of CSG screening? Helos inner, VS mid, and VP outer. Sure, we occasional had FFGs with HSL in middle or outer zones, but they have gone the way of the War Hoover. Can multipurpose DDGs be spared for long term ASW like a transit? Knowing the number of buoys we would use over the course of days, 24/7, I really don't know if a DDG has the stores in their magazine, notwithstanding buoy loadout on the aircraft and rate of utilization of crew and aircraft. A VS squadron was flying at least 4 aircraft to meet that kind of demand. Direct support subs are great, but they have their own limitation and for the sake of our discussion not something one way or the other should be discussed (at least that was how DS subs were treated back in the day).