• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Weird Past

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I'm a junior in college, just entering dialogue with the local NOR about acquiring an aviation contract. However, of the litany of reasons this is my path to commissioning as opposed to NROTC or the USNA is that I fell into the totally wrong crowd towards the end of high school.

But despite that occurrence, I was clever, and I largely avoided contact with law enforcement during that time. I was arrested but not charged with disturbing schools, and while drugs were in the picture I was never caught with them and have been clean for years (blood, piss, hair, there's absolutely none of it in my system at this point). Only speeding tickets on my "record."

How much do I say? What do I say? I'm a staunch believer in integrity, but I don't want to damn myself with information they wouldn't have needed anyways. Additionally, I'd hate to withhold something out of fear and end up with the loving hand of NCIS in my life.

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
Open up about anything that they have the ability to find out for themselves (which is essentially everything).

exNavyOffRec

I'm a junior in college, just entering dialogue with the local NOR about acquiring an aviation contract. However, of the litany of reasons this is my path to commissioning as opposed to NROTC or the USNA is that I fell into the totally wrong crowd towards the end of high school.

But despite that occurrence, I was clever, and I largely avoided contact with law enforcement during that time. I was arrested but not charged with disturbing schools, and while drugs were in the picture I was never caught with them and have been clean for years (blood, piss, hair, there's absolutely none of it in my system at this point). Only speeding tickets on my "record."

How much do I say? What do I say? I'm a staunch believer in integrity, but I don't want to damn myself with information they wouldn't have needed anyways. Additionally, I'd hate to withhold something out of fear and end up with the loving hand of NCIS in my life.

It isn't just what you tell them, it is also what someone they interview from an investigation tells them, if it raises a flag that is an issue, better to tell them everything and let the chips fall where they may.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
It isn't just what you tell them, it is also what someone they interview from an investigation tells them, if it raises a flag that is an issue, better to tell them everything and let the chips fall where they may.
That's just it though. I tell them about the traffic citations and the disturbing schools arrest and bam - I've mentioned everything law enforcement should have documents on.

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
That's just it though. I tell them about the traffic citations and the disturbing schools arrest and bam - I've mentioned everything law enforcement should have documents on.
If that's the case then you should be fine after telling it to them. I came clean about my own arrest and smoking pot in high school, and that's all I needed to say.

I told them because it showed a level of integrity and honesty that's indicative of a Navy officer. Maybe the behavior itself wasn't indicative but at least I can own up to it and say that. They know about my past, and they can make an informed decision to weigh it against my experience and capabilities.

But if I hadn't said it, and it came up in security clearance then it's an immediate dismissal and my entire chance at being a Naval Pilot gets thrown at the window because I tried to slide something by.

exNavyOffRec

It isn't just what they will find out, it is what they could find out, anything that you have done that you were caught for, you would be surprised at the shit people say when they get in front of a person with the title of "investigator".

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
If you're already thinking about it from an angle of how much to withhold about yourself, then it sounds like you already know what the answer would be.

If you believe in integrity, why are you even asking the question?

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I was arrested but not charged with disturbing schools, and while drugs were in the picture I was never caught with them and have been clean for years (blood, piss, hair, there's absolutely none of it in my system at this point). Only speeding tickets on my "record."

What the hell is 'disturbing schools'?

You have to be honest about your past, if that includes taking drugs then so be it. For a very long time only experimentation with marijuana was waverable, anything more wasn't. Not sure if that is still the case but I imagine you will have problems if you were involved with any 'hard' drugs.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
What the hell is 'disturbing schools'?

You have to be honest about your past, if that includes taking drugs then so be it. For a very long time only experimentation with marijuana was waverable, anything more wasn't. Not sure if that is still the case but I imagine you will have problems if you were involved with any 'hard' drugs.
It means he acted up to the point it where he got himself hooked up for it. it's a disorderly conduct misdemeanor.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
To answer all of the above questions without going through the work of quoting them individually:

sevenhelmet - I am by no means contemplating lying to anyone. I am simply inquiring how much I should say without being asked.

Flash - Fortunately that is all, I only experimented with marijuana. hlg6016 hit it on the head with the disturbing schools arrest, though I mention again that I was not in fact charged with it, only arrested.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
....Flash - Fortunately that is all, I only experimented with marijuana. hlg6016 hit it on the head with the disturbing schools arrest, though I mention again that I was not in fact charged with it, only arrested.

You still report the arrest, even with no charge.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
You still report the arrest, even with no charge.
Understood. I reported it when applying for PLC, and the Corps gave me quite the runaround in exchange for it. But I had been planning to report that anyways, that whole situation was so nonsensical that the judge practically laughed it out of the court - I didn't even enter a plea.