• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weight of Individual Parts of Primary

crateofthunder

API, CBTs, FAMs 1-4, and Academics do not count towards your NSS. See the "sticky" thread posted at the top of this forum for a ROUGH equation on keeping track of NSS. I select Thursday so I will let you know how acurate my calculations have been all along.

Bernie Kosar

Alright, so I’ve read the posts that argue whether or not prior flight experience will help you during training (but that is not my question). It does seem logical that initially a guy with a bunch of flight hours will be more comfortable flying. Do they factor this into the scores that guys receive on the flights? For example, do you get a certain amount of flights that don’t count or anything like that?

Bernie Kosar

yes (see above) you have four flights that do not count towards your NSS

Yeah, sorry about that.... I read the forum (before those were posted) and then later came back and made the post (I tried to find the answer myself before making the post)....

During primary (after the first four flights) do they treat the guys with a bunch of flight hours any differently?

bfairfax

As far as I know the guys in primary that have lots of hours have the option of "testing out" of flights up to the fam check ride and perhaps some BI flights or something. This will hurt their mif ratio because the later flights have higher mifs, but the fact that they have fewer TGI should even that out.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I ask because nobody seems to know (evident from the wide array of different answers here alone) and lots of people want to.

It would be nice if it were actually in print (official print, that is ;)) somewhere...

It is in print somewhere, I just can't remember where. We were told the individual weight of each stage during one of the horribly boring check-in briefs we got. I think it was in the curriculum brief (the one that explains the MCG). I'm not 100% sure anymore, but I think that RIs and Forms carried the most weight towards your final NSS.

Yes, NSS is calculated according to the formula posted above, but different blocks of training do count for more/less.

Also, I second zippy's post. Academic NSS is not used to factor into where you go after Primary.

bfairfax said:
As far as I know the guys in primary that have lots of hours have the option of "testing out" of flights up to the fam check ride and perhaps some BI flights or something. This will hurt their mif ratio because the later flights have higher mifs, but the fact that they have fewer TGI should even that out.

I know several guys who were accellerated through the syllabus. If you are accellerated, you'll fly half as many flights but each one counts twice as much. You do not "test out" so to speak. I'm pretty sure you can be accellerated through every stage except PAs and Forms. None of them came out below a 65 and three guys were over 80. It helps boost your grades quite a bit because your TGI is significantly lower.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Having not read the entire thread, I'll throw my two Lincoln's in:

The place to really make your grades POP, are the longer blocks with the lowest MIFs. This means the beginnings of RI's (very crucial if you can get 4's and 5's where MIF is a 2), the second block of FAMS, early forms. The rest, like PA's, late forms, etc, you will pretty much be on par with your buddies.... Rock out in the sims... especially for RI's.

beau

Go Big early (or go home). usually ...early on....MIF is pretty low...so doing really good early on is worth more then doing really good later on (when MIF is higher). Confused yet??

When it gets down to it...you need to do the best you can throughout flight training. I would like to say dont worry about grades, but I'd be lying if I told you I didnt worry about them. Just use that energy towards doing better.
Dont look at your Score until they give it to you.....cuz it will be way off until you are done anyway!

P.S. know your weak points and work on them.....and look ahead so that you dont get suprised by stuff. Always have an Idea of what each block of training is building up to and dont get caught being lax after a hard block of sims/flights is complete....cuz something harder always seems to be lurking around the corner. Help your buddies....let them help you....etc..etc..etc.