• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weekend leave during Primary at Corpus?

Ben_Dover

Hey all,
Great site you have here. I've been following it for a year or so and there's a ton of great gouge on here. Unfortunately though, I have a question that hasn't been asked yet.
I was recently asked to be in a few weddings and I'm thinking I'll be in Corpus for primary during the dates of the weddings. Does anybody know if they allow SNA's weekend leave to fly home for such events? If you don't know, does anybody have a phone number for the powers at be in Corpus to ask such a question? Thanks!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hey all,
Great site you have here. I've been following it for a year or so and there's a ton of great gouge on here. Unfortunately though, I have a question that hasn't been asked yet.
I was recently asked to be in a few weddings and I'm thinking I'll be in Corpus for primary during the dates of the weddings. Does anybody know if they allow SNA's weekend leave to fly home for such events? If you don't know, does anybody have a phone number for the powers at be in Corpus to ask such a question? Thanks!

Its going to depend on the mood of your flight leader and the others who sign off on your leave chit (and also depend on where you'll be in training, how well your doing etc), but it is possible. Don't look for a fly day off though.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
It doesn't hurt to ask, the worst they can say is no. In most cases they will let you have the weekend off and you may even get to take a friday or monday off as well. You will constantly hear not to expect to get leave while in flight school, but people got it all the time from what I saw as long as it was a reasonable request.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, the first time I asked for leave to be in a wedding I was told by my flight leader "If you don't want to be here, we can make that happen in about a week...".Other times, I asked for it and got it with minimal or no problems. Its all just going to depend. Don't make any firm plans until you see that approved sheet in your hand though.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like a real sweetheart.

Yeah, he the moodiest guy I encounted in flight school who wasn't an O-4. The next week I went in there for a jacket review and he's granting leave request left and right... All about timming.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Just got back from a 3.5 day weekend that turned into a 4.2 day weekend due to cancelled flights. The "don't ask for leave" policy is a scare tactic. Unless you have pink sheets in your training jacket.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im guessing most of the decision is based on completion rates and projections. They have to make sure they are churning out the correct numebr of students to feed the giant pipeline on donw the line. If you are one of the last FY completers and they are under the gun dont count on it but if it is the beginning of the FY better chance. As said before all timing.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Also plan on having some compensating, complimentary WDO or Phone Watch.;)

The above seems accurate. Sometimes you get it...sometimes you don't...just how its going right now.

gaetabob

pilot
what's the travel radius for Corpus that you can go without taking leave? Are weekend hops up to Austin or Houston allowed? :icon_smil

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I forget what the limit is (perhaps the standard 300/350) but studs went to Austin and Houston all of the time.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, the first time I asked for leave to be in a wedding I was told by my flight leader "If you don't want to be here, we can make that happen in about a week...".Other times, I asked for it and got it with minimal or no problems. Its all just going to depend. Don't make any firm plans until you see that approved sheet in your hand though.

What a homo. He could have just said "No, not this time".

Rocky3168

I got leave this coming weekend starting at 1600 on friday. I already snived not to be scheduled in the afternoon because my flight leaves exactly at 1600. Is it a big deal to sign out on leave an hour or two early?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I got leave this coming weekend starting at 1600 on friday. I already snived not to be scheduled in the afternoon because my flight leaves exactly at 1600. Is it a big deal to sign out on leave an hour or two early?

Depends on the squadron, and its leave policy... if their policy is phone checkout, then shouldnt be a problem. In some squadrons its not a big deal to checkout after your last event of the day. If it was me I wouldnt try to checkout any earlier then 1400 or 1430 if this was the case (and I were flying out of CRP) and made sure i had a change of clothes in the car so I could just go directly to the airport.