• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Webb Quote

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
:eek:
Steve Wilkins said:
How many of you guys would care about your warfare pin (wings) as much as you do if it was as easy as SWO? Same concept applies to the academy. People naturally want what they can't have and want to be a part of the "elite."
Did Steve just finally admit aviators are better than SWOs!!!!!????? :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Shhhh....I was just going to tuck that quote away and use it when I need it later. :)

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
BRM21o said:
Personally, I think Plebe Summer should be a 6-week Bulldog/USMC type training led by a combination of Navy and Marine Corps drill instructors.

I fully agree with this suggestion. As a graduate and one who did 2/C summer detail for the plebes, this was one of my biggest criticisms. The training could be much more standardized and improved if it were led and run by professional military instructors with fleet experience, not a bunch of twenty-year olds (me included) with just two years of "Navy-land" under our belt. Honestly, it was a little hard for me to take a detailer seriously when told the phrase, "How are you gonna handle the pressures of combat if the sheets on your bed aren't folded correctly!!!" (or some other ridiculous item, take your pick). I know the purpose of plebe summer detail is also to help develop the upperclass' leadership skills, but I believe there are plenty of other opportunities to accomplish the same goal. Just an idea...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Old NFO said:
I always find Webb's quotes to be entertaining, especially concerning the Naval Academy, since his attitude toward classmates is rather interesting... I work with one of his classmates, and I asked one time why Webb never showed up at any functions; his answer, because Oliver North (another classmate) might and Webb hates him and refuses to be seen in public with him. Talk about petty BS!!!!

A little petty, maybe. But North did violate some of the most basic tenants of the Naval Academy honor code, like the whole lying thing. Not exactly a shining example of a USNA grad. I would have some problems associatign with a grad from my school who did the same things.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Flash said:
A little petty, maybe. But North did violate ....(blah, blah, blah).
It's got nothing to do with North's time in the Reagan administration and any politically inspired "obfuscation" to save Poindexter's and Baker's and Shultz's and Regan's and Weinberger's and Nancy's and the President's collective asses.

They -- Webb and North -- boxed @ USNA and Webb lost. Shocked the hell out of him. I say again, Webb lost. As they both had HUGE egos --- Webb never got over it and hated North for past, present, and into the foreseeable future.

Sometimes the devil is in the details .... :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
It's got nothing to do with North's time in the Reagan administration and any politically inspired "obfuscation" to save Poindexter's and Baker's and Shultz's and Regan's and Weinberger's and Nancy's and the President's collective asses.

They -- Webb and North -- boxed @ USNA and Webb lost. Shocked the hell out of him. I say again, Webb lost. As they both had HUGE egos --- Webb never got over it and hated North for past, present, and into the foreseeable future.

Sometimes the devil is in the details .... :)

Maybe Webb's ego is that big, I don't know either man personally. But whatever else you decide to call it, politically inspired "obfuscation" or anything else, Oliver North lied to Congress and broke the law, period. That would be enough reason for me to not associate with an alumnus from my school.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Flash said:
Maybe Webb's ego is that big, I don't know either man personally. But whatever else you decide to call it, politically inspired "obfuscation" or anything else, Oliver North lied to Congress and broke the law, period. That would be enough reason for me to not associate with an alumnus from my school.

I read a story about how North went and stole/destroyed some medical records so that he could go USMC; otherwise he would have been disqualified... years later, the watchstander said he regretted letting him do it because it was stealing and lying, violations of the USNA honor concept. At the time however, he thought it was just heroic, that a man had that much dedication to become a Marine.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Flash said:
Maybe Webb's ego is that big.....whatever else you decide to call it..... North lied to Congress and broke the law, period. That would be enough reason for me to not associate with an alumnus from my school.
I don't know the finite size of the Webb/North ego pool, either ... I only know their history.

Lie to Congress? Break the "law"?? You have evidently never participated in an operation where "plausible deniability" was one of the cornerstones of the op. That's surprising, given your background. You can't be that naive ... surely.

I'm curious ... what would YOUR response be when ordered to do what North was ordered to do --- i.e., screw the Ayatollahs with second rate gear, take their money, and give it to the Contras --- then "lie" about it in the "interest" of national policy when questioned by an agenda-driven hostile congressional "inquiry" looking for heads to chop off ??? I suppose you would refuse the order and tell your political masters ... "NO"??? :)

Please ..... :sleep_125