• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Waterfront property in the Spratlys? Good investment or not?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Duerte is cozying up to China strictly to spite the US. Obama had the temerity to suggest maybe gunning down drug addicts in the street wasn't the wisest policy. Sooner or later the Chinese will do or say something that he'll also take as a personal insult and tell them to fuck off too. He's going to leave the PI militarily weak and friendless in a neighborhood where it's unwise to be either.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The drug issue, which was nothing more than a relatively benign normal State comment about concern over the situation, was just the latest excuse. He's using it to chest thump and rile up some long-brewing anti-U.S. sentiment in the name of national pride. Since inauguration, he's been dragging out everything he can to bolster his anti-U.S. message. Moro massacre, '02 mystery bomb, "US won't sell us arms" (what?), SOF presence increases violence," "we don't get as much money as Pakistan"...I was in Manila last year before the election during the campaign and he met with the international Embassy crowd and said some particularly anti-U.S. things that were so out there he may as well have farted into the mic. I think he wagered we would blink or announce some new aid plus-up (when they already get over 50% of FMF in PACOM, plus MSI, plus 2282, plus CN...). Meanwhile popular support steadily increases, I went again in August and every other car has a pro-D bumper sticker, this week's protests at the U.S. Embassy...commence descent checklist...

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
It's unfortunate but in PI politics the trainwreck is ops normal. My wife has been streaming the news from Manila since before his election. They kind of make our current election drama lok like a church social.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The drug issue, which was nothing more than a relatively benign normal State comment about concern over the situation, was just the latest excuse. He's using it to chest thump and rile up some long-brewing anti-U.S. sentiment in the name of national pride.....Meanwhile popular support steadily increases, I went again in August and every other car has a pro-D bumper sticker, this week's protests at the U.S. Embassy...commence descent checklist...

I wonder how long that sky-high support will last though. I know there is some deep resentment of the US and its history in the Philippines but the US is still a big destination for Filipino immigrants, not temporary workers like elsewhere, and there are still the long-standing historical ties between us and them. Some senior government officials are already starting to walking back what Duterte said in China and others are asking for 'clarification'. While the rule of law in the PI might be a lot weaker than here I think Duterte might start running into obstacles if he continues to drive Philippine foreign policy off a cliff.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Duterte's tactic of "say some crazy shit" followed by "he didn't mean it" by his cabinet...total lack of mutual transparency in their own inter-agency...bizarre statements on acquisition efforts (that only serve to question who is advising on talking points)...maddening. I've been working PI for 3 years and turned over yesterday, Just.In.Time. Booger flicked. I'm off to buy a lottery ticket.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
That's a pretty fair sized surface combatant:

http://www.popsci.com/chinas-largest-surface-warship-first-type-055-destroyer-takes-shape

In the Jiangnan Changxing shipyards, one of China's largest shipyards, the next generation of Chinese warships is taking shape. The first Type 055 destroyer began construction in 2015 and is expected to have a full displacement of over 14,000 tons. This would make it the largest non-capital surface warship built in Asia since the World War II era Imperial Japanese Tone class cruisers.

jmcquate

Contributor
One of my former assistants is Phillpino from a family with long long ties to the US and the Navy (her dad was Adm. McCain's steward). She tells me from family still there that Duterte has a Mussolini "well, the trains are running on time" fascist appeal right now.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a pretty fair sized surface combatant:

http://www.popsci.com/chinas-largest-surface-warship-first-type-055-destroyer-takes-shape

In the Jiangnan Changxing shipyards, one of China's largest shipyards, the next generation of Chinese warships is taking shape. The first Type 055 destroyer began construction in 2015 and is expected to have a full displacement of over 14,000 tons. This would make it the largest non-capital surface warship built in Asia since the World War II era Imperial Japanese Tone class cruisers.
Is this a fad or something? I'm sure the term translates to something else in Mandarin Chinese anyway, so can we please as an English-speaking military community come to the realization that there is a proper term for a warship best described as "regonkulously large destroyer," and that that term is "cruiser?"

Yes, previously they had different hulls. Yes, one's commanded by a guy with leaves on his collar, and the other a guy with eagles. But still. Zumwalt is a perfect example. It's huge. It's commanded by an O-6. THAT MAKES IT A FREAKING CRUISER, NOT A DDG!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Is this a fad or something? I'm sure the term translates to something else in Mandarin Chinese anyway, so can we please as an English-speaking military community come to the realization that there is a proper term for a warship best described as "regonkulously large destroyer," and that that term is "cruiser?"

Yes, previously they had different hulls. Yes, one's commanded by a guy with leaves on his collar, and the other a guy with eagles. But still. Zumwalt is a perfect example. It's huge. It's commanded by an O-6. THAT MAKES IT A FREAKING CRUISER, NOT A DDG!

That was the author's terminology, not mine. I agree with you.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Wonder if the Chinese could use this in the area.

AIRSHOW CHINA: AG600 amphibian makes public debut

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/airshow-china-ag600-amphibian-makes-public-debut-430904/

getasset.aspx