• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Waterfront property in the Spratlys? Good investment or not?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Interesting article from the WSJ, especially in light of Speaker Pelosi’s recent visit to Taiwan.

Excellent analysis. I agree that China is nearing a weak patch and may want to strike out at Taiwan in an effort to prop up Xi and his people. While I hope this is nothing more than some saber rattling and peace will follow…things could get messy soon.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Excellent analysis. I agree that China is nearing a weak patch and may want to strike out at Taiwan in an effort to prop up Xi and his people. While I hope this is nothing more than some saber rattling and peace will follow…things could get messy soon.
One thing I noticed in the article was that the authors (rightly) mentioned how difficult it would be for China to mount an amphibious invasion - but neglected to describe how difficult it would be for the US to logistically prosecute a war on the other side of the Pacific without a robust merchant marine.*

Likewise one of the lessons from the Russia-Ukraine war that is having to be relearned is the massively accelerated consumption of ammunition and supplies stockpiles. Do you have a heavy manufacturing base able to expand - not incrementally but by several factors - to support an old school, sustained industrial war?

* Article in USNI that basically says the Gator Navy is useless in a peer competitor fight and suggest using the ships for logistics. Not sure if I agree with it but I enjoyed the different perspective.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One thing I noticed in the article was that the authors (rightly) mentioned how difficult it would be for China to mount an amphibious invasion - but neglected to describe how difficult it would be for the US to logistically prosecute a war on the other side of the Pacific without a robust merchant marine.*

Likewise one of the lessons from the Russia-Ukraine war that is having to be relearned is the massively accelerated consumption of ammunition and supplies stockpiles. Do you have a heavy manufacturing base able to expand - not incrementally but by several factors - to support an old school, sustained industrial war?

* Article in USNI that basically says the Gator Navy is useless in a peer competitor fight and suggest using the ships for logistics. Not sure if I agree with it but I enjoyed the different perspective.

Logistics is the limiting factor in any conflict. I’m with you and don’t believe using Amphibs for logistics is the right answer.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Depends on what kind of war is going to get fought. Also there is no realistic way to 'fix' the fact our merchant marine fleet is relatively small, unless you want to turn capitalism even more on its head.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The typical* way the US has fought wars:
1. Wait until war has started
2. Bring in people from street to fleet
3. Reinvent wheels
4. Figure things out as the war is wrapping up (if we’re lucky)

I expect it to be this way if we have to fight an elongated China conflict and reinstate the draft.

.* Exceptions being Grenada, Panama, Desert Storm, Somalia, Kosovo, all of which were either short or small.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The world: “You know Taiwan is its own country, right?”
PRC: “Roger, China owns country Taiwan.”
The world: “No no, it was a question. Interrogative.”
PRC: “Roger. Ok, China now interrogate Taiwan.”