• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WATCHES: Question for all you Aviators

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Well, since one EA-6B Bubba was de-gloved during ejection (partly due to the fact that he was wearing a non-break-away watch; read METAL BAND), I always wear a Casio POS ($12 NEX) while flying.

For dress-up, the ROLEX always works well.

ea6bflyr

Oh yeah, and lets remind all the newbies that de-gloving doesn't mean losing your glove. This ECMO lost all his fingers and part of his hand. The metal band of his watch caught on the canopy bow and that was it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Dawgfan: Yeah, I hear you. Although it's not like the things are made out of Legos, and it happens all the time. I'm sure I lost mine when I banged into a door or something.

@Squeeze: That's the model I have. Set your sights a little higher. It's not a "mere" $2000. Come on, we aviators do things better than that. ;) It's $3200. Your price sounds about right, though. I think our deal was $600 before the band (if you wanted the kevlar one).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
OK fair enough, America won the war in Vietnam ......!
We "DID WIN" the "WAR" in Vietnam, imbecile .... show me where we lost.

Our gutless politicians gave away our sacrifice -- very European of them, actually. I can understand your confusion, however, what with all the whore (read: $$$$$) European governments supporting the NV while my brothers in uniform from the good 'Ole USA --- you know, the same ones who saved your sorry Euro-asses many, many times over, were making yet another sacrifice so you could keep on snorting, shooting up, driving your overpriced cars, smoking your crappy cigarettes and doing whatever else that might suit your fancy....

And if Bond, James Bond, did not wear a Rolex, then I guess the pen of Ian Fleming must have been spastic. Check out a book from your local library and see what it says. While you're at it --- check the military history section on Vietnam ....

Oh ...... and all those Euro-ass savings mentioned above and the Marshal Plan, to boot ??? --- You're welcome.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Call me crazy, but I like my plain-jane Swiss Army.

sa_24228_sol_a03.jpg

East

东部
Contributor
We "DID WIN" the "WAR" in Vietnam, imbecile .... show me where we lost.

Our gutless politicians gave away our sacrifice -- very European of them, actually. I can understand your confusion, however, what with all the whore (read: $$$$$) European governments supporting the NV while my brothers in uniform from the good 'Ole USA --- you know, the same ones who saved your sorry Euro-asses many, many times over, were making yet another sacrifice so you could keep on snorting, shooting up, driving your overpriced cars, smoking your crappy cigarettes and doing whatever else that might suit your fancy....

And if Bond, James Bond, did not wear a Rolex, then I guess the pen of Ian Fleming must have been spastic. Check out a book from your local library and see what it says. While you're at it --- check the military history section on Vietnam ....

Oh ...... and all those Euro-ass savings mentioned above and the Marshal Plan, to boot ??? --- You're welcome.

At first I have to admit that I don't agree how Governments in Europe act as a union. We are seperate countries and will always be. Just by the fact that there are different interests will keep Europe seperated. I hate the French/German point of view on the Iraq issue and that will always be a part of Eurpean politics. I will never believe in a United Europe.

Furthermore I think it's at least unpolite to call a someone imbicile because of a different view (haven't seen a smiley this time, so you must be meaning it). Beside that, I really hope that you are more tolerant on your B747 flightdeck than expressed on this forum. Civil aviation nowadays stands with CRM and with your way of communicating, ruling everyone out who has a different mindset is not very professional. That's one of the greatest problems with former military (single) jetjocks in multi crewed aicraft.

I think the US is a great country and has done in 200 years what Europe lacked to do. A Superpower (Economic as well as Military) and every American should be being proud of that. I wish I could have lived within the US, but sometimes things goes as they went. About Vietnam I only want to say that I regret every single life lost over the conflict as well as afterwards.
It was a bad decision to pull the plug in '75, but internal US public pressure became to high for the ruling politicians at that time. I agree that with just military power all the "gooks" would be blown beyond their stoneage...bet hey, it's history.

I am not trying to piss you off, I do have a huge and enormous respect for your Naval Career and everything you did in your (younger) life, don't get me wrong. People like you are the backbone of a community who makes things happen. Not really an attitude what is easily found on this side of the pond.
The way you write things down reminds me of my Dad who was also a Naval Officer except in another Navy. Another generation though...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.......Furthermore I think it's at least unpolite to call a someone imbicile (sic) because of a different view (haven't seen a smiley this time, so you must be meaning it). Beside that, I really hope that you are more tolerant on your B flight deck ......

Now what was this thread about ??? James Bond ??? Rolexes ??? Rubber watches ??? Oh , wait .....

im·be·cile (
ibreve.gif
m
prime.gif
b
schwa.gif
-s
ibreve.gif
l, -s
schwa.gif
l) n.

1. A stupid or silly person; a dolt.
2. A person whose mental acumen is well below par.
3. A person of moderate to severe mental retardation having a mental age of from three to seven years and generally being capable of some degree of communication and performance of simple tasks under supervision. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

You're right --- I apologize for calling you an imbecile (sic) , but you'll have to admit --- 2 out of 3 (above) ain't bad. I was going to put a AW smiley in there somewhere --- just couldn't make up my mind as to where.

I have no patience with the uniformed who think we "lost" in Vietnam in the field. Talk to a couple of my buds who spent some down time in the Hilton for confirmation on that point.

And the 747 and CRM ??? I don't suffer fools lightly in the cockpit. And what your hopes and dreams are for me is moot. Then again, just to reassure you, on normal flights and/or emergencies over the years, I have had several crew members tell me voluntarily (no gun held to the head) that they "learned" more from me than any other Captain they had flown with .... even had a Chief Pilot spew similar sentiments while flying together when I was a F/O ..... but that's not what it's about. If they learned something, fine. That's how I came up --- learning from others. Guys either hate flying with me or they love it. It's funny how the same 15-20 guys keep bidding my schedules every month --- but they must be masochists, yes ??? I do my job, make the company lots of money, and bring 'em back alive. Even though they want to cut my pay by 25% and fly me 25% more .....

Some here won't like this, but ..... CRM is for the lowest common denominator pilot: it's the bottom line, the entry point. It's the minimum. It's was also created to protect the company and use as a club on the pilot group for compliance. It's for those who possess limited or no leadership qualities or skills and gives them a crutch so they can survive in the world of aviation. That's also fine, everybody's got to be somewhere. But you don't "manage" airplanes, you fly them. You don't "manage" crew members, you "lead" them. You are either knowledgeable, skillful, and rate your four stripes, or not. I have solved more problems than I can remember both airborne and on the ground by doing what was RIGHT --- not necessarily the classroom solution, the expedient, certainly not the PC, or the touchy-feely. I knew what the right course was and I made the decision. I'm still basically batting 1.000 ..... but I still know my personal limitations and respect the environment I'm in .....

Sorry if I disappoint anyone here ..... :) :) :) :) .... smiley's ... How's that ???

The 747 ??? The airlines ??? CRM ??? It ain't Vietnam by a long shot .....

East

东部
Contributor
Apologies taken.

I hope you will have a long time up there without any potential mishaps that your fellow crewmembers might have noticed, but are unable to express out loud or have any hesitation due to your authority or leadership.

A lot of the Korean Airlines accidents/incidents in the recent past were tracable towards bad CRM and too much seniority in the Flightdeck. In some cases the authority and seniority was with the Chief F/E and he called the shots. That's part of Asian heritage which is not easily ruled out out of peoples systems. As junior F/O at Korean Airlines you were only allowed to carry the bags for the Capt and F/E and use of the VHF. KLM had a similar accident at Tenerife in the late '70s where the F/O as well as the F/E were blocked to express their thoughts due to a dominating Captain and did hat HE thought was right. Nobody on that KLM 747 nor the Panam B747 he took with him were able to tell him that afterwards.

Anyway, the topic was about watches; Breitling it is for me.

p.s. as you are referring to the dictionary, pls tell me the meaning of "moot".
English is not my language so pls accept if things sounds different than fellow americans would...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, since one EA-6B Bubba was de-gloved during ejection (partly due to the fact that he was wearing a non-break-away watch; read METAL BAND), I always wear a Casio POS ($12 NEX) while flying.
F-E10-1B.jpg

For dress-up, the ROLEX always works well.

ea6bflyr

I have a nice Swiss Army watch right now but would love a Breitling B-1 http://www.breitling.com/en/models/professional/b1/ A great watch to try and shoot down all the time........"There I was, pulling 3G's in Dixie, getting spanked by a Hornet for the 4th time.......":icon_smil

As for in a plane, a big digital one is nice, especially when you don't have a lot of time to look at a couple of hands (I'm slow). Just make sure it is accurate ;) .

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
nkawtg said:
...I hope you will have a long time up there without any potential mishaps that your fellow crewmembers might have noticed, but are unable to express out loud or have any hesitation due to your authority or leadership.
Gee whiz, sparky .... KAL 007 .... that's me, all right. Please spare me ... you've never heard any of my briefing(s) nor flown with me .... you don't have a clue regarding what you are talking about .... :)

van nkawtg said:
....p.s. as you are referring to the dictionary, pls tell me the meaning of "moot"...
"Moot" .... see Dictionary.com

p.s. just so there's not any confusion --- I have it on good authority that the Captain of KAL 007 was wearing a Breitling ... he probably should have worn a Rolex ... A4s OUT.

East

东部
Contributor
Gee whiz, sparky .... KAL 007 .... that's me, all right. Please spare me ... you've never heard any of my briefing(s) nor flown with me .... you don't have a clue regarding what you are talking about .... :)

Indeed did not fly with you, nor will never happen. I do have a clue where I am talking about as I fly on a daily basis with ex-(single) jetjocks experiencing difficulties in a MCC (Multi Crew Concept) environment as specified in the JAR/Ops.

"Moot" .... see Dictionary.com
Is this what was meant with moot:confused: still confused
Did not go to law school nor was in an English meeting??

[moot ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mt)
n.
Law. A hypothetical case argued by law students as an exercise.
An ancient English meeting, especially a representative meeting of the freemen of a shire.

NKAWTG OUT

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
:confused:
That's like saying "I like my Focus" if someone mentions their Ferrari. Not even the same sport... let alone the same ballpark.

When you can't afford the ferrari then the focus has the quality...never had a problem with my fossil and it has a lifetime warrenty...as for a Ford Focus, I hate those things...

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Anyone,

Is it to late to get in on the X-33 deal. I dont remember hearing about it in my squadron. Who was the POC for Breitling? Anyone?