• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WARNING- Service Selection packets

BerkeleyNROTC09

Funny story:

So for any of you 1/C's out there, I'm sure you realized that they changed the due date for the Service Selection packets from late October to just a week or so ago.

Well, after I finished my letters and got back to our Unit the following week, my LT said he needed to see me in his office. The past weeks events were running through my head as I walked into his office, and I was hoping I hadn't done anything too stupid... just to find out it was about the Commissioning letters.

Apparently putting Nuke SWO as your third choice is a B.A.D. idea. He told me I was to report to DC in the next few weeks for the ADM's Interview Process...luckily, they leave in 10 days, and I haven't gotten any orders yet, maybe I'm one of the lucky ones...

Just a warning in case anyone is still filling out their paperwork. (late)

navy09

None
That sucks dude. I put SWO(N) 3rd as well, if I get called down there, I'll just tell them (very politely) that I don't want to go nuke...

hanginthere

thanks for the gouge, i have SWO(N) down as my third, but only to try to discourage them from putting me up for that interview, i thought all they wanted was sub mariners ha ha, well I'm not graduating till Dec '09 so hopefully all this Nuke-pushing will blow over by that time, I'm definitely not going to hold my breath though...

navy09

None
thanks for the gouge, i have SWO(N) down as my third, but only to try to discourage them from putting me up for that interview, i thought all they wanted was sub mariners ha ha

I had the same idea in putting SWO(N) as my requisite nuke option. But I'm thinking they may just want to get bodies to that interview, select them for nuke, then worry about trying to convince them to go subs later.

well I'm not graduating till Dec '09 so hopefully all this Nuke-pushing will blow over by that time, I'm definitely not going to hold my breath though...

Ya don't hold it. They've been hurting for sub-nukes (and NFOs for that matter) for the three years I've been in the program. The change in selection procedure to force everyone to list nuke as a choice just shows that they're hurting worse than usual.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's your career & future. If you don't want NUKE, then tell them NO now, before they waist money trying to convert you or "qualifying" you.

-ea6bflyr ;)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
IM SAFE? In the community that prides itself on taking a non-qual'd JO, keeping him awake for 30 hours straight, and then putting him on the bridge of a billion dollar warship from 0200-0800?

not likely.

alyssabr

so about packets and letters, my unit put our packets in without the normal letters about why you want to be a pilot, swo etc, and just had a run of the mill form for us to sign, no comments or anything!!! Did anyone else have this same sort of sheet??

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never seen for ROTC mids anything where you submit statements about why you want to be a specific designator unless it was for EOD or SEALs.

vulcanx

Banned
I know a female 1/C who is being pressured into interviewing even with Cs in physics and a clear desire to not do anything nuke.

Crazy.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I've never seen for ROTC mids anything where you submit statements about why you want to be a specific designator unless it was for EOD or SEALs.

We did one. It was referred to as a "brag sheet" about why you wanted to be considered for the community and what you thought you could offer it. I've met guys who didn't do one. Either way, I doubt it carries much (if any) weight in service selection. I don't know for certain, though.