• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Warning: Everything at ocs has changed

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
and you'd have it no other way, would you? That's part of the reason to do this job - goofing off with the guys when the demands of the job aren't so pressing. You'd be fired in the "outside" were you to pull half the crap you do in the Navy.

Hell no I wouldn't! :D It's the shit like this that you remember when it's time to move on to the next phase of life.

Perfect example was my girlfriends dad was a CMC up in Willow Grove and the victim of his prank relayed this story during his retirement. Got a new CO in and during the summer it was getting hot and the AC wasn't working. So her dad graciously offered to set up and old box fan to blow air into the CO's office, which of course the CO appreciated. As the day went on... he noticed it was just getting hotter and hotter in his office and not cooler. When he got up to investigate, as he peeked around the corner of the door, he saw the CMC had tactically positioned a space heater around the corner, facing towards the fan. :)

I've got dozens of stories of things I've pulled and had them done to me. Just gotta take it with a grain of salt and laugh about it while you can. One thing I've learned in my career... if people f*ck with ya.. it's because they like you. If they don't... well... they don't.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Here's a copy of the wall o' text, formatted for humans to read.

Much of what you will read on air warriors will now not apply to you for OCS. Don’t get me wrong - much of the information you will find will still be useful. The new program is called “The Way Ahead,” which is evolving and changing with each class. I just recently completed OCS so I have a fairly accurate idea of what you will be going through. If you have any questions about OCS or the beginning of a SWO’s career path <redacted> make sure and post it on this thread and not in a PM because others will most likely have the same question.

Below is a quick summary of the new OCS schedule you will most likely have or something close to it.

First Three Weeks: Indoctrination/Militarization Phase
Week 1: Wake Up THURSDAY
Week 2: Friday-Outpost

Week Four-Week Nine: Academic Phase
Week 4: RLP
Week 6: ORLP
Week 8: PI Inspection
Week 9: Saturday-Victory Run, Drill Comp., You Become a CandiO

Week 10-12: CandiO Phase
Week 10: PI Inspection
Week 12: Thursday- Hi Moms, Friday-Graduation

Best advice:

- Buy a sharp pair of small sewing scissors from Hobby Lobby or Wal-Mart for cutting off IPs.
- Bring as much of your RLP stuff in your pockets back with you. As soon as you get your first POV run in your pockets, the CandiOs will try and scare you but bring it back anyway.
- Don’t stay up late talking to people.
- Every night pick an item to IP or stamp, starting the day or two after you arrive.
- EVERY NIGHT stay up for 30 minutes or so and prepare for RLP and ORLP after that. Try and get as much sleep as possible after that, as preparing for RLP will save you a lot of pain and possibly rolling to another class in the future.

Academics:
You will have all classes at the same time. You will be distracted. You will be very tired, WAYYY more than you think you will be - think passing out while standing up tired, but it is essential starting day one that you pay attention in class, as they are stressing academics way more than they used to. You must pass tests or you will roll. This is why it essential you go to bed AT TAPS during the academic phase. Trust me, it pays dividends. For example, over half of both classes failed our first engineering test. It's much harder than it used to be.

Make sure and start IPing and even more so STAMPING as soon as you get to OCS, as it will take way longer than you think. Do not cut the strings so close though that you destroy your uniforms, they cost a ton and yes you will be wearing them later in your career. One last thing - as soon as you get your uniforms, set at least one set of each article aside and do not use them, as you will want them to be perfectly clean and in mint condition for RLP. Most importantly, put aside a set of PT gear, shirt, shorts, sweats, and buy an extra pair of running shoes for RLP.

Hang in there through the application process and OCS. It will probably be the hardest thing you go through in your life but when you put on those dress blues and graduate it will all be worth it. You will reach your breaking point - at sometime in OCS everyone will reach it - the question is will you push through it or will you quit? What helped me get through mine was going to church every Sunday, no matter how much stuff I had to do, and praying constantly. I seriously could not have gotten though it without God’s help. Stick in there guys and gals, hopefully I will be seeing you out in the fleet soon. Best of luck!!!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Here's a copy of the wall o' text, formatted for humans to read.

I was hoping for a GENADMIN message version- all caps, revised grammar (replacing first and second person subjects by indefinite articles), max obfuscation by liberal use of obscure terms and phrases, abbreviations, acronyms, and much much more institutional jargon... and starting with a list of references... :)

A

AlexSmart

Hey I dont mean to sound like a total slapdick, but whats an Ip?

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Hey I dont mean to sound like a total slapdick, but whats an Ip?

Irish Pennant (sp?). It's basically a loose strand of thread coming off of your uniform and it doesn't matter where on your uniform, in a pocket or the cuff of your sleeve.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Also, I heard that they are switching to yellow Powerade in the chow hall. Expect your shits (taken undoubtedly during sweepers) to no longer be green.

alpineskier

gear up, Newspaper, your airplane
pilot
Blue Powerade=green shit. That made me laugh. I miss that shit (no pun intended). I wonder if they have gotten rid of the Sunday special, Creole mac. Worst shit ever!

brownshoe

Contributor
Would someone take Ensign Pulver (OP) aside and explain the Navy to him? OCS/bootcamp teaches us to be Sailors! Ain’t nothin’ changed that I can see.

Still the same:

Steve

Shpion1

Contributor
I've got dozens of stories of things I've pulled and had them done to me. Just gotta take it with a grain of salt and laugh about it while you can. One thing I've learned in my career... if people f*ck with ya.. it's because they like you. If they don't... well... they don't.

If your daily ops during cruise don't involve making someone, either another JOPA member or preferably a Hinge "crack" then you're doing it wrong. And most of the memories don't involve the daily crap of duty, or opsnormal, they involve walking into an wardroom AOM 5 min late, with the bag tied around my waist and sitting in the OICs spot. Cause we KNEW, the AOIC would spool about being on time is late, being late better not show up, and what the F was my bag doing around my waist, unprofessional, etc etc, and as soon as the spittle would start flying, I'd walk up to the board, put a little slash by his name and walk back to my spot. Then later being told not to do that again. Riiiight. Repeat in 7 days, same time, same batchannel, same reaction.

Would someone take Ensign Pulver (OP) aside and explain the Navy to him? OCS/bootcamp teaches us to be Sailors! Ain’t nothin’ changed that I can see.

Still the same:

Steve

If only he had used this Tom Petty video maybe he could've gotten some added rep. Good soundtrack for me in about 2 weeks. +1

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Blue Powerade=green shit. That made me laugh. I miss that shit (no pun intended). I wonder if they have gotten rid of the Sunday special, Creole mac. Worst shit ever!

Creole mac is still alive and terrible. Looks so tempting, tastes like dirt and rotten meat.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Steak and crablegs with war spoon was my fav. Also, when we were allowed to have it... F all of you guys who used that Raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
It was nasty as hell and annoying to see your faces covered in it.
Except for ribs, that was awesome to see everyone eat like 3 year olds.