• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

War in Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRfly

None
I think a lot of Israelis are rightly asking whether or not the guy who has held power since 2009 almost continuously doesn't deserve some blame for what is unfolding. He's likely an impediment to any resolution to the crisis long term.
You're right. It would likely be better for everyone if he went quietly into the night. But as he's facing indictment, not likely. And for many in Israeli politics, he's the "devil they know."

IRfly

None
Those aren’t refugee camps as most would understand them but long-standing neighborhoods in the urban landscape of Gaza with permanent buildings. They have remained as refugee camps for decades because there has been no permanent solution to resettling those Arabs who fled or were driven out of what is now Israel after the ‘47-48 war. These also exist at least in Lebanon and Syria as well, where the governments have refused to let Palestinian refugees fully settle and gain citizenship. It is purposeful on everyone’s part but for some of the refugees.

This isn’t just an Israel-caused problem but a regional one where everyone has let the problem fester for their own reasons, usually selfish. That includes Egypt, that steadfastly refuses to admit Palestinians to the country or open the Gaza border.

So ‘bombing refugee camps’ makes good press but the reality is a bit more nuanced.
You're right about the nature of the "camps." But I'm not sure "bombing densely populated residential neighborhood" makes it better.

Mirage

pilot
Yeah, I guess the larger point is that Israel has killed far more civilians in this war than Hamas. How would you react if Russia bombed the shit out of residential areas in densely populated cities and killed a bunch of children, only to repeat the act the next day? I think we know the answer to that... We accused them of war crimes.

Aside from all that, though, I think this is about the worst thing Israel could do to ensure support for their cause continues. I don't want my tax dollars going towards murdering kids in Gaza, and I doubt I'm alone.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Interesting article on Slate about the impact of Pres. Biden's support on domestic politics--specifically, the disconnect between the president's reflexive and broad support for Israel's continuing action in Gaza and the views of younger voters that will be vital to his potential re-election.

"When asked if the U.S. should send weapons and supplies to Israel, 59 percent of respondents under 30 said it should not. An even more resounding 64 percent of those between age 30 and 44—a bracket more likely to vote that carries the whole millennial generation and part of Gen X—said the U.S. should not."

Beyond the impact on the 2024 presidential election, this is interesting as a trend for US-Israeli politics as a whole...
In The Guardian today:

IRfly

None
Come on man, this goes beyond what one woman thinks. For an American politician to lose votes because of support for Israel would be a monumental event.

I know, some of the wise greybeards of AW might think that voters will forget in the next 12 months. But for Arab voters, a significant constituency in an important swing state (Michigan), who are probably more naturally “conservative,” this could be their “single issue.” And it would be a tectonic shift.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Come on man, this goes beyond what one woman thinks. For an American politician to lose votes because of support for Israel would be a monumental event.

I know, some of the wise greybeards of AW might think that voters will forget in the next 12 months. But for Arab voters, a significant constituency in an important swing state (Michigan), who are probably more naturally “conservative,” this could be their “single issue.” And it would be a tectonic shift.
OTOH, there's a huge difference between saying, "I no longer support Biden," and saying "I'm voting for Trump or fill-in-the-blank Christian conservative."

IRfly

None
OTOH, there's a huge difference between saying, "I no longer support Biden," and saying "I'm voting for Trump or fill-in-the-blank Christian conservative."
US politics 101: most people will not switch and vote for the other guy/gal/party.
90% of political messaging is about turnout. If the Arab-Americans in Michigan stay home, bad news for Biden based on the 2020 numbers.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
US politics 101: most people will not switch and vote for the other guy/gal/party.
90% of political messaging is about turnout. If the Arab-Americans in Michigan stay home, bad news for Biden based on the 2020 numbers.
(Engineering nerd). Thanks for the education, seriously.

Random8145

Yeah, I guess the larger point is that Israel has killed far more civilians in this war than Hamas. How would you react if Russia bombed the shit out of residential areas in densely populated cities and killed a bunch of children, only to repeat the act the next day? I think we know the answer to that... We accused them of war crimes.
Russia was/is the aggressor though. And fighting a war doesn't mean directly proportional numbers. Given the sheer brutality of Hamas, Israel probably views it that there is a higher tolerance for acceptable casualties in order to destroy Hamas. Some are saying Israel is just indiscriminately bombing Gaza, but Israel's targeting process is secret right now and they say the targets are carefully selected, so I don't think anyone can say for sure what really is going on.
Aside from all that, though, I think this is about the worst thing Israel could do to ensure support for their cause continues. I don't want my tax dollars going towards murdering kids in Gaza, and I doubt I'm alone.
If they are killing high-value Hamas personnel, with a cost of killing kids in the process, that isn't explicitly murdering said kids. As for support for their cause, I think that's a lost cause (pardon the pun) already, as the U.N. failed to even condemn Hamas. Hamas could end this by surrendering with all their leadership coming forward. But instead everyone is putting the onus on Israel.

Mirage

pilot
Russia was/is the aggressor though. And fighting a war doesn't mean directly proportional numbers. Given the sheer brutality of Hamas, Israel probably views it that there is a higher tolerance for acceptable casualties in order to destroy Hamas. Some are saying Israel is just indiscriminately bombing Gaza, but Israel's targeting process is secret right now and they say the targets are carefully selected, so I don't think anyone can say for sure what really is going on.

If they are killing high-value Hamas personnel, with a cost of killing kids in the process, that isn't explicitly murdering said kids. As for support for their cause, I think that's a lost cause (pardon the pun) already, as the U.N. failed to even condemn Hamas. Hamas could end this by surrendering with all their leadership coming forward. But instead everyone is putting the onus on Israel.
Jesus. Once again, nothing you've said here makes a bit of sense. Complete waste of time.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Jesus. Once again, nothing you've said here makes a bit of sense. Complete waste of time.
No, actually it does. If you don't like civilian casualties in Gaza, you need to blame Hamas for using them as human shields and not letting them evacuate. Don't blame Israel. Their only course of action to prevent similar massacres in the future is to destroy Hamas. If you have a better idea for how to exterminate Hamas with fewer casualties, I'm all ears.

Mirage

pilot
No, actually it does. If you don't like civilian casualties in Gaza, you need to blame Hamas for using them as human shields and not letting them evacuate. Don't blame Israel. Their only course of action to prevent similar massacres in the future is to destroy Hamas.
Not letting them evacuate? Do you have any idea what's going on? Egypt and Israel aren't letting them evacuate.. not to mention things that regularly don't allow people mobility like old age, injuries, etc.

If Hamas fighters are intermixed with civilians getting care at a hospital, you can't just drop a bomb at the hospital entrance, kill a few Hamas fighters and dozens of bystanders and say it's justified.. it's not. It's not proportional, and flies in the face of the LOAC.

If you have a better idea for how to exterminate Hamas with fewer casualties, I'm all ears.
Israel cannot "exterminate Hamas" using bombs. It will take a ground assault, which is why that's exactly what they are doing. If done properly, a ground assault can clear an area of Hamas without blowing up every kid in the vicinity as well.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Not letting them evacuate? Do you have any idea what's going on? Egypt and Israel aren't letting them evacuate.. not to mention things that regularly don't allow people mobility like old age, injuries, etc.

If Hamas fighters are intermixed with civilians getting care at a hospital, you can't just drop a bomb at the hospital entrance, kill a few Hamas fighters and dozens of bystanders and say it's justified.. it's not. It's not proportional, and flies in the face of the LOAC.

Israel cannot "exterminate Hamas" using bombs. It will take a ground assault, which is why that's exactly what they are doing. If done properly, a ground assault can clear an area of Hamas without blowing up every kid in the vicinity as well.
You're fucking delusional. Israel isn't letting the civilians evacuate???? They gave the civilians advanced warning to vacate northern Gaza and even created a safe path for them. If civilians aren't being allowed to leave, it's because of Hamas, not Israel. If they leave, Hamas loses their human shields and propaganda material. Not to mention, roughly 800,000 Palestinians have left Northern Gaza since Israel gave the evacuation order and only about 300,000 remain. So if Israel isn't letting them leave, Israel is doing a pretty crappy job. So the remaining 300,000 probably either aren't being allowed to leave by Hamas or are staying willfully out of their support for Hamas.

Hamas intermixed with civilians in a hospital? Intermixed? Their fucking headquarters are in tunnels underneath the hospital, strategically for that reason. There are 300 miles of tunnels that these terrorist use in this small 25 mile strip called Gaza. The bombing isn't just about targeting terrorist operatives, it's about destroying the infrastructure they use.

I'm going to go one step further here. How many of these innocent Palestinians in Gaza do you think condemned the slaughter of 1,400 innocent Israeli citizens? How many of them were disgusted by it? Look at these protests all over our country. Whether these protesters are actual Palestinians or of some other Arab origin and just supporting Palestine and Hamas, the message is clear. They support the destruction of Israel. They support the actions of Hamas. They want death to Israel and they want death to America. Palestinians in Gaza choose to live among terrorists. Common sense tells me that you support terrorists if you choose to live under their rule. Casualty is a part of war. Hamas started this war and now that they're in it, Hamas is maximizing the casualties.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
There is no such thing as a purely “military” war where soldiers and sailors only fight soldiers and sailors. There always have been and always will be civilian casualties. Should aggrieved sides do all they can to reduce those casualties…yes…should they surrender their goals to reduce them…absolutely not. To argue that one side is (or has) killed “number x” is just pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.