• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

War in Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirage

pilot
Will this stay contained to Israel/Gaza Strip, or will Israel go to war with Iran? Will we get pulled into that? Should we get involved in that? Has our leaders inability to create budget surpluses in peace time left us unable to spend what is necessary to continue defending our interests abroad?

Anyone got a crystal ball?

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The government can’t both spend and have a budget surplus. These are mutually exclusive things.

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
I can't imagine Israel is frothing at the mouth to open a second front and potentially turn this into a regional conflict. Despite reports that a handful of Americans were killed in the initial attacks, I don't see any need for us to get involved kinetically. I think it's everyone's interest that we dissuade other parties from hoping on the bandwagon, mainly other arab states. Tis my .02, but I am just monke

Mirage

pilot
The government can’t both spend and have a budget surplus. These are mutually exclusive things.
If we bring in $x, and spend less than x but more than $0, we have both spent money and had a budget surplus. Money 101.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Impossible to say where this mess will go without knowing why Iran endorsed this attack in the first place. And no mistake, Hamas would not have moved (and Hezbollah jumped in immediately, so they also knew this was coming) without Tehran at least giving it a thumbs up, if not actively helping plan and execute it.

Most plausible theory I've heard was this was Iran's attempt to drop a turd in the punchbowl of the impending Israeli-Saudi peace deal. KSA was the last big regional Sunni power that wasn't shaking hands with Israel. If the Saudis no longer feel the need to at least act like they're opposing Israel, Iran gets their full attention. Strictly geopolitically speaking, it's not the dumbest strategy for the Iranians, if also incredibly risky. Everything about Hamas' strategy seems designed to generate maximum outrage among the Israeli public. Netanyahu will have a domestic political mandate to go in hard to Gaza and probably also southern Lebanon. Even if he didn't want to (and Bibi isn't exactly a bleeding-heart), the demands from the public will be deafening. So Iran provokes Israeli attacks on Arabs, which historically has been the best way to spike any peace deals; Arab countries don't want to be seen assisting Israeli wars on Arabs, even if it's a non-Arab state that benefits.

The risk to Iran is, they could not have been any more obvious this was a made-in-Tehran production if they'd tried. That pressure on Netanyahu to crack some heads isn't going to end once the immediate situation is under control. I would be shocked if they don't hit Iran directly, or at the very least IRGC facilities outside Iran proper. Question then becomes what happens next. The Iraqis are busy enough with their own mess, Assad doesn't have the bandwidth to get involved with another war, the Jordanians and Egyptians will want no part of fighting on the Shia side. Do the Saudis stand aside? Is the Iranian civil government and regular military cheerleading the IRGC on this?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Terrorists are gonna terrorize, and Iran's gonna Iran. At minimum, we need to stop dealing with them. Negotiating with terrorists (Iran) will only lead to the same outcome, over and over again. I would imagine it's embarrassing for the Biden administration (if politicians can actually feel embarrassment) to see this attack happen only a few weeks after $6B of Iranian assets were unfrozen in an attempt to bargain with that regime. Wonder how much of those assets ended up funding Hamas? Not to mention Iranian support of Hezbollah, Houthis, Al Shabaab, ISIS, etc.

Iran needs this win at home, and you'd be a fool not to think the "morality police" are taking advantage of the smokescreen domestically.

I'd advocate a return to the strongest sanctions for Iran- indefinitely- not that it'll stop them from stirring up stupid shit in the region. Meanwhile, go scorched Earth on Hamas and Hezbollah.

Last edited:

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Iran (and Russia to some extent) signed off or at least didn't oppose it.
Maybe this expands conflict in the Middle East after a war weary US withdraws somewhat from the area only to get dragged back in?
Perhaps it also draws resources from the western support of Ukraine and maybe even takes our eye off of Taiwan.

Not coincidentally, the US presidential election primaries...
I'm sure Zeihan already put out a video saying this was always going to happen....

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
One thing I think is interesting is how many Hamas fighters who killed civilians and took hostages did so on social media- in HD, showing their faces. Those assholes signed their own death warrants. There is no way Israel is going to let anyone around the world think that they can capture Jews in Israel and not die. It may take them 50 years, but they will follow through. They're still hunting Nazis 80 years later.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
One thing I think is interesting is how many Hamas fighters who killed civilians and took hostages did so on social media- in HD, showing their faces. Those assholes signed their own death warrants. There is no way Israel is going to let anyone around the world think that they can capture Jews in Israel and not die. It may take them 50 years, but they will follow through. They're still hunting Nazis 80 years later.

The way Hamas is playing this is they seem to think they can "win". What their demands are, and what a strategic win looks like for them remains unclear, at least from what I'm able to glean from open-source information.

Terrorist organizations are also often populated with people who have a.) very little to lose, and 2.) enjoy the thought of fighting, or "revenge", or whatever- similar to some "doomsday preppers" who appear to relish the idea of shooting their neighbors without consequences.

So there's likely a strong emotional component that might minimize how much they thought this through. Someone (Iran) hands you the resources for a surprise attack against your most hated enemy, you might do it without considering all the implications.

I hope Israel wipes the floor with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.