• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

War in Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Except the helo bubbas
The army helo guys do OK. Here is the list of awards earned (with participation medals removed) by the 2P who recently died in the 160th ARF exercise; Distinguished Flying Cross with Valor device, the Air Medal with Combat device, the Army Commendation Medal, the Army Achievement Medal, and the Combat Action Badge.

robav8r

None
Contributor
The army helo guys do OK. Here is the list of awards earned (with participation medals removed) by the 2P who recently died in the 160th ARF exercise; Distinguished Flying Cross with Valor device, the Air Medal with Combat device, the Army Commendation Medal, the Army Achievement Medal, and the Combat Action Badge.
"Helo Bubbas" ≠ 160th . . .

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Except the helo bubbas
There is a dearth of flying combat and valor awards for Navy helicopter pilots - going back generations. I've always believed its a marker that says something - especially to other services. A conversation for another thread.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Plenty of notable awards during Vietnam/SEA - I was more referring to post Vietnam/SEA.
Gotcha, you said generations, so it seemed like that would encompass that time frame.

Have there been actions worthy of awards since then that have been overlooked because the folks involved were helo pilots? I’ve always just thought it was a lack of opportunity/change in mission sets/mission focus, not a deliberate effort to deprive deserving aircrew.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have there been actions worthy of awards since then that have been overlooked because the folks involved were helo pilots? I’ve always just thought it was a lack of opportunity/change in mission sets, not a deliberate effort to deprive deserving aircrew.

With a few exceptions, seems to have been the case with Navy helos since the end of Vietnam.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
With a few exceptions, seems to have been the case with Navy helos since the end of Vietnam.
TBH, the Air Medal is just a formulaic calculation (reported and calculated somewhat differently among different commands) of hours and sorties in a designated combat zone. Individual mission Air Medals are subject to the whims of the chain of command, like any other valor award.

With that being said, in the Marine Corps, if you saw a 04-05 guy/gal with wings in a dress uniform without an Air Medal, it would make you ask questions. Similar to if they had no stars on their Sea Service Deployment ribbon. (I'm talking about the OIF/OEF timeframe)

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
This thread could get contentious. Please no directives to 'stand your butt up'. Seriously...and don't call me Shirley.

I think I conflated a few threads. Oh well...

View attachment 39255
The way threads drift on AW, I’m surprised we don’t get them confused more often. I can’t count the number of times I click on a thread title, only to realize “oh yeah, this is THAT thread…”, roll my eyes, and hit the “back” button.

Maybe it’s just me.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
The way threads drift on AW, I’m surprised we don’t get them confused more often. I can’t count the number of times I click on a thread title, only to realize “oh yeah, this is THAT thread…”, roll my eyes, and hit the “back” button.

Maybe it’s just me.
The other thing I often miss the forest for the trees, is when there's a thread title I have zero interest in, keeps popping up in What's New, and then you finally click on it, and realize there's been some epic threadjack that is entertaining or informative.

I still won't click on IWC/Sub/ICC 23 Board threads (I'm making those acronyms up...I think ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.