• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want to know why I was not accpeted!

aviator6369

My recruiter just emailed me and told me I was not selected for pilot, nav, or intel officer but did not give a reason. When I asked they said the board does not give the reason and keeps it secret.

Is this really true? Why can't I get an official reason on paper? A we regret to inform you letter explaining why would be sufficient but they keep saying its a secret. I really though I had a chance when I compared by application to others on this site, and really would like to know why I was not selected.
Any input would really help me out with this dream crusher.

DairyCreamer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the "not telling you" comes from liability and public perception. In the court of public opinion, if the Navy denied someone entry for a specific reason that didn't go over well with a certain segment of the public (it's obviously not going to go over well for the person who applied), it could be all over the media as a new sensational story.

Selections are very tight right now for just about any designator thanks to the Navy cutting back. As the sentiment on the boards here goes, apply early, apply often. One denial is not the end of the road, nor is 2 or 3.

Are you applying for BDCP or OCS? Are you out of school?

~Nate

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
aviator6369 said:
I really though I had a chance when I compared by application to others on this site, and really would like to know why I was not selected. Any input would really help me out with this dream crusher.

The simplest answer is NEEDS OF THE NAVY. For one reason or another your package did not match up to what the Navy needed... right now. Apply, Apply again (and again and again if neccessary). Look at this as a bump in the road and keep going.

USMCSNA

"TBS is awesome when you start training"
aviator6369 said:
My recruiter just emailed me and told me I was not selected for pilot, nav, or intel officer but did not give a reason. When I asked they said the board does not give the reason and keeps it secret.

Is this really true? Why can't I get an official reason on paper? A we regret to inform you letter explaining why would be sufficient but they keep saying its a secret. I really though I had a chance when I compared by application to others on this site, and really would like to know why I was not selected.
Any input would really help me out with this dream crusher.

I felt the same way that you did. I applied for Pilot on three different occassions and was not accepted. I had great letters of Rec (Senator, Test Pilot on F-14, two Navy Captains and congressman) and great grades and activities in college. Yet, I was not accepted and wanted to know why. My recruiter could not give me an answer, but suggested that I try the Marines, they may be more open to taking pilot types at the time. The rest is history.... I got in, got commissioned, made it through TBS and IFS and am now a Staff Platoon Commander for Leatherneck at Quantico before heading to Pensacola for API. PM me is you have any questions and good luck!

OUaviator

aviator, how were your scores on the ASTB.

I know how you feel, got the bad news today. I'm retaking the ASTB next Friday but I think I'm putting good scores at risk. I've got the gouge from this website which I used for my previous test. I'm not sure if applying late, for the last class of FY 2005 hurt me but I'm trying again. I've got a few more military guys writing recommendations for me and hoepfully that heps. If this doesn't work I'm headed to the marines. If anyone has anymore info, I'm sure we could use it. Good Luck.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of my fellow students here in DH school was an officer recruiter for his shore duty. He relayed a story to all of us a couple days ago about how stiff the competition is right now to get a commission. There very well could be no solid reason why you did not get selected. The guy with the package above yours may have something minute in it that tipped the scales; something that may seem arbitrary to you, but not the board (hence why they want to keep it to themselves).

ProwlerPilot

pilot
I say stick with it man. I know it is discouraging, but your three selections are tough right now. Not speaking from any other knowledge except what I see from friends in all three communities, they are all really tight. Pilots failing out of API, or even DOR, are being allowed out of the Navy. NFOs are scrambling from S-3's, Tomcats, and soon Prowlers. And the Intel world is just small. I know this doesn't help you feel any better, but just keep at it. I'm sure if you want it bad enough, you will get it.

BTW, I'd take NFO and Intel off my list. Pilot is the ONLY way!!! :icon_smil (just kidding, I love NFOs too!)

aviator6369

Thank you everybody. My recruiter seems a little on the slow side and I had a hard time swallowing I would not get an answer as to why I was denied from him until reading your replies. Marines here I come...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ProwlerPilot said:
BTW, I'd take NFO and Intel off my list. Pilot is the ONLY way!!! :icon_smil (just kidding, I love NFOs too!)
Like you have any choice ;)

Brett

ip568

None
Simple

The Navy never tells one why a selection board made a decision. After the board has ended and results are posted, all notes from the board are destroyed and members are not allowed to discuss what took place in discussion.

You can, however, keep beating-down their door with re-applications. Worked for me.

saltpeter

aviator6369,
Try the Air Guard and AF Reserve even though many of these squadrons are BRAC, they still want Nav's bad. Also, Navy Reserve Intel is growing, although you may have to enlist and work a packet. Good Luck and keep swingin'!

mrtorso11

So now you're applying to the Marines because you were presented with a little adversity in the application process? Man are you in for a rude awakening. OCS and TBS will OPEN YOUR EYES. THat's at least 7-8 months (route depending) of stuff that you'll get to go through. And all told the possibility exists that you could get DQ for flight in the process. Make sure you're doing it for the right reasons because the Marines to your left and right will find out (not to mentions DIs and SPCs) and they'll make sure you know it. And dont forget it doesnt get easier as time goes by.... because we all know the Marines get to do the job with whatever is at hand.

If you do decide that the Corps is where you belong good luck.

Semper Fidelis

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every post above is on target with the exception of mrotrso's. He is obviously one of those guys that believes you have to be born a Marine with green in your veins or you are just a poser. Here is something to consider, aviator, better do your homework. Things are so tight now refering to NFO as nav is just as likely to get you a rejection as the next thing. They are looking for flaws. When you write your motivational statement, or whatever they call it now, make sure you use all the correct lingo and references.

H60Gunr

Don't worry, keep applying. I applied to OCS once-not accepted. Applied for AMDO with the Reserves-not accepted, and as soon as my CO's LOR departs his office, this will be my third package (hopefully last).