• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want to fly USMC, but need waiver (loonnnggg story with OSO and MEPS)

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
BINGO said:
I'm not blaming the system, I'm blaming the people who abuse it. In my case my OSO is suppose to go to bat for me when I'm a candidate that's just doing what I can to get selected. Don't forget that I was told I'd be helped if I got the necessary paper work, which I did. If you read my (yes,lengthy) post, you'd see that I'm doing what I can.

To add to that. My original recruiter just separated from the service in April and is no longer the head of this OSO, but the problem remains because of his fill in that I've already talked to some months ago.

If I were you I'd be a little more careful about the type of bull shit I was posting on the web. You're OSO has no obligation to go to bat for you. His job isn't to help you, it's to find qualified applicants. Did you ever consider that you aren't the only guy out there who wants to be a Marine Corps Officer?

I know for a fact that your OSO and the Gunny would never tell you to lie on an application because they're great Marines and they had way more applicants in the pool than available slots anyway.

BINGO

If I were you I'd be a little more careful about the type of bull shit I was posting on the web. You're OSO has no obligation to go to bat for you. His job isn't to help you, it's to find qualified applicants. Did you ever consider that you aren't the only guy out there who wants to be a Marine Corps Officer?

I know for a fact that your OSO and the Gunny would never tell you to lie on an application because they're great Marines and they had way more applicants in the pool than available slots anyway.

Noted.

Realize the word 'qualified' is only as good as the standards you meet from the beginning. I met all of them besides the medical which if you read my yes, lengthy post, you'd see I was DQ'd because of letters from a NP. NOT a MD or DO. BUMED said themselves that it doesn't qualify for a closed case. However, I was told by my OSO to get the further needed forms/docs from Doctors and they would push for a waiver. This didn't end up being the case after I did what I was asked. They were mad because I did my homework and went above them to figure it out. I already realize what your most likely thinking. "You went above your OSO which you shouldn't have". Well, just to clear that up, I was instructed to do that by many Marine officers that outrank anyone at my local OSO. I live next to Williams Gateway where Marine aviators come in all the time. I've had the chance to sit with Pilots/NFO's from many squadrons (Sharpshooters, Green Knights, Nightmares, etc). All of them said to not stop with my situation. One of them went through a similar situation as mine and didn't see any results till he did some leg work himself. He ended up having to just find a good recruiter that didn't mind pushing a fax or two. This is what I'm going to end up doing. So far I've spoken with a few great recruiters from a handful of OSO's that are willing to help me. The issue with my local recruitment is I did was I was told not to. I fessed up and told the truth. Because I did this the Captain in charge told the new Captain to not help me because "I don't have the character of a Marine". This to me was a shocker and had me questioning if I even want be a part of something that expects me to abandon my morals to get ahead in life. I realize this isn't the case with all Marines and it's why I still want to push today. Please do not take this out of context.

Sounds like you know my OSO staff from experience. If you have had good experiences with them so far, good for you. I hope your career works out and that your dreams come true. As for me, PHX OSO wasn't in my cards.

Please realize you weren't in my shoes through out this on going 2 year process. When you are sat down in a office behind closed doors and told to practice lying so you will pass at MEPS, you will know what I'm talking about. I realize they were looking out for me to help me become a Marine, but the way they asked me to do it is against my personal standards. To another this may not be a issue, but for me, it is. I am completely aware of the multiple dreamers like myself, that desire to be Marine officers, most of whom require nothing to get checked off by the board and be sent to OCS. The current Captain had no problem telling me he's just to lazy to push my stuff for a waiver because theirs plenty other "qualified" people. When I asked what makes them "qualified", he said, this conversation is over.

My current experience with said Captain was NOT intended or planned. I was simply seeing if the OSO leadership had changed and ended up meeting said Captain face to face. To clear up any other possible confusion, I'm not sure of which Gunny's you are talking about. I have worked with FOUR from the start. Only one of them was part of the lying process. The other Gunny's have been nothing but sharp upstanding guys.

Thanks for your 2 though.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
Bingo, there's something odd about you but I can't quite put my finger on it. I think maybe you're one of those people that makes bad first impressions or tends to rub people the wrong way initially? I might be way off on that. However, I can tell for certain that you are a bit dramatic, and it may be hurting your cause.

Judging by the length of your posts, it's obvious that you're adamant about defending your reputation. There's nothing wrong with that. Just remember that we're not the ones you need to convince. The amount of time and effort that you have put into this leads most of us to believe that you are worthy of at least a chance. We can identify with your situation. Many of us with commissions had to clear similar obstacles in order to get here, which is why your dilemma has drawn so much response on this forum.

Relax. Forget the past events. There's no need to call your senator. Not to sound trite, but each day that you pursue this is a new day that you can succeed. You have to put the past events where they belong otherwise you stand a good chance of making bad first impressions everywhere you go. No OSO wants to deal with drama.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
When I turned 21 I had another downfall in my life that I didn't take well. I was with a girl for almost 3 years that cheated on me and the break up ended badly. What did I decide to do? I found a counselor to talk to and work through it with. While at the counseling center, across the hall is a nurse practitioner that prescribed me Prozac and Abilify to handle the stress.
-BINGO

I love the stories where the girl ruins someone's life/career/dreams... Don't you guys know that women are out there just to destroy your life's ambitions??? That's our one and only objective!! :p

~Red

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
C'mon MB, you know that all we really want is to be rescued from the factory... only so that we can later cheat on you while you while you're on deployment with our baby's real baby daddy...

Sad, but true -- it's in our DNA makeup!

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Bingo, there's something odd about you but I can't quite put my finger on it. I think maybe you're one of those people that makes bad first impressions or tends to rub people the wrong way initially? I might be way off on that. However, I can tell for certain that you are a bit dramatic, and it may be hurting your cause.

Well for starters, he didn't know that the new OSO had taken over in March even though he had allegedly been slaving away on his application for two years.

jtmedli

pilot
I love the stories where the girl ruins someone's life/career/dreams... Don't you guys know that women are out there just to destroy your life's ambitions??? That's our one and only objective!! :p

~Red

Finally!! Guilty as charged!!!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Noted.

Realize the word 'qualified' is only as good as the standards you meet from the beginning. I met all of them besides the medical which if you read my yes, lengthy post, you'd see I was DQ'd because of letters from a NP. NOT a MD or DO. BUMED said themselves that it doesn't qualify for a closed case. However, I was told by my OSO to get the further needed forms/docs from Doctors and they would push for a waiver. This didn't end up being the case after I did what I was asked. They were mad because I did my homework and went above them to figure it out. I already realize what your most likely thinking. "You went above your OSO which you shouldn't have". Well, just to clear that up, I was instructed to do that by many Marine officers that outrank anyone at my local OSO. I live next to Williams Gateway where Marine aviators come in all the time. I've had the chance to sit with Pilots/NFO's from many squadrons (Sharpshooters, Green Knights, Nightmares, etc). All of them said to not stop with my situation. One of them went through a similar situation as mine and didn't see any results till he did some leg work himself. He ended up having to just find a good recruiter that didn't mind pushing a fax or two. This is what I'm going to end up doing. So far I've spoken with a few great recruiters from a handful of OSO's that are willing to help me. The issue with my local recruitment is I did was I was told not to. I fessed up and told the truth. Because I did this the Captain in charge told the new Captain to not help me because "I don't have the character of a Marine". This to me was a shocker and had me questioning if I even want be a part of something that expects me to abandon my morals to get ahead in life. I realize this isn't the case with all Marines and it's why I still want to push today. Please do not take this out of context.

Sounds like you know my OSO staff from experience. If you have had good experiences with them so far, good for you. I hope your career works out and that your dreams come true. As for me, PHX OSO wasn't in my cards.

Please realize you weren't in my shoes through out this on going 2 year process. When you are sat down in a office behind closed doors and told to practice lying so you will pass at MEPS, you will know what I'm talking about. I realize they were looking out for me to help me become a Marine, but the way they asked me to do it is against my personal standards. To another this may not be a issue, but for me, it is. I am completely aware of the multiple dreamers like myself, that desire to be Marine officers, most of whom require nothing to get checked off by the board and be sent to OCS. The current Captain had no problem telling me he's just to lazy to push my stuff for a waiver because theirs plenty other "qualified" people. When I asked what makes them "qualified", he said, this conversation is over.

My current experience with said Captain was NOT intended or planned. I was simply seeing if the OSO leadership had changed and ended up meeting said Captain face to face. To clear up any other possible confusion, I'm not sure of which Gunny's you are talking about. I have worked with FOUR from the start. Only one of them was part of the lying process. The other Gunny's have been nothing but sharp upstanding guys.

Thanks for your 2 though.

Good luck with this process. I went back to re-read the PMs we have shared and I gotta admire your consitency and your drive. I hope this works out for you.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
C'mon MB, you know that all we really want is to be rescued from the factory... only so that we can later cheat on you while you while you're on deployment with our baby's real baby daddy...

Sad, but true -- it's in our DNA makeup!

Don't forget the making of 'entertainment' movies.:D

SGIRGISS1214

I think you should keep going with your application process. Don't stop because, you obviously have the drive to make it. Also, don't let this incident go, this Marine Captain, is a Commissioned Officer and represents the leeadership of the Marine Corps, he should've acted in a more tactful manner when dealing with you. I would ride this thing home if I was you. I don't think they will take his commission but I'd go far enough where Field Grade is out of the question for him.

Crowbar

None
I think you should kepp going with your application process. Don't stop because You obviously have the drive to make it. Also, don't let inicdent go, this Marine Captain, is a Commissioned Officer and represents the leeadership of the Marine Corps, he should've acted in a more tactful manner when dealing with you. I would ride this thing home if I was you> I dont think they will take his commission but I'd go far enough where Field Grade is out of the question for him.

SGIRGISS1214's profile said:
In High School. Im planning on going to Marine OCS during college.

You sure do have the world by the tail to be in high school.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I think you should keep going with your application process. Don't stop because, you obviously have the drive to make it. Also, don't let this incident go, this Marine Captain, is a Commissioned Officer and represents the leeadership of the Marine Corps, he should've acted in a more tactful manner when dealing with you. I would ride this thing home if I was you. I don't think they will take his commission but I'd go far enough where Field Grade is out of the question for him.

I'm looking forward to the day this thread dies.