• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want to fly USMC, but need waiver (loonnnggg story with OSO and MEPS)

BINGO

Questions from former AFROTC trying to get USMC Air Contract

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start out saying hello. I don't know anyone around here and hope to get some help. I have some questions that my OSO hasn't helped answer.

First off, I did a year with the AFROTC (bad idea). Air Force wasn't my thing and originally wanted Marines but the OSO around here wasn't very helpful my first time showing interest.

Anyways, I'm a sophomore and trying to apply for an air contract. Haven't taken the ASTB yet but am trying to study.

I have some questions.

1. Flight physicals. In the AF you get a pilot slot your 3rd year as a cadet and get sent off to get a FC1 at Brooks. I see a lot of people get that far and get DQ'd for stuff they had no clue about from the beginning.
*When does PLC applicants go for a flight physical?
*Will they have you do it before taking the ASTB or after?
*Will you do another flight physical after TBS before Pensicola?

2. TBS. Has anybody ever heard of someone passing OCS but failing TBS? If so, what happens to them since they've already commissioned?

3. ASTB. I have an Arco that's gotta Naval/Marines aviation section that I've been looking over. Does anybody else have any better suggestions for other study material?

4. High school diploma. I went to a private school from junior high till my senior year. Senior year the school lost (yes, lost) some of my credits and said I wouldn't graduate. The principle refused to fix the situation and so I tried to transfer to a public HS and was told my credits wouldn't be accepted. I was forced to get a GED. I passed and have done well in college since. Will this hurt me?

If you've read this whole thing, thanks for your time. If you can answer the questions above, thanks again. I really appreciate it!

-BINGO

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Regarding number 4, that sounds like something that could be explained in the comments section of your application (assuming the Marines have a section similar to the one the Navy has). Additionally, I would get a recommendation letter from somebody in your high school telling them you are a stand up guy/gal.

MettGT

pilot
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start out saying hello. I don't know anyone around here and hope to get some help. I have some questions that my OSO hasn't helped answer.

First off, I did a year with the AFROTC (bad idea). Air Force wasn't my thing and originally wanted Marines but the OSO around here wasn't very helpful my first time showing interest.

Anyways, I'm a sophomore and trying to apply for an air contract. Haven't taken the ASTB yet but am trying to study.

I have some questions.

1. Flight physicals. In the AF you get a pilot slot your 3rd year as a cadet and get sent off to get a FC1 at Brooks. I see a lot of people get that far and get DQ'd for stuff they had no clue about from the beginning.
*When does PLC applicants go for a flight physical?
*Will they have you do it before taking the ASTB or after?
*Will you do another flight physical after TBS before Pensicola?

2. TBS. Has anybody ever heard of someone passing OCS but failing TBS? If so, what happens to them since they've already commissioned?

3. ASTB. I have an Arco that's gotta Naval/Marines aviation section that I've been looking over. Does anybody else have any better suggestions for other study material?

4. High school diploma. I went to a private school from junior high till my senior year. Senior year the school lost (yes, lost) some of my credits and said I wouldn't graduate. The principle refused to fix the situation and so I tried to transfer to a public HS and was told my credits wouldn't be accepted. I was forced to get a GED. I passed and have done well in college since. Will this hurt me?

If you've read this whole thing, thanks for your time. If you can answer the questions above, thanks again. I really appreciate it!

-BINGO

1. You generally get your flight physical before you contract (ie You don't get your air contract unless you're physically qualified). I had my flight physical after I had taken the ASTB. Reason being - why spend more money on you to get a physical if you're not, qualified. It's cheaper to have someone take a test than send them to a doctor. I haven't been there yet, but I believe you'll get another physical prior to checking into API.

2. Yes, you can fail TBS. They will either recycle you to another class or admin separate you, depending on the circumstances. All in all, you have to have really screwed up to attrite out of TBS, otherwise they'll push you through again until you get it right.

3. Read the gouge in the ASTB section here.

4. Not if you explain your situation.

My $0.02. Your mileage may vary.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You have to be a world class buffoon (or criminal) to fail out of TBS. TBS is really hard to be number 1, but almost equally hard to fail out of completely. Don't stress out over that. Attrition at TBS is probably measured in the tenths of a percent. OCS......not so much. If you aren't going to hack it, OCS will find out.

Good luck.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There have been a lot of these threads lately all with similiar questions. I'm wondering if combining them into one big "stupid questions that I should use the search button for but am too lazy" thead is a good idea. Any takers?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
There have been a lot of these threads lately all with similiar questions. I'm wondering if combining them into one big "stupid questions that I should use the search button for but am too lazy" thead is a good idea. Any takers?

Or delete them, as each stupid thread clogging the system diminishes the usefullness of the search engine.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

At least his question #4 was pretty good. I hadn't seen that one before.

BENDER

pilot
Funny enough, I have had almost the exact situation. I went to a private school, had to transfer, and messed it all up. I got a GED, took 18 hours of community college, took the calculus, engineering physics,and was excepted into the engineering program. Cake... I was really worried about it at first, then my recruiter told me its not a big deal. think about it, why would your high school diploma matter when you have a 4 year degree? But I would say it's circumstantial, what were your grades like in private school, did you drop because your a bum, play sports... these are all questions I was asked. Prove yourself in college, I have about 63 hours, finals just ended and I expect a 3.2gpa (from a 2.8), my recruiter said get it above a 3.0 and I have a shot, so I am praying for the best. If you show them you have the aptitude and attitude, things will work out. Try not to sweat the GED much, I had plenty of sleep less nights b/c of it. hope this helps, good luck

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
1. You generally get your flight physical before you contract (ie You don't get your air contract unless you're physically qualified). I had my flight physical after I had taken the ASTB. Reason being - why spend more money on you to get a physical if you're not, qualified. It's cheaper to have someone take a test than send them to a doctor. I haven't been there yet, but I believe you'll get another physical prior to checking into API.

Not entirely correct. Really depends on what your applying for. PLC-C and OCC all take their flight physicals before they contract. PLC JR/SR will take their flight physicals after they complete seniors but before they commission.

Thats not to say that you wont do some additional medical work (Cyclo, anthro) in addition to your MEPs medical, but none of this is done with a bonafide flight surgeon.

Im not sure how much I agree with this method considering that Im hearing of a lot of Candidates getting their commisioning dates pushed back lately because their flight physical clearance hasnt gone through in time.

MettGT

pilot
Not entirely correct. Really depends on what your applying for. PLC-C and OCC all take their flight physicals before they contract. PLC JR/SR will take their flight physicals after they complete seniors but before they commission.

I stand corrected.