• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want to fly USMC, but need waiver (loonnnggg story with OSO and MEPS)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
BINGO said:
Thanks. You're right, the Marines had no problem telling me they were just to lazy to fight for my waiver when their was other guys who didn't need one.
Interesting enough, these were guys who weren't even eligible for a passing PFT or a defined major with a grad date.

I don't think quality is the issue, but more so quantity.

If something happens in a platoon and I am the leader when the crap hits the fan, I will handle the situation to the best of my ability. OCS/TBS weeds people out who shouldn't be leaders in the Corps. If something were to happen, it would happen there.

In the time I was in ROTC, their wasn't anything that was to much to handle. Mind you I had shingles and valley fever (look that one up) which almost killed me. I was told by the hospital to drop out of school and ROTC all together and I still stayed, did PT 3 days a week in cold weather all while denying breathing treatments to make it through because I wouldn't let anything stop me.

How many applicants do you know that have gone through these kinds of struggles and overcame them to still want to be a Marine?

The only way to really know for sure is to apply. Find an OSO that is willing to push your waivers and see what happens. The worst they can say is no. But eventually you have to accept no for an answer. You can have all the drive/will/determination/bullheaded stupidity in the world, but it may not help you in this situation.

Again, Good Luck.

jtmedli

pilot
BINGO, I'm sorry things worked out this way for you man. Medical history is a beotch. You messed up going around the OSO like you did. One thing you need to understand is that there is always a chain of command in place and you DO NOT violate it. Take it as a lesson learned and move on to other opportunities as the Officers here have said. There's not much you can do in this situation and it appears that your chances of being a Naval Aviator in the Marine Corps went from slim to none. There is nothing wrong with flying for the USAF or Army. Not sure how the Navy thing will work out, but pursue it and don't give up.

BINGO

BINGO, I'm sorry things worked out this way for you man. Medical history is a beotch. You messed up going around the OSO like you did. One thing you need to understand is that there is always a chain of command in place and you DO NOT violate it. Take it as a lesson learned and move on to other opportunities as the Officers here have said. There's not much you can do in this situation and it appears that your chances of being a Naval Aviator in the Marine Corps went from slim to none. There is nothing wrong with flying for the USAF or Army. Not sure how the Navy thing will work out, but pursue it and don't give up.

While in AFROTC we used nothing BUT the chain of command. At the local Marines OSO here there was only one officer at the time. I contacted a guy I know thats a IP for the sharpshooters (a Major) and he said the same thing, but that in this case I needed to go around him to find a solution, otherwise nothing would get done.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and words of encouragement. If things work out with the Navy I should be taking my PFT and ASTB in the next couple months.

BINGO

pwdbyhrses

Why are you still on here arguing integrity blah blah blah and not getting paperwork together and/or calling another OSO office?

You want to be a Marine so bad, get your chit together and get going with it. If you are going to give up and go to another branch, your "I want to be a Marine so bad" sentence went out the window. You were determined enough to get BUMED to reconsider your waiver, why aren't you determined enough to find another OSO to take your case?

FWIW I had more than enough red tape, too. I had thought about quitting, and bitching and whining about it but I didn't. I sucked it up, did what I had to do, and got what I needed because all I have ever wanted was to be a Marine. It's truly worth everything I went through to know that's going to happen come hell or high water for me. My Dad (USMC ret. O5) found his bars for me when I commission. He will swear me in closer to when I ship.

Red tape delayed me one class because of the time frame, but by God I'm going to OCC 202 in October.

You fight for what you want, and keep fighting. Don't give up, don't stop now. If you do - the Marines didn't want you anyhow and I don't want someone who is going to quit over a PITA load of paperwork flying with me. If you want it bad enough, you WILL find someone that will help you and you WILL be in the front seat of a plane when that time comes.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
With all the neg rep flying around, feel free to throw some + rep at me just for keeping my mouth shut. I feel we need some kind of balance. :D

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
With all the neg rep flying around, feel free to throw some + rep at me just for keeping my mouth shut. I feel we need some kind of balance. :D

Neg rep for being a Gator. Automatic below in headwork/SA.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I'm 13 and even I read it.

Because 13-year-olds have trouble reading big long chapter books these days?

9781595770004.jpg
A12875A-md.jpg

I won't address your tagline, not my place...

BINGO

Why are you still on here arguing integrity blah blah blah and not getting paperwork together and/or calling another OSO office?

You want to be a Marine so bad, get your chit together and get going with it. If you are going to give up and go to another branch, your "I want to be a Marine so bad" sentence went out the window. You were determined enough to get BUMED to reconsider your waiver, why aren't you determined enough to find another OSO to take your case?

FWIW I had more than enough red tape, too. I had thought about quitting, and bitching and whining about it but I didn't. I sucked it up, did what I had to do, and got what I needed because all I have ever wanted was to be a Marine. It's truly worth everything I went through to know that's going to happen come hell or high water for me. My Dad (USMC ret. O5) found his bars for me when I commission. He will swear me in closer to when I ship.

Red tape delayed me one class because of the time frame, but by God I'm going to OCC 202 in October.

You fight for what you want, and keep fighting. Don't give up, don't stop now. If you do - the Marines didn't want you anyhow and I don't want someone who is going to quit over a PITA load of paperwork flying with me. If you want it bad enough, you WILL find someone that will help you and you WILL be in the front seat of a plane when that time comes.

Thanks for the response. No offense, but I've already said that I've contacted numerous OSO's (San Diego, Michigan, and a few others...)

You can't apply for PLC if you are out of state. AZ has one OSO in PHX which means I have to apply OCC my senior year through another OSO other than PHX. I still have time (junior right now). As far as my medical paper work goes, I have all the letters I need put together from numerous doctors to back my case.

Thanks for sharing your story, I hope it works out for you.

spinspilot

Bingo,

It sounds like you still have a shot here. Maybe I missed it but what's the current situation with your OSO? Did he say he was going to send the docs or screw off? Ethier way, im sure you wont have a problem getting them to the right person eventually, hell you came this far.
I have to say though, I dont think I would have admitted anything to MEPS and would have followed the OSO's orders if it were me. However, after looking over your actions I have to give you a lot of credit for doing what you felt was honest. Sort of made me feel like a shit bag. Dont worry about the criticism, although many on this board would not have taken your course of action, it was honorable. I hope things work out for you, good luck.

pwdbyhrses

Thanks for the response. No offense, but I've already said that I've contacted numerous OSO's (San Diego, Michigan, and a few others...)

You can't apply for PLC if you are out of state. AZ has one OSO in PHX which means I have to apply OCC my senior year through another OSO other than PHX. I still have time (junior right now). As far as my medical paper work goes, I have all the letters I need put together from numerous doctors to back my case.

Thanks for sharing your story, I hope it works out for you.

WHO CARES? You want to be a Marine, you go OCC instead of PLC.

Don't give up dammit. I can't make you fight for what you want. I can only give you this advice: You will regret it every.damn.day. for the rest of your life if the Marines are what you truly wanted (that goes for anyone - Navy, Army etc.) and you settle for another branch.

I HATED my life as a paper pusher. I gave up the Marines three years ago for various reasons, but NONE that were because I wanted to. It was all for someone else, something else etc. I regretted that decision EVERY DAY, and didn't care about my jobs enough to stay. I bounced around chasing what I thought was what I wanted. My life SUCKED. In a year, I had three jobs. I've stayed at this one over a year now, but still hate/hated it. I settled for less, and I wasn't happy. You will have the same fate if you settle.

The greatest day of my professional career was signing my air contract.

You want to be a Marine, don't stop fighting now. "Illegitimati non carborundum."

If you really didn't care what branch you went in to, I'll end with this post, and good luck in the Navy.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
Bingo,

Keep pushing. Remember that an OSO will screen applicants, which is part of the reason why it's an officer billet. He won't want to do the leg work for you if you don't appear to fit the mold, and it's unlikely that he'll be under any outside pressure to help your particular case. You've had a lot of drama in your life compared to most applicants.

If you call the OSO and he won't give you the time of day on the phone, then just show up to the office when he's available. Look sharp with the proper haircut and attire, and have your paperwork squared away when you walk in the door. Never give up with just a phone call.

You can stop addressing the integrity argument, you've done your part on that already, and those of us who believe you did the wrong thing should keep those thoughts private. There are a lot of impressionable young folks lurking here like the 13 year old that can read better than Pepe.

After he briefed you on what to say, you pussed out at MEPS and told them what he told you not to say. If MEPS stresses you out that much find another line of work...I don't want to fly with you.

Luckily for you, Bingo is going to be a Marine, so you won't ever have to worry about sharing a cockpit with his accurate moral compass.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I'm 13 and even I read it.

LMAO, That's awesome. I just got called out by a 13 year old!

Ok, Ok I finally read it. Let me start by saying that I agree with ya Bingo, as far as the integrity thing goes, you did the right thing. Part of integrity is responsibility. Your OSO explained to you what was going to happen if you told the docs the truth. You said that you understood that, and now you're complaining about the way things worked out. You wanna be a Marine pilot, got it. So make it happen and quit complaining, you're the one that made the final decision. Spitfire said it right, you're going to have to do more than just call. In fact, I think it's illegal for an OSO to deny your application/waiver process. They can suggest you don't continue and they can refuse to provide assistance, but they can't stop you from submitting the paperwork.

BINGO said:
In the time I was in ROTC, their wasn't anything that was to much to handle. Mind you I had shingles and valley fever (look that one up) which almost killed me. I was told by the hospital to drop out of school and ROTC all together and I still stayed, did PT 3 days a week in cold weather all while denying breathing treatments to make it through because I wouldn't let anything stop me.

How many applicants do you know that have gone through these kinds of struggles and overcame them to still want to be a Marine?

And just a side note, you seem to be beating your chest in a lot of your posts. I would caution you against these types of post. You don't know anyone here and you don't know what they went through to get to where they are. Stay humble and don't alienate people.

BINGO

UPDATE:

I've recently gathered more letters from Doctors to back my case. With my circumstances with the local OSO, would you guys recommend I go through another OSO recruiter my senior year and explain my case?

Thanks,

BINGO

Markg

UPDATE:

I've recently gathered more letters from Doctors to back my case. With my circumstances with the local OSO, would you guys recommend I go through another OSO recruiter my senior year and explain my case?

Thanks,

BINGO

Thats your decision and yours alone. However, IMHO, you should give it another shot with the local OSO. Good luck to you man, hope it works out.