• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want to add weight training to armstrongs routine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future Prodigy

I made another thread and it was whack.... so forget that one!

I wanna add weight training into the mix. I really want to keep my size and mass but raise my pull up number, im not trying to get into the army or anythign its just strictly for pull up strength. So i don't want to jeopardize my whole weight training regiment for this goal but would be willing to tone it down a couple weeks in order to raise my pull up #.

I was hoping you guys could help me devise a plan on how to incorporate my weight training into Armstrongs pull up routine. I want to get some shoulders,chest, and back into the mix.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
If you aren't planning on going into the service why do you care about how many pull ups you can do? If you don't mind my askin, anyway..........

Aviator4000

Future Prodigy said:
I made another thread and it was whack.... so forget that one!

I wanna add weight training into the mix. I really want to keep my size and mass but raise my pull up number, im not trying to get into the army or anythign its just strictly for pull up strength. So i don't want to jeopardize my whole weight training regiment for this goal but would be willing to tone it down a couple weeks in order to raise my pull up #.

I was hoping you guys could help me devise a plan on how to incorporate my weight training into Armstrongs pull up routine. I want to get some shoulders,chest, and back into the mix.

Even more importantly why the hell would you bring up the army on a Marine Corps forum? Besides what the f^ck do pull ups have to do with the army?

To answer your question do pull ups. It's that simple. When I work my back I do a few different routines but the differences are just the order I do the exercises. There are only a few core exersices I do: regular pull ups, chin ups (which is the way that I recomend testing), take the low row attachment put it on the pull up bar and do pull ups on that, and I also do dumbbell rows. That is all I do for my back (well I do deadlifts too but this is more for overall strength), nothing more. I do not do the gay lat pulldown machine or the girlie assisted pull up machine. I also like to add weight in the beginning of my workout, and if at all possible have a workout partner give me a spot for m final rep (if I need it).

Future Prodigy

because i wanna get my core body strength up. And i was a avid weight lifter before but my size and mass hindered my pullup strength, which is an essential strength! I don't see a problem in asking this kidn of question, who gives a flying **** if im not going to join, who ebtter to ask then people who would know! And i don't plan on joining the service fulltime is what i meant. I am hopefully joining the army reserves next year pending on if i am switching universities or not (menaing if they have a unit where i will be at school).

I plan on following the armstrong pull up program mon-fri and was wondering where and how can i throw in some weight exercies (i.e i was thinking of something like doing 2 more back exercises with some triceps on tuesday and then on fri doing chest and tri work) I was going to leave out shoulders and legs as that might be too much .

p.s I used to do a 4 day split but would think that might be a little overdoing it?

Crowbar

None
Just do what works best for you. Some people think the Armstrong program is the be all end all answer to pull ups. Other people find it gives them elbow/shoulder problems. I used to do it over a summer when I was hurt, then switched to a serious lifting program. I would do a stout back workout every third week (10 sets of 4, 4 sets of super set exercises) and in between (the other two weeks) I would do the Armstrong throughout the week. Somehow I never got about 17 pullups but I could do ~10 pullups with 25 extra pounds and ~6 with 50 extra pounds. Just experiment and find what works.

For core strength, try doing them with your hands facing opposite directions. That way your core has to fight the natural rotation caused by the weird grip. Just a thought....

Future Prodigy

what was your back workout liek, did it incorporate deadlifts, rows, etc?

Also did you do shoulder, chest, arms, and legs during the 2 weeks you were doing the armstrong portion or only during that 3rd week? If not then how did you fit them in day wise and did it work for you.

Aviator4000

Future Prodigy said:
because i wanna get my core body strength up. And i was a avid weight lifter before but my size and mass hindered my pullup strength, which is an essential strength! I don't see a problem in asking this kidn of question, who gives a flying **** if im not going to join, who ebtter to ask then people who would know! And i don't plan on joining the service fulltime is what i meant. I am hopefully joining the army reserves next year pending on if i am switching universities or not (menaing if they have a unit where i will be at school).

I plan on following the armstrong pull up program mon-fri and was wondering where and how can i throw in some weight exercies (i.e i was thinking of something like doing 2 more back exercises with some triceps on tuesday and then on fri doing chest and tri work) I was going to leave out shoulders and legs as that might be too much .

p.s I used to do a 4 day split but would think that might be a little overdoing it?

If you do pull ups 5 days in a row I can garantee you that you will lose strength rather than gain it. Maximum number of times you want to do pull ups in a week is 3, but I wouldn't even go that far 2 times is more than sufficient (as long as you hit them hard), I prefer to nuke mine once a week. As far as deadlifts goes this will not make your pull ups go up per se, but it does increase overall body strength. I swear by the deadlift when it comes to increasing a bench press or a squat so I can see it working for pull ups too (I just never took notice).

Hit your pull ups from different angles, palms facing you then pacing facing away from you. A closer grip, then a wider grip. See if you can get a spotter. Do them till you drop, and practice them all the way up and all the way down (many people love to cheat, but they cheat themselves in the long run).

BTW I do not believe that you are not interested in joining the service. You just don't find this forum out of the blue. So if you are going USMC good luck and find out which way is easiest for you to do pull ups with. I found mine are to do them with my palms facing me and my grip relatively close, but you may be different then me. Good luck!

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Aviator, are you saying the armstrong program is counterproductive b/c it incorporates pullups 5 days in a row. I have had great success with it as have many other candidates.

Crowbar

None
No kidding. Doing pullups 5 days/week you will obviously see declines in performance. It doesn't mean you're getting weaker, it means your muscles are tired. Most people who do the program for a few weeks consistently drop pullups but after taking a few days off see a marked improvement.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Should I continue to do the Armstrong program if I am already at 18-20 pullups or is it going to hurt me more than help?

Aviator4000

Crowbar said:
No kidding. Doing pullups 5 days/week you will obviously see declines in performance. It doesn't mean you're getting weaker, it means your muscles are tired. Most people who do the program for a few weeks consistently drop pullups but after taking a few days off see a marked improvement.

Actually you are getting weaker. The muscle glycogen (stored energy) in your muscles has not had time to fully return to your muscles. Your muscles have also not had time to fully repair the microscopic tears you have made in them from training the muscle if you are working out everyday. When you are doing pull ups back to back days then YOU ARE BURNING MUSCLE FOR ENERGY while you are doing your pull ups. If you used regression to figure out if muscle size was responsible for muscle strength you would find that it is not 100% responsible, but there is correlation. I would personally not do pull ups 5 days in a row unless you are forced to. This is just plain dumb. Do them twice a week but do them HARD twice a week and in no time you will be able to do pull ups like you have been a gymnist your whole life!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Future Prodigy said:
And i don't plan on joining the service fulltime is what i meant. I am hopefully joining the army reserves next year pending on if i am switching universities or not (menaing if they have a unit where i will be at school).

yeah I heard those guys only do 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks every summer. :icon_wink

Crowbar

None
Aviator4000 said:
I would personally not do pull ups 5 days in a row unless you are forced to. This is just plain dumb. Do them twice a week but do them HARD twice a week and in no time you will be able to do pull ups like you have been a gymnist your whole life!

Because what works for you obviously works for everyone else in the world. Now I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.