• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Walther P22?

ELCID05

I am interested in buying a Walther P22 to take to the range so that I can have a relatively inexpensive day of shooting while still improving my skills with a pistol. Does anyone have any experience with this weapon or any suggestions about another possibility? I looked at the SIG mosquito but I was told it was prone to jamming and was horribly inaccurate. Any insight and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I am interested in buying a Walther P22 to take to the range so that I can have a relatively inexpensive day of shooting while still improving my skills with a pistol. Does anyone have any experience with this weapon or any suggestions about another possibility? I looked at the SIG mosquito but I was told it was prone to jamming and was horribly inaccurate. Any insight and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Never shot the P22 ... handled it and was/maybe still am considering the purchase of one. The main reason I want one is to plink .... "silently", if you know what I mean (;)) and I think you do .... but I'll tell you, the P22 is SO SMALL .. it's more like a pocket pistol instead of a low cost alternative to a larger, medium or full size duty pistol. I also heard the early models were very particular on ammo types (in .22 LR??? Good grief. ) but the function/feed problems have supposedly been resolved ... :confused::)

My pinkie hangs off the butt end of the P22 ... that's O.K. for a pocket pistol ... but not for a "skill builder" at the range, in my opinion. By comparison, my High Standard HD-Military has a full size, near 1911 size grip, as does the Ruger Mk I/II.

P22 = a nice little, and I do mean little, pistol ... but the jury is still out for me.

Lawman

None
If you want a good .22 get a good .22 and buy any of the Rugar series. I jumped the gun and bought a cheap .22 S&W because I just wanted to have one now and I later sold the thing and now own a MkIII.

Now if you wanted to do what A4's is thinking about instead of use it just as a cheap trainer then by all means go for the Walther. But other then that I think you'd be happy with the Ruger and there are a lot more goodies out to customize it to your liking.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
The P22 is much easier to silence than the Rugers. You can buy them with a threaded barrel from the factory. They cycle well, which is sometimes an issue with MKII's. Although you can get an integrated suppressor on the MKII, they are much easier to do on the Buckmark. I've shot all of them and they are all great guns. It all comes down to personal preference, and what you want to do with it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a P22. I love it. True, it doesn't seem to like Winchester Xpert .22. It is small and very well made (Walther!!). It is plenty accurate given the short barrel. I bought it for the wife and kids but the combat features and operation make it great for inexpesive training. I looked at the Sig specificly for the similarity to my P228, but balked at the price. I also liked the smaller size of the Walther for the kids. I would recommend the P22.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The P22 is much easier to silence than the Rugers. You can buy them with a threaded barrel from the factory. ....
Correct me if I'm wrong ... but the P22 can be made to go "ziplip" with the simple expedient of a threaded barrel nut .... ??? Instead of a dedicated bbl???

Simplicity. I like that. That's a big plus when walking about ... "silently". :)

Walthers are good pistols. My P99 .40/.357 is outstanding in fit and function. Wink's right -- the P22's a great little pistol ... it's just LITTLE .... I'm still thinkin' ....

lcdfly

I got a Walther P22 this summer with the 5 inch barrel and compensator already on it. I have shot several .22 pistols, and this one by far is the most fun. It is accurate enough, and a lot of fun to just mess around with. The compensator really helps the accuracy and the recoil if you try shooting it fast. I definitely would recommend it if you are looking to buy a .22 pistol. That gun is a lot of fun.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
The P-22 comes with a threaded barrel standard. It has a nut that fixes on the end, it holds on a protective covering around the barrel.

And there is no compensator for hte P-22. That's just an add-on for the longer barrel. I have the P-22 with both the short and long barrel.

I love my little P-22. You can get magazines that have a little lip extension on them that help, but only a little. I have huge hands and it didn't bother me much. I have put probably 30k rounds through it in 2 years. It is thoroughly worn out. And now that I've built my skills, I'm not sure it is worth sending it back to the factory to get major work done/purchase a new one.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
HarveyBirdman said:
Does anyone know what pistol Lt.Kennedy had during the Pt.109 incident? Was that a .38?
Smith & Wesson .38 M&P Model 10 "Victory" is what he had ... according to the "official" history.

I also remember reading the book "PT-109" when I was a kid ... wherein it described Kennedy firing "3 shots" while trying to signal and when he had only "3 shots left in his revolver" during the final rescue ... he had to borrow someone's rifle for the final 4th shot -- a prearranged signal for the PT group to rendezvous.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
The P-22 comes with a threaded barrel standard. It has a nut that fixes on the end, it holds on a protective covering around the barrel.

And there is no compensator for hte P-22. That's just an add-on for the longer barrel. I have the P-22 with both the short and long barrel.

Thats what I meant. They come with a threaded barrel, which means all you gotta do to quiet them down is screw on a silencer. Thats more important than you think, because it is generally around $100 to get a barrel threaded. Before buying a suppressor make sure that the threads are in the same direction. HK for example threads the barrels on the MK23 and the Tactical in opposite directions, so you cant use the same silencer for both guns. Just something to keep in mind for anyone thats thinking about shooting hush hush...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...They come with a threaded barrel, which means all you gotta do to quiet them down is .... hush hush...

I handled one again today .... I think I like ...in spite of the short grip. I noticed the threaded bbl ... no bbl nut on this one .... just a laser pointer (which I don't want) ... I suppose I could use it as a paperweight --- or buy one without. :eek:

But the local "hush-hush" guy has the proper "hush-kits" for the P-22. Just do the paperwork, pay the money, and .... "hush-hush". Funny ... Washington law is VERY clear about the legality of "them" ... even though full-auto and short barreled rifles/shotgun are a no-no .... i.e., they're legal and the procedures for obtaining them are spelled out in state law .... BUT ... some jurisdictions (even though we have a good state pre-emption law) have determined that while "they" are legal ... you can't "use" them.... ???

Think Seattle .... :)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny ... Washington law is VERY clear about the legality of "them" ... even though full-auto and short barreled rifles/shotgun are a no-no .... i.e., they're legal and the procedures for obtaining them are spelled out in state law .... BUT ... some jurisdictions (even though we have a good state pre-emption law) have determined that while "they" are legal ... you can't "use" them.... ???

If only we were more like Europe in their regard of suppressors. There, it's considered polite to use them on hunting rifles so as not to disturb the populace or damage your hearing. Here, they're only for "assassins."