• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waivers for alcohol?

Indeejordan

I made a couple bad decisions in my past and got caught a couple years ago before I was 21. When I was a 19 and freshmen in college I received a possession of alcohol under legal age in my dorm room. I paid a $147 citation. Later that year over the summer I was on vacation out of state and received a minor consumption. I took a class and it was put on my record as a non conviction. Needless to say I didn't drink again until I turned 21. I know I will have to get a waiver for my first one. I am not sure about my second one. Does anyone have any idea how this will effect my application for OCC? Thank you.

THUNDERBEAST

I got a ticket for underage possession of alcohol and then I got a ticket for taking a piss on a bush three years later. I was told that it most likely wouldn’t be a problem, but they also told me that the board may take one look at it and say no way but that was highly unlikely. Just be honest and upfront about it.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Back in the days when I joined the Navy, waivers were being sought for marijuana and "other" recreational drugs - definitely not for alcohol. Since then however, I have seen the Navy get progressively less tolerant on alcohol related incidents. One of the more popular "strategeries" used by CO's is the 0-0-0-1-3 policy. 0 drinks on duty, 0 drinks if driving, 0 drinks if underage, no more that 1 drink per hour and no more than 3 drinks in an evening. This is not an official policy (commanders can't actually mandate alcohol consumption, yet) but it's becoming more and more prevalent throughout the Navy. While this doesn't help the OP, the message in the Fleet seems to be: "watch how you use/abuse alcohol." It can & will affect your career.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
One of the more popular "strategeries" used by CO's

I've heard this isn't a strategy but now policy, however just from hearsay. I believe someone told me the Academy is implementing that policy to govern the Midshipman over 21 (the 1/hr/3/night), and that it's spread like wildfire in the fleet, but again this was all scuttlebut I heard at the bar, someone correct me if they know otherwise.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
One of the more popular "strategeries" used by CO's is the 0-0-0-1-3 policy.
I get the 0-0-0 part but the 1 and 3... YGTBSM... If sailors/marines are off duty and not causing trouble? As long as people aren't hungover or having to pull IMSAFE the next day why is it an issue?

What's next? Am I going to have to start saying "so to speak" everytime I say something remotely potentially offensive?

This sounds like the pussification of America yet again. Smash the neo-prohibitionist state... with a martini!

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Who cares? Do what you've always done, and don't do anything stupid. Some 0-0-0-1-3 "policy" won't mean anything.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Who cares?

I'm guessing the CO who keeps getting hammered on his DUI/ARI percentages. Not that you should be concerned with that however.

While I know many can't/won't change their drinking habits, knowing how the Fleet looks at this issue might actually help develop you into a forward looking, critical thinking Naval Officer. Just my .02c though

I could diverge into the whole "Saving the O'Clubs" thread, but . . . .
:icon_carn

penderwt

yut king
IndeeJordan,
Definitely disclose both offenses. Do not hide anything. My sophomore year, I was arrested for streaking. Drunk. Underage. I was charged with underage possession of alcohol, underage consumption, disorderly conduct, public indecency, and the real whopper, resisting arrest (seriously, though, would you have let officer Farve cuff you in your birthday suit? I had to outrun him long enough to get some clothes on. Unfortunately, he had my wallet, so I had to turn myself in. But I digress...) Anyway, 8 months after said incident, I was on a plane to OCS. What I did was undoubtedly more serious than having booze in my dorm or peeing in a bush. Just be honest, be proactive in securing a waiver, and be hot shit in all the other facets of your application (PFT, references, etc). You'll be fine.
-Bill

penderwt

yut king
Be sure to mention in your waiver that you straightened up after the second incident and didn't drink until your 21st

HueyCobra8151

pilot
That is Navy policy in the western region - not Marine Corps policy.

(According to an issue of Marine Corps times I read a few months ago)

As for the OP: One thing that might screw you is the fact that you got in trouble for something (which can be overlooked pretty easily), but then you went back and did it again - that is definitely a red flag that any board would take a much closer look at.

Ultimately though, it doesn't really matter what people on the internet have to say about your situation. Submit your package, do the best you can on it, do what your OSO says to do as far as damage control, then submit your pacakge and wait and see like everyone else.

Everyone on here could come out and say: "You are fine" or "You won't make it," but since none of us are on the board which determines who makes the cut and who doesn't, it is all conjecture and doesn't really do much more than give you peace of mind.

Rothman

pilot
IndeeJordan, I had two possessions under the legal age and a public intox (underage) while in college. If you're a strong applicant, they won't think twice about accepting you. Just don't lie about it, don't screw up any more than that, and work hard. The more your OSO likes you, the better your chances...

tlord82

pilot
I received a Possession by a Minor and a Distribution to Minors charge (we were all under 21; funny how that works) during summer when I was in ROTC. I confessed all to the appropriate people and didn't really have any problems. Only recurring issue is that during both of my security investigations for security clearances, there have been plenty of questions about the incident. It has never affected anything; the powers-that-be just look into it.
As everyone has said, confess, be honest and you won't have a problem.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
What's next? Am I going to have to start saying "so to speak" everytime I say something remotely potentially offensive?

The air force guys say that on purpose when they say something remotely potentially offensive..... ever notice that they laugh like little girls after saying "So to speak"?

I straight up told my OSO that I smoked pot a few times in high school and he didn't really seem to care. I think he was more pissed about the extra paperwork he had to do.

Just tell them the truth and don't worry about it.