• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiver for bachelors degree requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukarest01

It’s not that I think your plan is a bad one, but you’ll be bumping up against the age limits for being a pilot if your residency ends up being 6 years or more based on your age (assuming you finish just as you turn 26).

Are you set on being a doctor if your pilot aspirations don’t work out? If not, then I think exploring a degree program with a shorter timeline might be a better idea. I know it’s a very complicated situation, but I would hate to see you put all of that effort in only to age out.
No, I wouldn't mind not getting into the military. If it was just about that, I'd pick any ol' bachelors that I can get a good GPA in. Honestly I think that being in the AF reserve or ANG while being a doctor as a civilian is a better solution for me than being active duty in the navy. I just know the people on this site are navy. And regarding the age limit, I guess I'd still be under that, and getting a waiver for that shouldn't be that hard if it comes down to it.

NevarYalnal

No, I wouldn't mind not getting into the military. If it was just about that, I'd pick any ol' bachelors that I can get a good GPA in. Honestly I think that being in the AF reserve or ANG while being a doctor as a civilian is a better solution for me than being active duty in the navy. I just know the people on this site are navy. And regarding the age limit, I guess I'd still be under that, and getting a waiver for that shouldn't be that hard if it comes down to it.
Just FYI, becoming an AF pilot is even more competitive for civilians than in the other branches; majority of pilot slots are given to academy or ROTC grads.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just a note, at least when I was in the Recruiting gig 30+ years ago, you could not be a physician or ordained religious person and serve in any other capacity except chaplain or medical officer. Had to do with ethics. You know "do no harm". I expect that is why Rap Harm became a lawyer instead of a Doc. ?

magnetfreezer

Just a note, at least when I was in the Recruiting gig 30+ years ago, you could not be a physician or ordained religious person and serve in any other capacity except chaplain or medical officer. Had to do with ethics. You know "do no harm". I expect that is why Rap Harm became a lawyer instead of a Doc. ?
The Air Force has a (very low) number of dual qualified pilot/flight surgeon (pilot physician program): https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_sg/publication/afi11-405/afi11-405.pdf. They can be set to combatant or non-combatant (Geneva conventions medical) status for a deployment depending on the role they'll fill.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Im thinking about getting an M. D. in Austria or Germany, which is an undergrad and takes 6 years, so in my case I'd be done with that when I'm 25/26. I'd then do my residency in the U. S., which takes anywhere from 3 to 7+ years, so that should roughly be enough time to get my citizenship (when I go into the reserve once I am a resident, which drops my naturalization time to 0). So with a background like that I think anyone can agree on the fact that that's superior to about any bachelors degree. Therefore, it would make sense that the Navy/AF says that's totally sufficient. Or they stick to their regulations (which often go against common sense).

FYI, there aren't many easy avenues to become a Navy pilot through the Reserves. Outside of special cases, you need to have been active duty and trained/winged thusly before transitioning into the Reserves. Also, I'm not sure how many flying jobs are available as a Reservist. Most of my aviator reservist buddies were all driving desks. The National Guard is a bit easier but you still have to "rush" the squadrons for a spot at Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) which are few and far between.

Honestly, if you are dead set on being a doctor, then I would look into becoming a flight surgeon and serving that way. There are some positions that get ample flight time so you could still ride in military hardware. Not to mention, the military will help with continuing professional education and other medical training concerns.

exNavyOffRec

Im thinking about getting an M. D. in Austria or Germany, which is an undergrad and takes 6 years, so in my case I'd be done with that when I'm 25/26. I'd then do my residency in the U. S., which takes anywhere from 3 to 7+ years, so that should roughly be enough time to get my citizenship (when I go into the reserve once I am a resident, which drops my naturalization time to 0). So with a background like that I think anyone can agree on the fact that that's superior to about any bachelors degree. Therefore, it would make sense that the Navy/AF says that's totally sufficient. Or they stick to their regulations (which often go against common sense).

When you add up all that time that puts you right about the maximum age for joining without a waiver, and this is all based on them not changing the age back to what it was before.

exNavyOffRec

If you hold a license to practice medicine in the US, and are eligible to serve in the military through a citizenship program you will be fine. The degree equivalent in your case would be a wash by your licensing.

you would think but crazier things have happened.

bukarest01

The Air Force has a (very low) number of dual qualified pilot/flight surgeon (pilot physician program): https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_sg/publication/afi11-405/afi11-405.pdf. They can be set to combatant or non-combatant (Geneva conventions medical) status for a deployment depending on the role they'll fill.
Yeah I heard of that, but usually they take already trained pilots and send them back to med school, instead of training civilian doctors as pilots.
FYI, there aren't many easy avenues to become a Navy pilot through the Reserves. Outside of special cases, you need to have been active duty and trained/winged thusly before transitioning into the Reserves. Also, I'm not sure how many flying jobs are available as a Reservist. Most of my aviator reservist buddies were all driving desks. The National Guard is a bit easier but you still have to "rush" the squadrons for a spot at Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) which are few and far between.

Honestly, if you are dead set on being a doctor, then I would look into becoming a flight surgeon and serving that way. There are some positions that get ample flight time so you could still ride in military hardware. Not to mention, the military will help with continuing professional education and other medical training concerns.
Well, maybe I'll become a neurosurgeon. Then I can buy me an L-39 after a couple of years and have my fun that way.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

I know plenty of military pilots who became pilots because they couldn’t get into Medical School and I’ve flown with airline pilots who started Medical School and didn’t finish and became professional pilots.

It has been my experience that becoming a professional pilot was a fallback career for those who couldn’t become doctors. Deciding to go through medical school and then a residency to become a professional pilot... That’s just crazy talk.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
It’s an 18 year old kid who hasn’t even been accepted to medical school yet let alone obtained a green card or a visa. It’s all hypothetical pipe dreaming at this point.

From the dude's bio:

bukarest01 said:
find whether I can become a US citizen and subsequently a US Navy Pilot. I know it's an abitious goal and I don't expect to accomplish it

So I guess that's the end of the thread. ?‍♂️

bukarest01

I know plenty of military pilots who became pilots because they couldn’t get into Medical School and I’ve flown with airline pilots who started Medical School and didn’t finish and became professional pilots.

It has been my experience that becoming a professional pilot was a fallback career for those who couldn’t become doctors. Deciding to go through medical school and then a residency to become a professional pilot... That’s just crazy talk.
I agree with you that becoming a doctor as a means to become a pilot is straight up stupid. I just don't wanna choose between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.