• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiver for bachelors degree requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukarest01

Hey, let's say I wanna be a pilot in the navy (or any other branch) and I don't have a bachelors degree. I do have a degree that is generally considered on par or more advanced than a bachelor, like a foreign M.D (but licensed in the US), which is in most countries an undergrad degree. Could I then get a waiver for the BA requirement?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Not a waiver in the strict sense of the word, but I think what you should be looking for is foreign education credentialing. There are at least couple of places that do that, USCES.org and WES.org, but first talk with an officer recruiter on exactly how to go about this. Broadly speaking, you send one of those places a copy of your transcript and they create a document stating what it is equivalent to in the U.S. education system. It costs something like $100 and takes a week or two.

exNavyOffRec

Like what was said above, contact an OR, they will have the NRD EDSPEC review the degree and send up to NRC for determination if the USN will accept it, unfortunately even if other education institutions in the US consider it fine if the USN does not then you cannot proceed.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Austrian, in his profile.

Good luck, bukarest.

bukarest01

Not a waiver in the strict sense of the word, but I think what you should be looking for is foreign education credentialing. There are at least couple of places that do that, USCES.org and WES.org, but first talk with an officer recruiter on exactly how to go about this. Broadly speaking, you send one of those places a copy of your transcript and they create a document stating what it is equivalent to in the U.S. education system. It costs something like $100 and takes a week or two.
Will the navy accept this tho?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Will the navy accept this tho?
An officer recruiter will be the best person to answer that question.

22 years ago, a WES report sufficed for the bachelor's degree requirement to get me in the Navy. I don't know what's changed in that time or what is still the same.

bukarest01

An officer recruiter will be the best person to answer that question.

22 years ago, a WES report sufficed for the bachelor's degree requirement to get me in the Navy. I don't know what's changed in that time or what is still the same.
But you had a bachelors, right?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's the specific credential that you have? I'm fairly familiar with the German higher educational system, which I don't think differs too much from yours.

One thing to keep in mind is that the US Army's Warrant Officer Flight Training (WOFT) program only requires a high school degree, so that may be an option if other flight programs wouldn't work out, provided you can get your citizenship and be eligible for a security clearance.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
What @cfam said. The army is a solid option. I have worked in higher ed and @Jim123 is right that there are military regulations that allow a foreign degree to suffice for the education requirements. Good luck to you in your pursuit.

bukarest01

What's the specific credential that you have? I'm fairly familiar with the German higher educational system, which I don't think differs too much from yours.

One thing to keep in mind is that the US Army's Warrant Officer Flight Training (WOFT) program only requires a high school degree, so that may be an option if other flight programs wouldn't work out, provided you can get your citizenship and be eligible for a security clearance.
Im thinking about getting an M. D. in Austria or Germany, which is an undergrad and takes 6 years, so in my case I'd be done with that when I'm 25/26. I'd then do my residency in the U. S., which takes anywhere from 3 to 7+ years, so that should roughly be enough time to get my citizenship (when I go into the reserve once I am a resident, which drops my naturalization time to 0). So with a background like that I think anyone can agree on the fact that that's superior to about any bachelors degree. Therefore, it would make sense that the Navy/AF says that's totally sufficient. Or they stick to their regulations (which often go against common sense).

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Im thinking about getting an M. D. in Austria or Germany, which is an undergrad and takes 6 years, so in my case I'd be done with that when I'm 25/26. I'd then do my residency in the U. S., which takes anywhere from 3 to 7+ years, so that should roughly be enough time to get my citizenship (when I go into the reserve once I am a resident, which drops my naturalization time to 0). So with a background like that I think anyone can agree on the fact that that's superior to about any bachelors degree. Therefore, it would make sense that the Navy/AF says that's totally sufficient. Or they stick to their regulations (which often go against common sense).
If you hold a license to practice medicine in the US, and are eligible to serve in the military through a citizenship program you will be fine. The degree equivalent in your case would be a wash by your licensing.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It’s not that I think your plan is a bad one, but you’ll be bumping up against the age limits for being a pilot if your residency ends up being 6 years or more based on your age (assuming you finish just as you turn 26).

Are you set on being a doctor if your pilot aspirations don’t work out? If not, then I think exploring a degree program with a shorter timeline might be a better idea. I know it’s a very complicated situation, but I would hate to see you put all of that effort in only to age out.

Status
Not open for further replies.