• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VT Checkrides for Biennial Flight Review?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you already have your PPL or better ticket with a complex endorsement you're rated.

Not sure if the FSDO guy figured I was rated in the T-45, but he counted it. And it reset my clock for my glider BFR date. (I only hold a PPL-Glider)

I think you got a good deal (and I don't think that's a bad thing). I never did get a complex/HP endorsement while flying the T-34. I flew with two guys as a winged aviator (one was my on-wing when I was a stud) who were CFIs who would probably have signed me off, and I just never thought hard enough to ask for an endorsement. I regret that now.

Of course, it all may be moot now, as I can't seem to find my civilian logbook. I'm kind of annoyed, since I had it back in December.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Just a reminder...IPCs are category specific, so an annual instrument check in a helo does not reset your fixed wing IPC and vice versa.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think you got a good deal (and I don't think that's a bad thing). I never did get a complex/HP endorsement while flying the T-34. I flew with two guys as a winged aviator (one was my on-wing when I was a stud) who were CFIs who would probably have signed me off, and I just never thought hard enough to ask for an endorsement. I regret that now.

Of course, it all may be moot now, as I can't seem to find my civilian logbook. I'm kind of annoyed, since I had it back in December.

So I'm thinking ahead here. I know the FITU (or PIT as the AF calls it) gets me a CFI(I?) rating, but can I get this HP/Complex endorsement from any CFI pilot I fly with there? Does it need to be on a checkride? Can I just go to the local FSDO and show them my mil logbook and get the guy there to sign me off based on my qualification as an IP?

As an aside... is there anything involved with getting my CFI/I after I'm designated an IP? Ie: a mil competency exam/check or anything?

OscarMyers

None
Not an official endorsement, of course, but these guys are going to be your best friends as you progress with your next set of orders.

+1 for these guys. Used it a few weeks ago for my instrument written. Having used gliem and Sheppard air, Sheppard definetely focuses the question bank more them gliem. Even more useful since the FAA stopped publishing the test question. Used it for three days and made an 87.

jtmedli

pilot
+1 for these guys. Used it a few weeks ago for my instrument written. Having used gliem and Sheppard air, Sheppard definetely focuses the question bank more them gliem. Even more useful since the FAA stopped publishing the test question. Used it for three days and made an 87.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why not just use the questions that are on Marinegouge.com? That's what I used and they were verbatim on the test.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but just thinking out loud here. Does the T6B still count for the 'complex' signoff since the PMU controls the prop and there's no condition lever like in the T34 (or most complex a/c)?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just a reminder...IPCs are category specific, so an annual instrument check in a helo does not reset your fixed wing IPC and vice versa.

An annoying fact I discovered digging through the FARs a couple of months ago.

So I'm thinking ahead here. I know the FITU (or PIT as the AF calls it) gets me a CFI(I?) rating, but can I get this HP/Complex endorsement from any CFI pilot I fly with there? Does it need to be on a checkride? Can I just go to the local FSDO and show them my mil logbook and get the guy there to sign me off based on my qualification as an IP?

As an aside... is there anything involved with getting my CFI/I after I'm designated an IP? Ie: a mil competency exam/check or anything?

PIT/FITU does not make you a CFI. You'll get your designation letter and NATOPS qual but you still need to take the CFI/I mil comp exam. As mentioned, SheppardAir is the way to go. I started using them, but it was right before a PCS and then learning a new aircraft, so I just haven't got back into it, but a guy I work with did both his ATP (and there's plenty here who have recently used them for that) and his CFII using them and he was very happy.

I don't know if anyone ever got an answer to the question of whether you can get a helo CFI qual with a "NI" or "ANI" qual (I personally don't think you should). I never pursued the question since I ended up with both rotary and fixed-wing IP designations when the FAR was getting finalized.

Man, I really need to take that test...

KBayDog

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why not just use the questions that are on Marinegouge.com? That's what I used and they were verbatim on the test.

Marinegouge (not that I have any idea what that is ;) ) is supposedly good for the standard Rotorcraft-Helo & ASEL Comm/Inst tickets you are eligible to get out of the HTs.

For other/higher ratings (like what Otto could be up for), Sheppard Air is the best deal going.

jtmedli

pilot
Marinegouge (not that I have any idea what that is ;) ) is supposedly good for the standard Rotorcraft-Helo & ASEL Comm/Inst tickets you are eligible to get out of the HTs.

For other/higher ratings (like what Otto could be up for), Sheppard Air is the best deal going.

Rog, I was just wondering why OscarMyers up there was using Sheppard Air instead of just using the same gouge everyone else does.

And yes,
jedimindtrickbenkenobi-GOUGE-1.jpg

OscarMyers

None
Rog, I was just wondering why OscarMyers up there was using Sheppard Air instead of just using the same gouge everyone else does.

And yes,
jedimindtrickbenkenobi-GOUGE-1.jpg

I did my instrument at Riddle, because the VA was paying for it and I wasn't going to get it through NFO training. Not sure when you took it but the FAA stopped publishing the questions. Sheppard will refund your payment if you find a question on the FAA exam that they didn't have.

jtmedli

pilot
I did my instrument at Riddle, because the VA was paying for it and I wasn't going to get it through NFO training. Not sure when you took it but the FAA stopped publishing the questions. Sheppard will refund your payment if you find a question on the FAA exam that they didn't have.

I took it about 36 hours ago. The questions on Marine Gouge were verbatim. They may have stopped publishing them, but it doesn't look like they changed them. :cool:

Gotcha on the Embry Riddle thing.

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot

Also, this may be a stupid question, but just thinking out loud here. Does the T6B still count for the 'complex' signoff since the PMU controls the prop and there's no condition lever like in the T34 (or most complex a/c)?

The FAR's say a "controllable pitch propeller" and you are controlling the pitch of the T-6 prop via the PCL. It doesn't say anywhere that it needs to be controlled via a condition lever, or prop lever.

jtmedli

pilot
The FAR's say a "controllable pitch propeller" and you are controlling the pitch of the T-6 prop via the PCL. It doesn't say anywhere that it needs to be controlled via a condition lever, or prop lever.

Ahhh, I like the way you think!!

OscarMyers

None
I took it about 36 hours ago. The questions on Marine Gouge were verbatim. They may have stopped publishing them, but it doesn't look like they changed them. :cool:

Gotcha on the Embry Riddle thing.

Cool. I'll have to check that site out when I decide to do my commercial. Any idea what kind of stick time SNFOs get. Kinda hoping I can get my high performance/complex sign off. I'll be checking into nasc next Friday.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I think you got a good deal (and I don't think that's a bad thing). I never did get a complex/HP endorsement while flying the T-34.
If you have a commerical ASEL or commercial AMEL, you do not need a complex endorsement. Those tickets require at least 10 hours of training in a complex aircraft and the checkride has to be in a complex aircraft. So you're covered.

Similarily, an ATP is an instrument ticket. So after you get your ATP, the "instrument airplane" is dropped off the license (assuming you had it). If for some reason you had a non-instrument licesne and took an ATP, you have instrument privileges in the category of aircraft for which your ATP is valid.

A good argument could be made that if your commercial ticket is based on a military competency and that flying was done in a T-34 or T-6, then you don't need a high performance endorsement either. If you go to a FSDO again, you might ask them and if there is any doubt, have the FAA guy throw a one-liner in the back of your log book.

And Gator, if you've lost your civilian logbook, you can get copies of the 8710 form you filled out for the FAA when you got your mil comp done. If you filled in the hours block at the bottom, you can throw those times into a new book. If you have receipts from when you flew or if you flew with someone else that kept a log, you can reconstruct the rest from those. Remember, except for required sign offs or endorsements, a civilian log book is self certifying. It is what you want to put into it. The required sign offs and endorsements aren't needed anymore once the license they were going toward is obtained so if those are lost it is no big deal.