• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VR Simulators at Whiting

RoarkJr.

Naval flight training used to have a lot of informative and useful training videos with a film reel on an old fashioned movie projector. A lot of those got transferred to VHS tapes or updated and put on VHS. You'd sign out a copy and watch it in one of the cubicles with a VCR, little TV, and headphones. Some of that stuff made it onto digital, but a lot of the digital age training turned into what we now know as CBTs, self-paced learning where you click on the next slide and the one after that, with little 30 second vignettes but mostly cut-and-paste text from one of the pubs.

About six or seven years ago some of the Whiting IPs put together some really great primary formation videos. Those are on YouTube and I'm pretty sure they're still an officially sanctioned "you really should watch this" part of the syllabus. They're well produced too, just the right amount of narration, little text boxes and arrows to emphasize visual checkpoints and what to look for or what step of the procedure the video is doing. It's a shame that these stand out as the exception rather than the rule.

I found a Whiting Primary T6 gouge channel on the tube named “IJTRL” that has pretty good demo videos taken from a go-pro, though they’re a bit dated. There’s another channel that has about 10 videos of Primary briefs. Learned about the COMP approach to studying that is proving useful in Cessna land.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I found a Whiting Primary T6 gouge channel on the tube named “IJTRL” that has pretty good demo videos taken from a go-pro, though they’re a bit dated. There’s another channel that has about 10 videos of Primary briefs. Learned about the COMP approach to studying that is proving useful in Cessna land.

What's this? My initial google search yielded nothing great.

A fellow instructor with me gave me the method by which I conducted most of my briefs - the 4 P's - Purpose, Parts, Problems (related emergencies), and Peculiarities.

FinkUFreaky

pilot

A fellow instructor with me gave me the method by which I conducted most of my briefs - the 4 P's - Purpose, Parts, Problems (related emergencies), and Peculiarities.
I only ever knew about the 7 Ps: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

RoarkJr.

COMP - Centralize, Organize, Memorize, Practice. He led by asking the on wing about all of the different pubs and sources of information, of which there were a lot. Pitched the COMP method as the way to study in Primary. That was also the name of the video on YouTube, “How to study in primary.”

It’s proved useful in NIFE 3 where we have to study the FTI, syllabus, Hollywood script, Checklists and EP’s, discuss items, brief prep, etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I should rephrase, the 4Ps are the perfect methodology for a systems brief.

Incorrect. The correct method is to vomit out all of the information you think is important first before you forget it. Technique is to do it scattershot so that then the instructor has a hard time remembering if you've already covered something you're not fully prepared for, which in turn just makes the instructor move on to the next item.

An additional technique is to do the above as a CAT Other while briefing with a CAT 1, so that then the CAT 1 can come in and clean up whatever you missed.

These are proven methods.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Incorrect. The correct method is to vomit out all of the information you think is important first before you forget it. Technique is to do it scattershot so that then the instructor has a hard time remembering if you've already covered something you're not fully prepared for, which in turn just makes the instructor move on to the next item.

An additional technique is to do the above as a CAT Other while briefing with a CAT 1, so that then the CAT 1 can come in and clean up whatever you missed.

These are proven methods.
This is the way.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
Nothing beyond observations, but they put up maybe 8-10 new VR set ups that have a similar look as the old ones, with obviously upgraded components (50ish inch TV displays, more computer hardware, similar looking controls etc.) in the Corpus sim bay. They've even got students with "avenger" patches, half vt-27, half vt-28 logos, running around doing seemingly normal primary contacts sims and studying.
I’m likely one of those Avenger students you’ve seen. The VR sims are mostly for course rules, comms via a program called PilotEdge that lets us talk to a trained ATC guy (likely sitting at his computer in his skivvies), procedures, and RIs since the FMS doesn’t work in them.

Meyerkord

pilot
comms via a program called PilotEdge that lets us talk to a trained ATC guy (likely sitting at his computer in his skivvies)
Well damn, that's pretty cool. Does this comms guy get scheduled into your specific sim time or do you just match up with some random person once your sim starts?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pilot Edge info can be found here. I've wondered a) what motivates a controller to do work stuff when not working, and b) if it's money, how much is PE truly making and paying out?

Dontcallmegump

pilot
I’m likely one of those Avenger students you’ve seen. The VR sims are mostly for course rules, comms via a program called PilotEdge that lets us talk to a trained ATC guy (likely sitting at his computer in his skivvies), procedures, and RIs since the FMS doesn’t work in them.
Someone told me that on some of your first events they've got you shooting approaches, and someone even got an unsat for fouling up an ILS. Whats the real story?

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
Well damn, that's pretty cool. Does this comms guy get scheduled into your specific sim time or do you just match up with some random person once your sim starts?
There’s scheduled times where he’s logged in and our syllabus VR events are usually in those windows. It’s just one dude, his name’s Mike and he has the patience of a saint lol.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
Someone told me that on some of your first events they've got you shooting approaches, and someone even got an unsat for fouling up an ILS. Whats the real story?
I shot an ILS into KCRP at night on my second flight, so doing instrument stuff way early is definitely true. No one’s gotten an unsat for a flight, and definitely not for an ILS. Don’t know where that came from. Our first flights are still contacts focused, so any instrument stuff on them is for exposure and practice.

RoarkJr.

About a dozen or so full VR sims with warthog gear and Alienware computers just arrived in Milton at the sim bay. Apparently they’re for Avenger. Any gouge on when that would start?

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
About a dozen or so full VR sims with warthog gear and Alienware computers just arrived in Milton at the sim bay. Apparently they’re for Avenger. Any gouge on when that would start?
I do know a LT Mullaney will be the OIC for Whiting Avenger, and that it should be starting around Spring 2021