• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VP and their misunderstanding of the word "preflight"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... Nice to see that there are a bunch of bright idea fairies ...
Counterpoint & bright idea from a fairy:

Heineman's Hot-Rod takes 5 minutes to preflight ...
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: ... or mebbe 10 if you're a dunce ... :skull_125

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Concur, and what I stated in my post, we have our preflight, it is what it is. You just have a bunch of ppl that like to stir the pot, some in good humor and others in plain ignorance on how VP operates. Nice to see that there are a bunch of bright idea fairies in TACAIR/HELO and "cough" TACAMO, you FINE GENTS keep plugging. :)

Fixed it.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
It got to the point going through the RAG where the CAT 1's would pretty much have to learn the nomenclature of the H-3 and be able to translate it to H-60 so we could understand what the question was.... For example, the H-60 Power Control Levers were called Speed Selectors in the Sea Pig and thus had to understand when the IP asked a question about Speed Selectors, he really meant the PCL's (since IP's are never, ever wrong!)

I like how everybody calls the same thing by a different name. In the T-45s we had MFDs, that looked pretty similar to the things we have in the Hornet, but are called DDIs or MPCDs or the dreaded "fishbowl" (which always blows the Rhino guys minds). How about an industry standard term? Also DEP or UFC... I know the planes were built by different companies, but how about if we call the same thing by the same name?

And don't get me started on VCRs. I don't care what McDonnel Douglas or now Boeing's name is for it. If it records audio and video onto a cassette tape, then it is called a VCR. It doesn't get a new name just because it is in a fighter jet. VTR...TEMAC... whatever. Its a VCR.

Pags

N/A
pilot
For example, the H-60 Power Control Levers were called Speed Selectors in the Sea Pig and thus had to understand when the IP asked a question about Speed Selectors, he really meant the PCL's (since IP's are never, ever wrong!)

Got in a lively debate with a buddy of mine on this nomenclature the other day when flying the 53 sim for an Instrument Check. The Shitter has speeds as well and we were debating as to whether the name was changed "for a fitrep bullet" or did they do two different things, hence the different name? I don't think we ever settled it, but my contention was that because the 60 has a DECU, the PCLs actually change the power available from the engine while the speeds directly change the speed of the motor (Nf in the 53). It went on for awhile and went round and round.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I like how everybody calls the same thing by a different name. In the T-45s we had MFDs, that looked pretty similar to the things we have in the Hornet, but are called DDIs or MPCDs or the dreaded "fishbowl" (which always blows the Rhino guys minds). How about an industry standard term? Also DEP or UFC... I know the planes were built by different companies, but how about if we call the same thing by the same name?

And don't get me started on VCRs. I don't care what McDonnel Douglas or now Boeing's name is for it. If it records audio and video onto a cassette tape, then it is called a VCR. It doesn't get a new name just because it is in a fighter jet. VTR...TEMAC... whatever. Its a VCR.

To be fair, "VTR" was actually the original name for such devices when they originated in the production world, long before the consumer got his hands on it. The video recording device any of us have in our aircraft is a much more robust piece of gear than a standard VCR. More along the lines of an industrial grade device (or if your plane is really gucci, broadcast grade). But yeah, same concept.

But I'm with you on your overall point. And by the way, it's "MPD."

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
To be fair, "VTR" was actually the original name for such devices when they originated in the production world, long before the consumer got his hands on it. The video recording device any of us have in our aircraft is a much more robust piece of gear than a standard VCR. More along the lines of an industrial grade device (or if your plane is really gucci, broadcast grade). But yeah, same concept.

I've heard of MFD, but what's MPD?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Correct. Even Sikorsky can't keep it straight w/in the same type/model.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

You need to see the Marconi VTR in the Goshawk. Yeah, I'm convinced that it's been around a lot longer than a consumer VCR (like Marconi himself had one), but broadcast grade it is not.

The day is coming when companies stop making 8mm tape. Are there fleet aircraft that still use tapes? I've heard that a lot of aircraft have moved over to solid state memory in place of tapes.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Correct. Even Sikorsky can't keep it straight w/in the same type/model.

I love how instead of starting big picture A/C systems and working down into more detail, and starting with basic checklists and how to do all the admin stuff (start, taxi, takeoff) in the RAG, we started out with all the computers/avionics.... the most complicated crap ever with endless acronyms.

I just came from a 57, and I'm reading all this crap, and after it's mentioned ONCE it is strictly an acronym. So I'm sitting there reading about the MD/FD, MFRs, FMCs, AMC, CSCs, CSCG, AMC, AOP, AST, ADT, ADC, EGI's (with alignments: HNAV, IF, GC, SH and DG), DALS/DFG, AFCS/AFCC, ETC ETC and needless to say, I don't have a fucking clue.