• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VP and their misunderstanding of the word "preflight"

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
We have a shit hot AWV1 who was a former AT1 who worked on E2's for the last 13 years. He does 10x what our normal IFTs do and can't understand why they don't do more in terms of preflights. The only answer I get is that they want the operators to do all the stuff with their own systems, so that when it fails in flight they can fix it, rather than have one dude running around trying to fix everything. Also, VP barely trusts O's with crypto; somebody would stroke out if we suggested E's do it.

Why we don't have troubleshooters assigned to each event standing by to handle gripes, I'll never know. Compared to an 18 squadron, we have more maintainers and fewer aircraft, so it certainly seems possible.

Sounds like the helo community transition from flying Maintainers.... "Hey sir, I've seen this before. What you want to do is xyz..." Uh... yeah. You're probably right, but let's just call in a shooter. It's pretty much gone away now from what I've seen, but I recall seeing that once or twice during the RAG.

As for Crypto, that's interesting. I don't know what kind of crypto you guys deal with (the super secret squirrel stuff?), but for us, I don't think a single O outside of the CommO does anything related to Crypto. OS's update the DTDs and AVI loads it daily and that's that. I doubt if even half the pilots (the junior half) know what a CZY-10/Kyk-13 or SKL is, or how to use it.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't know why everyone's getting wrapped around the axle on what constitutes a preflight in the different communities. It is what it is...
Concur, and what I stated in my post, we have our preflight, it is what it is. You just have a bunch of ppl that like to stir the pot, some in good humor and others in plain ignorance on how VP operates. Nice to see that there are a bunch of bright idea fairies in TACAIR/HELO and "cough" TACEMO, you gals keep plugging. :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Concur, and what I stated in my post, we have our preflight, it is what it is.

Some of what you do is "different." Some of it isn't. Honestly I think the crux of this thread was trying to understand the "5 hour pre-flight" statement and what that means. I've heard you talk about "5 hour pre-flights" for years now, but didn't realize until this thread that you didn't actually mean you were playing with a flap or kicking a main mount for 5 hours.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Some of what you do is "different." Some of it isn't. Honestly I think the crux of this thread was trying to understand the "5 hour pre-flight" statement and what that means. I've heard you talk about "5 hour pre-flights" for years now, but didn't realize until this thread that you didn't actually mean you were playing with a flap or kicking a main mount for 5 hours.

Agreed. I think I may have posed the original questoin. It was answered some time ago. My last post WRT NFL LFE launch was just for comparisons sake.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With every new thread that comes up about the Warpig, I am further reminded why I didn't select P-3s..

I can't even imagine what you guys are going to do with that shiny new P-8... Bitch about the "good old days" when preflights used to take 84 hours and how one of your IFTs missed the birth of his child because he was preflighting yadda yadda yadda?

Ya'll have fun with that.

Crypto loading will be easier for one thing. Apparently there's one port where you load everything which will be glorious. But I'll be fully qualified by that point, so I won't be hauling the comm box anyway.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I can't even imagine what you guys are going to do with that shiny new P-8... Bitch about the "good old days" when preflights used to take 84 hours and how one of your IFTs missed the birth of his child because he was preflighting yadda yadda yadda?

You pretty much are spot on about the reminiscing that will happen once VP transitions to the new airframe.

When HS started transitioning to the 60F in the 90's we had to listen about how the Imperial Sea Pig (the H-3) won the cold war (and how the H-60 had all the problems and how the H-3 was sooo superior)!! It got to the point going through the RAG where the CAT 1's would pretty much have to learn the nomenclature of the H-3 and be able to translate it to H-60 so we could understand what the question was.... For example, the H-60 Power Control Levers were called Speed Selectors in the Sea Pig and thus had to understand when the IP asked a question about Speed Selectors, he really meant the PCL's (since IP's are never, ever wrong!)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Crypto loading will be easier for one thing. Apparently there's one port where you load everything which will be glorious. But I'll be fully qualified by that point, so I won't be hauling the comm box anyway.

I can't believe I missed this one the first time.

I think the NATOPS term for that is Glory Hole.

Urban Dictionary strikes again!!