• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

vision test and ocs

RussBow6

You can fail depth at MEPS as they only have one of the 3 approved depth tests there (the MEPS dots test, Randot, stereo fly) so you have to get outside testing done as an applicant.
Much like if you fail the isihara plate tests at MEPS you can take the flant. Check the waiver guide for full details.

congrats nugget... i remember we were talking about this awhile ago. hopefully i can find away to pass it at ocs and nami too now...

dsevo

I failed one eye at ocs (20/30), but it doesn't matter at all. I just did my flight physical here in Pcola and passed yesterday. It is likely you will fail at OCS because you go to medical on your second day on almost no sleep. Don' sweat it though. Just make sure you are within 20/40 or they may NPQ you.

cpwhit1

Final Select SNFO 07 March 2010
I went to a civilian eye doc yesterday to have a color vision test done (he's the eye doc a local FAA flight surgeon goes through). He gave me the dot plate test (I failed this at MEPS) and I passed it only getting one plate wrong (15/16). He also gave me the Farnsworth D-15 test, which I aced. So he wrote me up a letter saying which tests I took and how I scored. He also wrote in the letter that, in his medical opinion, I am not color blind and that I would be fine for any type of flying.

So I had this faxed up to my OR today and now I'm just waiting to see if it works.

kitemen

I failed the depth perception at meps, I told the doctor i had light prescription glasses in my car, I went and got them, passed meps with no problem (but he wrote pass/ with prescription). Now my recruiter wants me to get a recent eye exam from a local doctor and bring him the results, because i was selected for sna, he wants to add a recent eye exam to send with my ocs letter. Now I am worried about not passing it at OCS, has anyone else passed the depth perception with grasses? I am 20/25 and 20/30

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
To the guys who read less then 20/20... did they get your refractive error after.

At OCS, no. It's a pass/fail thing. During your NAMI physical in Pensacola, yes. And you'll get cool (sic) flight frames shortly after.

UF_ME

I have heard a lot about the stylish glasses you get in P-COLA around AW but have never actually seen them...does anyone have a picture?

Diesel

At OCS, no. It's a pass/fail thing. During your NAMI physical in Pensacola, yes. And you'll get cool (sic) flight frames shortly after.

I thought they issued the BCGs during OCS and made you wear them. For SNA at least, correct me if I'm wrong

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
I thought they issued the BCGs during OCS and made you wear them. For SNA at least, correct me if I'm wrong

You only get BCGs at OCS if you're farsighted and need them to do daily tasks. A 20/40 nearsighted problem will not get you BCGs at OCS. Or if you do, maybe you don't wear them. Who will know?

Diesel

You only get BCGs at OCS if you're farsighted and need them to do daily tasks. A 20/40 nearsighted problem will not get you BCGs at OCS. Or if you do, maybe you don't wear them. Who will know?

When is it possible to receive a NAMI Whammy. I've heard of them hitting people on the flight physical the second day at OCS but not really at P'Cola, and that the NAMI physical in Pensacola goes by fairly well if you already made it through the one at OCS.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
When is it possible to receive a NAMI Whammy. I've heard of them hitting people on the flight physical the second day at OCS but not really at P'Cola, and that the NAMI physical in Pensacola goes by fairly well if you already made it through the one at OCS.

The short answer is any time. Ask the dudes who went in for a cough and went med down for 6 months or booted completely.

In reality, for OCS people, you see a flight surgeon at OCS during your physical. If you have any outstanding medical stuff there, they will let you know. We had one guy get whammied for breathing stuff on like week 7 though, after further testing they did. If you get cleared in Newport, the NAMI physical in PCola is just a confirmation of the one in Newport, unless you've had your 25th birthday while at OCS. My NAMI check in appt in Pensacola consisted of a vision test and talking to the flight doc. In an out in 30 mins. Academy and ROTC folks don't get a full physical until at NAMI PCola, so it's no surprise a lot of them get hit by the NAMI Whammy.

Airbus

Hi guys,

Need some help understanding the timeline of all the medicals one has to take before/during OCS. This is my understanding: MEPS (I already completed) ----> OCS physical similar/harder than MEPS ----> Pensacola NOMI similar to OCS physical.

From what I gathered from the above posts, the OCS physical is done almost immediately once you arrive to OCS(?). If for whatever reason they discover some issue that would DQ you from being a pilot, what happens next? This might be a naive question, but can an individual opt out of joining the Navy at that point (I know all the papers are already signed)? I would assume you are stuck and get re-assigned to a different MOS.

Could any recent OCS guys/gals give any insight of how the OCS physical is given? Techs or Doc's?

Thank you guys so much for the help.

Anchors_Away

Hi folks, sounds like a lot of pilots on this thread, but is the eye test the same for SWO? Or do you just need to be correctable to 20/20 for that and not have a worse cap for uncorrected? Thanks all

Gator Guard

always knife hands
Airbus,

In almost every OCS class there are guys and gals who get NPQ'd from aviation on their first trip to NHCNE (the clinic where the physicals are done). Other people (like myself) find out much later they got NPQ'd. I found out 2 days before graduation.

Some of those people drop on request when they find out. OCS is voluntary and candidates can quit at any time.

My personal opinion is that those people who drop once they know they can't fly shouldn't have signed up in the first place. It's like they never considered the possibility that they could commission and still never wing or even fly. Then what would they have done?

As far as the actual examinations go, all I can say is that they are very thorough.