• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

vision test and ocs

hotwings

I was just wondering how common it is to pass your vision test at meps and then fail at ocs? I think I'm just being paranoid but I am not 20/20 and my left eye is like 20/35 so i dont want to have a bad day and ruin these pass 6 months of work. If you do fail it do they retest you like 3 times or is it one and done? Last question, are the vision tests the same at ocs as at meps (I have seen this discussed but I am hoping to get a recent grads answer)? Thanks

Longhorn

The eye exam at OCS is much more in depth than at MEPS. That being said, as long as your vision is no worse than 20/40 correctable to 20/20 you will be find( which you are). Obviously, they will do other eye tests, but as for your worry about not being 20/20 you should be fine.

RussBow6

is the depth perception test the same at ocs as it was at meps??

'cause i failed the one at meps... dun dun dun

hotwings

longhorn can you be more specific with the actual tests because I have heard people say it is easier ocs due to them using a chart rather than the machine at meps, and then I have read it is more in depth like you said.........so help us waiting for our ocs date

srqwho

pilot
longhorn can you be more specific with the actual tests because I have heard people say it is easier ocs due to them using a chart rather than the machine at meps, and then I have read it is more in depth like you said.........so help us waiting for our ocs date

You don't use the binocular type device at OCS. They actually have a room that is 20 ft long instead of using mirrors like at the typical eye doc. At the end of the room there are a few charts and each corresponds to a certain acuity (20/20 20/30, etc...) I found it more difficult because the letters are much closer together. FYI it's the same type of test that you'll have at NOMI in Pcola when you get down there. Each chart has I think 10 rows and they will ask you to read a line. The depth perception and color blindness test are done by a tech (not a doc) and were the same as MEPS. At the same time they give you an acuity test before you go see the doc I guess to screen you... I don't know.

A guy in my class failed it the first time and they let him come back a couple times and he ended up passing it. If you have a bad day don't freak out and let it get to you... They'll give you another chance or 2. What really helps me is closing my eyes for a few minutes before taking the tests. I would close my eyes in the van on the way to the doc and try and rest them as you wait for the test. Also, hydrate and try and get some rest. Also, they'll give you some eye drops if you ask for them... that always helped me too. Good luck.

Longhorn

The OCS exam is more in depth but due to the accuracy of the machines they use I believe it helps you. The machines at MEPS were crap. I failed the depth perception at MEPS and passed it at OCS and NOMI.

RussBow6

would they let you use the stereofly booklet thing that the civilian docs use?

i passed that guy no problem when i went and saw an optometrist...

hotwings

russbow im not sure if you looked into it but there are a few tricks to help with the depth perception test.....the first time i did it idid not really know what i was doing (still passed luckily) but later found out to look passed the dots and one should pop out......also sometimes you can slightly cross your eyes and that will help....lastly some have claimed that using those magiceye books help with depth perception

***the last thing i have heard is the dot you are loooking for is never the first or last one (cannot confirm this)

skrueger

I have the same depth perception issue as Russbow. Failed twice at Meps. Passed civilian test no problems. Navy approved medical for SNA. Just nervous about retaking at OCS.

RussBow6

yeah i cant say i'm feeling good about retaking it at ocs either. ive read everything i can find on it. hopefully those tricks will help me the next time...

if you watch the new ocs dvd put out by navy recruiting you see a kid taking the stereofly booklet depth test (same one the civilian docs use) with the 3d glasses and everything... so i was hoping they let you use that civilian test... but i guess i shouldnt get my hopes up

cpwhit1

Final Select SNFO 07 March 2010
yeah i cant say i'm feeling good about retaking it at ocs either. ive read everything i can find on it. hopefully those tricks will help me the next time...

if you watch the new ocs dvd put out by navy recruiting you see a kid taking the stereofly booklet depth test (same one the civilian docs use) with the 3d glasses and everything... so i was hoping they let you use that civilian test... but i guess i shouldnt get my hopes up

So you failed the depth perception at MEPS but you still got a final Select for SNA? That wouldn't NPQ you? I ask because I failed the color vision tests at MEPS...but they told my OR I was physically qualified. I'm kinda waiting for someone to tell me I'm NPQ (hoping not though).

RussBow6

yeah i was npq'd... thats why i swore in nfo at first...

you read around here enough though and everyone says to never take no for answer so i submitted another packet of civilian eye doc letters, a faa flight doc letter, printed out some sections from the medical manual and nami guide with some stuff highlighted and it did the trick to get me approved sna. now i just need to keep it...

nugget61

pilot
So you failed the depth perception at MEPS but you still got a final Select for SNA? That wouldn't NPQ you? I ask because I failed the color vision tests at MEPS...but they told my OR I was physically qualified. I'm kinda waiting for someone to tell me I'm NPQ (hoping not though).

You can fail depth at MEPS as they only have one of the 3 approved depth tests there (the MEPS dots test, Randot, stereo fly) so you have to get outside testing done as an applicant.
Much like if you fail the isihara plate tests at MEPS you can take the flant. Check the waiver guide for full details.

skrueger

Yeah I failed twice at Meps. Went to civilian eye doctor and passed the stereofly test. Had a full copy of my results from my doctor sent to Navy medical. I though for sure I was out for SNA but came back approved for all positions. First time I have even heard of them approving it just by a civilian doctors word. Just make sure you get as much paperwork you can from your eye doctor and send it in.