• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

vision requirement for SNA confirmed

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a question about NFO standards. I looked at the NAMI website and it says for class II people you can't be worse than -8.00 diopters and 20/400. My left eye is -5.00 and my right is -4.25, but I know my vision's worse than 20/400. Given this, would I need surgery even for NFO? I'm kind of confused. I'm a 3/c midshipman now and I figure if I'm going to need the surgery I want to do it soon.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CommodoreMid said:
I have a question about NFO standards. I looked at the NAMI website and it says for class II people you can't be worse than -8.00 diopters and 20/400. My left eye is -5.00 and my right is -4.25, but I know my vision's worse than 20/400. Given this, would I need surgery even for NFO? I'm kind of confused. I'm a 3/c midshipman now and I figure if I'm going to need the surgery I want to do it soon.
WOW. Probably way to complex and technical for anyone on AW. I'd have one of your NSIs call down to NAMI for you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sanders said:
I talked to an officer the other day and according to him you can have up to 20/400 and use contacts and get SNA. I am pretty sure hes wrong but then I saw this post.
Is there anyway the vision req's have become less stringent? I am applying for nrotc if that makes a difference. Thanks
NAMI has decided that contacts may be worn by pilots. That is a change as of several months ago. The Marines have apparently begun to take OCS applicants that meet this requirement. The local USMC OSO confimrmed that he got a memo authorizing him to take guys under this waiver, but said he has not and knows of no candidate accepted under these provisions. The Navy has not changed its position on eye sight for SNA for OCS applicants. It remains as stated above in this thread. I will be going into the office later this week and will see if there has been any changes since my last duty there.

macattack

I think I know the answer to this question, since they probably have their own department for this and/or their rules could supersede the Navy's-but since the Coasties get winged by the Navy program, would any potential waivers apply to them since a Coastie in flight school would also be an SNA?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
macattack said:
I think I know the answer to this question, since they probably have their own department for this and/or their rules could supersede the Navy's-but since the Coasties get winged by the Navy program, would any potential waivers apply to them since a Coastie in flight school would also be an SNA?
I simply don't know if the USCG uses NAMI as their source or executive agent on aeromedical issues. If they do, then the contact thing may apply to them. The USMC can set any rule they want up to what NAMI allows. NAMI sets the absolute limit strictly regarding the aeromedical issues. Navy Recruiting Command has chosen not to grant waivers for contacts to OCS applicants for their own reasons. NAMI does not tell CRUITCOM what to do. As far as I know the eye sight requirement for NAVY SNA is still 20/40 with waivers for PRK. If that has changed in the last few weeks I will find out on Friday when I go into the office.

Feliks

Dont judge me new guy - oh wait...
Any new info on this topic? Im currently looking into getting a SNA slot and dont want to waste my time if I should be going the PRK route.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Feliks said:
Any new info on this topic? Im currently looking into getting a SNA slot and dont want to waste my time if I should be going the PRK route.
Maybe!! I'm trying to get a real good read on what will fly at CNRC. What NAMI says really doesn't matter. CNRC does the final selection. When I get some word from the program manager or a board memeber, I'll let ya know. I am curios as to what your recruiter is putting out.

OohRahUSMCF18

I am planning on signing up for Marine PLC by March 31, 2006. My vision is around 20/200 and I just got soft contacts at the beginning of February. I hope to get the air contract for a pilot slot. However, since I need to show 6 months of problem free ware for my contacts in order to get the waver, my OSO said that I could sign up as a ground officer and then come November we could just switch my contract over to the air contract. What do you guys think of that? Can it be done that way?

Also here is the link for the soft contact lens waver.
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm#contact

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
OohRahUSMCF18 said:
I am planning on signing up for Marine PLC by March 31, 2006. My vision is around 20/200 and I just got soft contacts at the beginning of February. I hope to get the air contract for a pilot slot. However, since I need to show 6 months of problem free ware for my contacts in order to get the waver, my OSO said that I could sign up as a ground officer and then come November we could just switch my contract over to the air contract. What do you guys think of that? Can it be done that way?

Also here is the link for the soft contact lens waver.
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm#contact

Back before the contact lense waiver came to be, I was having a real hard time getting the money together for PRK. My OSO suggested the same thing. He basically explained it too me as being a painfree process involving just a little bit of paperwork. I never did it because I went the contacts route about 7 months ago., but I do know PLC ground guys waiting to switch. However, I think I will wait and let your question be answered by someone with more experience with PLC and OSO's.

Good luck!

Wankertank

Free Hat!
CommodoreMid said:

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/doem/vision/Navy/AviationVisionStandardsJan06.pdf
According to vision standards here there is no limit on the DVA (20/20) portion of vision standards for NFO's as long as it corrects to 20/20. However your refractive limits must be +/- 8.00 diopters, and - 3.00 diopters of astigmatism. You seem to be OK for refractive error, but you need to check your perscription to see if you have an astigmatism. It will normally be the number in a box labeled CYL on a normal eye prescription.

Feliks

Dont judge me new guy - oh wait...
Blakeness- did you get an air contract before you went to PLC using the soft contact program?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Feliks said:
Blakeness- did you get an air contract before you went to PLC using the soft contact program?

No im actually still an applicant. My application will be done and submitted within the next month.

I got SCLs back in July shortly after reading about the new SCL policy and having a discussion about it with my OSO

Saladmander

I'm not sure exactly what my vision is. I know the correction is very small, but I can't remember if its 20/35 or 20/100. Regular-sighted people who look through my glasses don't think they actually do anything, unlike most glasses which will blur everything.

I'm planning on doing 10-week Marine PLC-air next summer. I'm really confused with all the vision stuff, and I don't think my OSO knows much about it either. Here are a few questions.

So lets assume my vision is 20/35, better thab 20/40. Does this mean I am qualified for SNA without any bull****? Or is it that if you aren't 20/20 you need a waiver? Or... would I need to get surgery/contacts to 20/20 at which point I'd be approved, but would need a waiver cuz I'd had surgery or whatever. I'm confused as to whether the 20/40 limit is for before-you-get-it-fixed-to-20/20 or if its if-you're-20/40-you-can-fly.

Assuming 20/100 vision... If I get PRK this summer, would I then be eligible for SNA, despite initially being over 20/40? would I need a waiver?

Do people with less than 20/20 natural vision get jet slots? or do all the PRK'd/contacts people get shuffled off into different aircraft?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Saladmander said:
So lets assume my vision is 20/35, better thab 20/40. Does this mean I am qualified for SNA without any bull****? Or is it that if you aren't 20/20 you need a waiver? Or... would I need to get surgery/contacts to 20/20 at which point I'd be approved, but would need a waiver cuz I'd had surgery or whatever. I'm confused as to whether the 20/40 limit is for before-you-get-it-fixed-to-20/20 or if its if-you're-20/40-you-can-fly.

Assuming 20/100 vision... If I get PRK this summer, would I then be eligible for SNA, despite initially being over 20/40? would I need a waiver?

Do people with less than 20/20 natural vision get jet slots? or do all the PRK'd/contacts people get shuffled off into different aircraft?

If your vision is 20/40 or better uncorrected and is capable of being corrected to 20/20 then you don't need a waiver. I believe it is disqualifying if you cannot correct to 20/20 regardless of how good it is uncorrected. If you get PRK and you then become 20/20 or better, then it doesn't matter that you were initially 20/40, 20/100 or whatever. Your new uncorrected vision is 20/20 so you would be eligible for SNA. Don't know about the jet slots because I haven't been there, but I don't think that it has any bearing on it.

Wankertank

Free Hat!
Slammer2 said:
If you get PRK and you then become 20/20 or better, then it doesn't matter that you were initially 20/40, 20/100 or whatever.

You must meet pre-op PRK limits in order for your waiver to be eligible. - 8.00 to + 3.00 total diopters sphere with no more than 3.00 diopters of cylinder nor 3.50 diopters anisometropia.