• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

vision requirement for SNA confirmed

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This issue was delt with in some detail in another forum but I feel it needs widest dissemination.

There was a question about whether there was a new far more relaxed vision requirement obtained via waiver for pilot. A NAMI web site suggested a change to the 20/40 standard. Without going into the details of the new wavier let me make clear that there has been no change to the vision requirements for pilot. There are no new waiver provisions.

The change detailed in the NAMI website is for commssioned officers looking to redesignate to 131X, and to a lesser extent current 131Xs with failing vision. No civilian, or Midshipman, will get orders to pilot training with less than 20/40 vision. This is straight from the NAMI opthamologist. Best gouge available.

Jeff29

Science Project
One of the flight surgeons here in Meridian recently spoke to NAMI about this issue and was told that it applied to all SNA accessions. The reason for the policy change is that many people are getting PRK too young and having problems as they get older. NAMI would rather deal with contact lenses than degrading post-PRK eyesight. Just passing on what I was told.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lets not start something. To be precise, the change on the NAMI site was that contacts are now authorized for pilot. Used to be glasses only. There will be NO waivers to anything beyond the current 20/40 limit for civilian accessions, read going to OCS for SNA. The Doc jeff spoke to may have ment it could apply to all accessions. But he does not write the Program Authorization for OCS commissioning programs. Navy Recruiting Command will not currently grant a waiver for over 20/40. Think about it. If guys are having trouble with some vision degredation because they got PRK too early, why would the Navy take someone off the street that is already at, say, 20/80 and watch him get worse fast? What has happened to some PRK guys is an argument for taking guys with 20/20 so they have further to degrade before it becomes a PQ issue. The higher visual acuity limit has always been there and no one got waivers for something like 20/100 for pilot through OCS. The real change is the ability to wear contacts as a pilot.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink said:
Lets not start something. To be precise, the change on the NAMI site was that contacts are now authorized for pilot. Used to be glasses only. There will be NO waivers to anything beyond the current 20/40 limit for civlian accessions, read going to OCS for SNA. The Doc jeff spoke to may have ment it could apply to all accessions. But he does not write the Program Authorization for OCS commissioning programs. Navy Recruiting Command will not currently grant a waiver for over 20/40. Think about it. If guys are having trouble with some vision degredation because they got PRK too earily, why would the Navy take someone off the street that is already at, say, 20/80 and watch him get worse fast? What has happened to some PRK guys is an argument for taking guys with 20/20 so they have further to degrade before it becomes a PQ issue. The higher visual acuity limit has always been there and no one got waivers for something like 20/100 for pilot through OCS. The real change is the ability to wear contacts as a pilot.
Jesus Christ, people! How many times does the man have to spell it out for you? Read & Heed!

Brett

Jeff29

Science Project
Brett327 said:
Jesus Christ, people! How many times does the man have to spell it out for you? Read & Heed!
Brett
Hey, I'm just telling you what was told to me. I specifically asked who it applied to and was told that it applied to everyone, including civilians off the street. Obviously Wink has some experience with recruiting and he talked to someone at NAMI. My flight doc also talked to someone at NAMI and got different information. Over the last few months he has had a lot of contact with the both the head of NAMI and the head eye doctor at NAMI (I know because the contact is about me). I don't know which one gave him the info, but I would consider either as a pretty reliable source.

I'm not trying to make something out of nothing, but I'd hate for someone to make a career decision based on imcomplete information, and end up in a situation like me. Trust me, if you can get into the program without getting PRK, it's a no-brainer. I'll ask my flight doc for more details, but at this point, I really have no reason to doubt him.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jeff29 said:
Trust me, if you can get into the program without getting PRK, it's a no-brainer. I'll ask my flight doc for more details, but at this point, I really have no reason to doubt him.

BTW, what happened with your surgery?

Brett

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Why prior to application? What if you are selected, and get contacts and then by the time you get done with OCS and TBS (much longer than six months) your vision has decreased. Are you screwed then? Also, how the heck do you prove that you were wearing soft contacts for six months or more?

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I dont mean to jump in and throw pushes here, and I do respect Wink's experience, but I will say that my OSO spoke to NAMI directly for clarification on this when he first got the info and was also told that it would apply to everyone.

Not saying his word is necessarily the right word or anything, but I definately think there seems to be some conflicting gouge going around.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
theblakeness said:
I dont mean to jump in and throw pushes here, and I do respect Wink's experience, but I will say that my OSO spoke to NAMI directly for clarification on this when he first got the info and was also told that it would apply to everyone.

Not saying his word is necessarily the right word or anything, but I definately think there seems to be some conflicting gouge going around.

I made the offer in another thread to come and personally enlist the first guy that gets a waiver under this Instruction for OCS from civilian status. I will even buy you a beer!! I just don't see it happening. Any takers? Has anyone even applied for pilot with something like 20/200?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
My buddy got an SNA up-chit with NOMI Approval with 20/300 vision he is a confirmed soft-lense contact wearer with 6+ months of proven use. That is the new reg like I have said before. I spoke to the optometrist who was tasked with writing the new policy...it says 20/400.
Did your buddy apply to OCS/pilot as a civlian through a NRD with 20/300 vision and get pick up for SNA with a class date? Different story for commissioned guys. And then, the only change was the soft contact approval. Read the start of this thread. Do not mix apples and oranges. Don't tell civilian wannabes with 20/100 they can get a waiver for pilot. NAMI Doc do not select pilots for OCS, the Navy Recruyiting Command does. I have document from CNRC (the guys that actually select pilots for OCS) dated 11JUL05 that says SNA vision requirement 20/40 correctable to 20/20, PRK waiver possible.

thebrown88

I'll tell ya in a few weeks, I'm finishing up my rough app. and mailing it in this week for fall OCC or next summer OCC. My OSO is under the impression that this is a valid waiver even thought I question it every time I call. Im am at least 20/200 and have worn contacts since high school. In a week I have scheduled a civilian eye exam to give me an idea of where I'm at before the flight phys. As of right now I work full time so I dont have a date for the flight phys.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Believe me when I say I'm pull'in for ya brown. But my position on this waiver talk is clear and firm. If you get lucky, just give me enough notice of your enlistment date so I can get the day off to fly out and buy ya a beer and enlist you if you want. I'll make good on my offer. What part of the country will I be jetting off to?

thebrown88

Wink, even though I hope your wrong, I still respect your knowledge and experience. One of the main reasons I took my current job was to pay for PRK, so I have nothing to loose trying this out to see if it works. If they tell me no, I'll find a way, whatever it may be. I live in NC but unfortunatly I dont drink. But your more than welcome to come enlist me.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you mean have I had to launch as the alert enlistment officer and buy anyone a beer, the answer is NO.