• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Virginia Beach

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Or go land at first flight for some serious aviation history. They didn't let you land H-60s there but you could do a low approach and then circle the monument.
You could hit the grass field at 42VA and visit the Military Aviation Museum and the Fighter Factory next door.

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
I just left the area literally last week, but myself and my RV-6 based at Hampton Roads for the last four and a half years. You definitely want to fly in to KPVG - KORF is stupid expensive for everything, KCPK is snooty, and KPHF has absolutely nothing going on (and is expensive) - and as other have stated First Flight and Ocracoke are awesome day trip destinations. Watch the winds when landing at First Flight because the AWOS station is located above the tree line and often calls winds significantly different from the actual landing conditions; when you break through the tree line and line up that’s when things simmer down. Also the runway is narrow and somewhat short, but nothing a 172 cannot handle!

Not sure which direction you are arriving into the area from, but Smith Mountain Lake (south of Roanoke) has an awesome B&B right on the airfield that is very reasonably priced. To the north Richmond Executive has a great restaurant (call to check hours) and there are several airports in Maryland that have great food as well. Cambridge MD (try the fresh-made cinnamons rolls!) and Delaware Coastal airport are always good spots.

Oh and you cannot land on the grass runway at Pungo/ Fighter Factory without prior permission (which I’ve seen granted once in 4.5 years), but as a ‘local’ I used to unofficially buzz the tower almost anytime I flew through the area.. Also check in with Oceana Approach on 123.9, but so long as R-6606 is cold you can approach from the west, go feet wet and fly the beach line north along the oceanfront and turn at Cape Henry, then fly west to NS Norfolk, and finally south through downtown and back to Hampton Roads airport.

Some tangentially-related videos:

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Ahhh...I was thinking of the old navy OLF.

As in Fentress? A lot of its neighbors wish it were "old", as in "not currently in heavy around-the-clock use 24/7/365" :)

Actually, now that I think of it, it's impressive in this day and age of social media that the people who hate jet noise at Fentress haven't somehow joined forces with the people who hate jet noise at Coupeville. They'd have so much in common, it's kind of sad for them.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As in Fentress? A lot of its neighbors wish it were "old", as in "not currently in heavy around-the-clock use 24/7/365" :)

Actually, now that I think of it, it's impressive in this day and age of social media that the people who hate jet noise at Fentress haven't somehow joined forces with the people who hate jet noise at Coupeville. They'd have so much in common, it's kind of sad for them.
I think he meant the old Pungo NOLF. http://www.airfields-freeman.com/VA/Airfields_VA_VirginiaBeach.htm

skybert

Skybert
I just left the area literally last week, but myself and my RV-6 based at Hampton Roads for the last four and a half years. You definitely want to fly in to KPVG - KORF is stupid expensive for everything, KCPK is snooty, and KPHF has absolutely nothing going on (and is expensive) - and as other have stated First Flight and Ocracoke are awesome day trip destinations. Watch the winds when landing at First Flight because the AWOS station is located above the tree line and often calls winds significantly different from the actual landing conditions; when you break through the tree line and line up that’s when things simmer down. Also the runway is narrow and somewhat short, but nothing a 172 cannot handle!

Not sure which direction you are arriving into the area from, but Smith Mountain Lake (south of Roanoke) has an awesome B&B right on the airfield that is very reasonably priced. To the north Richmond Executive has a great restaurant (call to check hours) and there are several airports in Maryland that have great food as well. Cambridge MD (try the fresh-made cinnamons rolls!) and Delaware Coastal airport are always good spots.

Oh and you cannot land on the grass runway at Pungo/ Fighter Factory without prior permission (which I’ve seen granted once in 4.5 years), but as a ‘local’ I used to unofficially buzz the tower almost anytime I flew through the area.. Also check in with Oceana Approach on 123.9, but so long as R-6606 is cold you can approach from the west, go feet wet and fly the beach line north along the oceanfront and turn at Cape Henry, then fly west to NS Norfolk, and finally south through downtown and back to Hampton Roads airport.

Some tangentially-related videos:

So far, I’ve had no luck getting a rental car setup at PVG, I do have one at PHF. If I can get something setup, I’ll change it.

flying in from Michigan so northwest. Mama bear is cool with 5+ and a fuel stop but once we get there, the plane is parked and we’re ground pounders.

Moms cousin was a career Marine, viet nam phrog driver and lives there so night one is dinner of his choice and enjoying stories....

taxi1

pilot
If going in to KPHF, one of my favorite museums anywhere in the USA is the Mariners Museum in Newport News, not far from the airport. It has the Monitor there along with lots of other cool stuff. Beautiful grounds too.

Fun story about KPVG. Back before it grew up and when it was just a narrow strip of asphalt with minimal anything.

A couple of guys from the Hawkeye RAG in an E2 (or maybe C2) were single-legging it from San Diego back to Norfolk, which is at the edge of the plane’s range and requires some friendly winds. They kept computing the numbers and watching the race of the fuel gauge versus INS range to go to see which one hit zero first...and made the call to plop it into KPVG about 20 miles short of home plate. They were that close. I think it FODed the runway until they could get a start cart and a fuel truck out to it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If going in to KPHF, one of my favorite museums anywhere in the USA is the Mariners Museum in Newport News, not far from the airport. It has the Monitor there along with lots of other cool stuff. Beautiful grounds too.

Fun story about KPVG. Back before it grew up and when it was just a narrow strip of asphalt with minimal anything.

A couple of guys from the Hawkeye RAG in an E2 (or maybe C2) were single-legging it from San Diego back to Norfolk, which is at the edge of the plane’s range and requires some friendly winds. They kept computing the numbers and watching the race of the fuel gauge versus INS range to go to see which one hit zero first...and made the call to plop it into KPVG about 20 miles short of home plate. They were that close. I think it FODed the runway until they could get a start cart and a fuel truck out to it.
Second the Mariners Museum.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I spent high school living in Yorktown and later went to CNU. The Yorktown Battlefields are a pretty cool place. And it's worth it to take the drive along the Colonial Parkway from Yorktown to Williamsburg on a nice day. Williamsburg has better food/beer than Yorktown by far.

The Mariner's Museum is as legit as the Military Aviation Museum. It's definitely worth it. The MAM puts on the best fireworks shows I've seen- and their events like the Flying Proms are awesome. Jerry Yagen really does know how to produce a show. I've got a couple of friends who fly their airplanes. Most of them are old Naval Aviatiors. Some are young(ish).

jmcquate

Contributor
Jerry Yagen really does know how to produce a show. I've got a couple of friends who fly their airplanes. Most of them are old Naval Aviatiors. Some are young(ish).
He's got a working 88 and a JU-52 with Wehrmacht (guys in German uniforms) paratroopers jumping out of it.