• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Virginia Beach

skybert

Skybert
Ok, I was at Oceana in 1980..... wife and I are thinking about flying the mighty 172 down next month for a few days.

What airport do I want to go to and what do we need to see?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
PVG is a pretty good combination of cost for flying into and ground transportation (I'm guessing you'll probably get a rental car through the FBO), but it's a longish drive through the tunnel to get to Norfolk-Virginia Beach.

ORF is in the middle of a lot of things while being close to almost nothing. It's probably worth comparing airplane tie down and rental car costs between that and Exec, just taxi/Ubering around from the FBO to wherever you're going, or seeing if your hotel won't just send their shuttle to the FBO and pick you up there (and cabbing it everywhere from the hotel).

In addition to the battleship and any bases you might be trying to visit for old time's sake, the Military Aviation Museum in southern Virginia Beach is a real treasure. There's all the normal big city touristy stuff too like a zoo and various museums, if any of those kinds of attractions are your thing.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
A little further away than ORF, but less hectic, there is KJGG - Williamsburg-Jamestown - that is quite friendly and could also get you a rental.

RoarkJr.

Busch Gardens is a pretty good theme park in Williamsburg. I recommend the oceanfront to see the memorials/beach, there’s also the Edgar Cayce center of you’re into that. Mount Trashmore is in VB as well, pretty neat to see and it’s close to the VB town center which has a new indoor entertainment plex. Also good food.

Jim123

pilot
and wild ponies.
the-wyld-stallyns-logo.png

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys are talking about rental cars like they are as common as face masks at a Young Democrats meeting. Have you tried to get one recently? And if you can, the price? I just drove 800 miles rather than non rev and deal with a rental car at destination. Well, there was also wearing a mask at the airport and enroute vs maskless rocking to my own window pulsating tunes, snacking on junk food and stopping whenever I wanted to explore.

taxi1

pilot
Mount Trashmore is in VB as well, pretty neat to see
I grew up in VA Beach and lived near Mt Trashmore back when it was still a dump. When they covered it with dirt they had the soapbox derby track up there, and we used to take our skateboards and bomb it top to bottom. Hello speed wobbles. We’d camp out at a friends house and then go prowling around there at night. Right near it was a drive-in theatre that showed skin flicks, so we’d sneak in there too.

Playing in a little league game nearby, we all looked up and there were two chutes coming down just near our ball field. Two guys had jumped out of A6 somewhere. Ops normal living near an airbase.

RoarkJr.

I grew up in VA Beach and lived near Mt Trashmore back when it was still a dump. When they covered it with dirt they had the soapbox derby track up there, and we used to take our skateboards and bomb it top to bottom. Hello speed wobbles. We’d camp out at a friends house and then go prowling around there at night. Right near it was a drive-in theatre that showed skin flicks, so we’d sneak in there too.

Playing in a little league game nearby, we all looked up and there were two chutes coming down just near our ball field. Two guys had jumped out of A6 somewhere. Ops normal living near an airbase.
I grew up in Newport News, skated all over the Hampton Roads area as a young hellion. Pretty cool to have a mix of different cultures around. That’s why I like VB and PCola.

Jim123

pilot
I grew up in VA Beach and lived near Mt Trashmore back when it was still a dump. When they covered it with dirt they had the soapbox derby track up there, and we used to take our skateboards and bomb it top to bottom.
Pretty sure the City of Virginia Beach banned tobogganing there several years ago. Too dangerous and because... the Karens took over Va Beach before the term "Karen" was a thing in pop culture :rolleyes:

(Same city that uses crossing guards to hold up traffic so the school buses can leave the school parking lot without having to wait for a green light.)

taxi1

pilot
I grew up in Newport News, skated all over the Hampton Roads area as a young hellion.
In the early days Mt Trashmore had this terrain park on the smaller hill that was made out of asphalt and got warped in the hot sun of the summer while disintegrating into gravel at the bottom of the pipe. We rode that thing hard. :)