• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Virginia Beach

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
If going in to KPHF, one of my favorite museums anywhere in the USA is the Mariners Museum in Newport News, not far from the airport. It has the Monitor there along with lots of other cool stuff. Beautiful grounds too.

Fun story about KPVG. Back before it grew up and when it was just a narrow strip of asphalt with minimal anything.

A couple of guys from the Hawkeye RAG in an E2 (or maybe C2) were single-legging it from San Diego back to Norfolk, which is at the edge of the plane’s range and requires some friendly winds. They kept computing the numbers and watching the race of the fuel gauge versus INS range to go to see which one hit zero first...and made the call to plop it into KPVG about 20 miles short of home plate. They were that close. I think it FODed the runway until they could get a start cart and a fuel truck out to it.

A single leg! The biggest play I have made is from Dallas to Norfolk in one leg with a zero tailwind.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If going in to KPHF, one of my favorite museums anywhere in the USA is the Mariners Museum in Newport News, not far from the airport. It has the Monitor there along with lots of other cool stuff. Beautiful grounds too.

Fun story about KPVG. Back before it grew up and when it was just a narrow strip of asphalt with minimal anything.

A couple of guys from the Hawkeye RAG in an E2 (or maybe C2) were single-legging it from San Diego back to Norfolk, which is at the edge of the plane’s range and requires some friendly winds. They kept computing the numbers and watching the race of the fuel gauge versus INS range to go to see which one hit zero first...and made the call to plop it into KPVG about 20 miles short of home plate. They were that close. I think it FODed the runway until they could get a start cart and a fuel truck out to it.
A little more on the Mariners Museum:
The monitor and merrimac exhibits are great but I'd go just to see the amazing and giant Bellamy eagle they have.

taxi1

pilot
A single leg! The biggest play I have made is from Dallas to Norfolk in one leg with a zero tailwind.
I did it back from Miramar one time, before these guys had their moment. Raging jet stream at altitude, it was an easy make, surprisingly.

On the way out we had stopped at Scott AFB and were standing by the bird when the grizzled civilian fuels dude walks up and says, “There’s a flying saucer fucking your airplane.”

Sigh...”yes, we know.”

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
I did it back from Miramar one time, before these guys had their moment. Raging jet stream at altitude, it was an easy make, surprisingly.

On the way out we had stopped at Scott AFB and were standing by the bird when the grizzled civilian fuels dude walks up and says, “There’s a flying saucer fucking your airplane.”

Sigh...”yes, we know.”

I assuming that was a Charlie? The Delta fuel burn is not really helpful, we are 2 legs guaranteed now it seems like.

taxi1

pilot
I assuming that was a Charlie? The Delta fuel burn is not really helpful, we are 2 legs guaranteed now it seems like.
Yup, back in 1988 or thereabouts.

I was a RAG student, along with another student pilot type and an instructor. Our instructor years forward became one of the few E2 pilots to get a CAG job...and got relieved. Never found out why.