• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Video of Chinese J-15 carrier ops...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
One old... er, mature gent here, OinC USS MIDWAY "COD Squad" (C-1A) in '71-'72. Yes. I estimate 1/3 of our departures were angled-deck launches (usually required on a post-recovery launch). In low/calm wind, high temp conditions, deck launches were often delayed/CX., as MIDWAY was stripped of her (1) waist catapult during her '66-'70 'big deck' conversion.

Another problem the ChiComs would face with C-1A CODs, is they would have to dedicate certain ships "Grape" tanks to supply recip. fuel (115/145) if prop models. This was a major problem for our C-1A, as all MIDWAY's gas tanks had been converted to JP only during the conversion. As a result, our COD was based at Danang, and could not be refueled aboard (required very precise preflight/flight planning/fuel management), but also provided many fun RONs at FASU Danang's legendary "Red Dog Saloon"! Catmando, remember?:eek:

Most airworthy C-1/S-2s flying today, have been converted to Garrett TPE-331 Turboprops, which I believe would be more than sufficient to make safe ski-jump launches for our Chinese 'Compadres'.:)
View attachment 11702
*"SchoolBoy 700, MIDWAY's C-1A Trader
BzB
1. Yes, I observed many of your COD deck launches, figuring each time that despite the beautiful howling and straining of your 1820s and the excessive Wind over Deck that you would still likely pancake into the South China Sea, if lucky. I also had to ride some of those deck launches - backwards - and hated it. Give me a night cat shot any day instead of that... even if to the beach and legal beer.

2. Yes I was fortunate to have many a legal beer at the notorious Red Dog Saloon in Da Nang (in between VC rocket attacks). But I also was probably the only guy to ever get kicked out of the Saloon, a story I will have to save for later.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot

Wow, that other harrier is close! Do you guys have anything like an Avionics Hot caution that goes off in those situations (if your are the second aircraft)? Are you on OBOGS at that point, and if so are you breathing good air with all that exhaust comming at you?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Wow, that other harrier is close! Do you guys have anything like an Avionics Hot caution that goes off in those situations (if your are the second aircraft)? Are you on OBOGS at that point, and if so are you breathing good air with all that exhaust comming at you?

It's 50 feet away, nosewheel to nosewheel. I've never gotten any Avi or OBOGS issues from the heat or exhaust, which is what cracked me up about the OBOGS issues in the Hornet that are supposedly caused by exhaust fumes at the catapult. Doesn't stand to reason after seeing what our OBOGS handles, and they're made by the same manufacturer.

The only part that really sucks is that the canopy seal isn't pressurized yet, and the canopy rattles like hell and the whole jet feels like its coming apart, especially when you are fourth in line.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The only part that really sucks is that the canopy seal isn't pressurized yet, and the canopy rattles like hell and the whole jet feels like its coming apart, especially when you are fourth in line.

The canopy seal doesn't pressurize when you close it? Does it have something to do with the sliding action of the canopy?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The canopy seal doesn't pressurize when you close it? Does it have something to do with the sliding action of the canopy?

If the canopy seal is inflated, you can't physically open the canopy. It's controlled by weight on wheels. When you feel the pressure after takeoff, you know that you can raise the gear.

It's been so long since I've flown anything else (besides the C-12 and F-5), I can't remember how other systems do it, but I seem to recall that they also don't pressurize until airborne.

Do the Hornet/Prowler/Goshawk pressurize on deck?

Renegade One

None
I also was probably the only guy to ever get kicked out of the Saloon, a story I will have to save for later.
May be worthy of an independent thread, e.g., "Best Bars I've Ever Been Kicked Out Of"...but you can't just leave us hanging.

My own chapter would be titled "Free The Cubi Seven!" (1973).

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
May be worthy of an independent thread, e.g., "Best Bars I've Ever Been Kicked Out Of"...but you can't just leave us hanging....

My own story would be titled "Free The Cubi Seven!" (1973).
Your slighter wish...etc. See War Zone.
Yes I was fortunate to have many a legal beer at the notorious Red Dog Saloon in Da Nang (in between VC rocket attacks). But I also was probably the only guy to ever get kicked out of the Saloon, a story I will have to save for later.
I can't imagine anyone getting the boot from the 'RDS', except maybe Red Dog himself! Your tale must be a doozy... ;)
Danang2.jpg
*FASU CO "Red Dog", Red Cross Rep., & BzB in RDS, Danang '72.
Dude in background, wayward F8-1P Driver RON.
BzB

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah legacy hornet seals when the canopy comes down too. And no, i seriously doubt it could do a deck run. Maybe using the whole length of the boat, with minimum fuel, staging the blowers with chinese style wheel chocks in place. It is not an especially sprightly jet before you clean up and get above 300 kts.