• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Video of Chinese J-15 carrier ops...

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
For those of you more knowledgeable than me: Does this weight issue also mean that they'd be limited for future COD options, or is an empty small C-2ish aircraft about the same weight as a loaded up flanker?

A loaded up Flanker would weigh quite a bit more than a C-2, but it's more an issue of thrust (and the acceleration it gives you) than weight.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There might be one or two older gents here who could tell us if the C-1 ever did deck run takeoffs but unless the PLAN buys some old 'Traders' I think they are stuck with helos unless Brazil sells them KC-2 Turbo Traders, and at least the Brazilians have a carrier with catapults
One old... er, mature gent here, OinC USS MIDWAY "COD Squad" (C-1A) in '71-'72. Yes. I estimate 1/3 of our departures were angled-deck launches (usually required on a post-recovery launch). In low/calm wind, high temp conditions, deck launches were often delayed/CX., as MIDWAY was stripped of her (1) waist catapult during her '66-'70 'big deck' conversion.

Another problem the ChiComs would face with C-1A CODs, is they would have to dedicate certain ships "Grape" tanks to supply recip. fuel (115/145) if prop models. This was a major problem for our C-1A, as all MIDWAY's gas tanks had been converted to JP only during the conversion. As a result, our COD was based at Danang, and could not be refueled aboard (required very precise preflight/flight planning/fuel management), but also provided many fun RONs at FASU Danang's legendary "Red Dog Saloon"! Catmando, remember?:eek:

Most airworthy C-1/S-2s flying today, have been converted to Garrett TPE-331 Turboprops, which I believe would be more than sufficient to make safe ski-jump launches for our Chinese 'Compadres'.:)
C1A 700.JPG
*"SchoolBoy 700, MIDWAY's C-1A Trader
BzB

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Anyone see anything looking like barricade stanchions? I looked, but didn't see.
Would you need one if you always have a divert?

As a point of reference, the newest of the new USN flat tops were drawn up (or were going to be drawn up) with no barricade provisions. This decision was made, largely in part, because it has been a VERY long time since we barricaded an aircraft... This is obviously foolish logic and was corrected early in the process.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I did as well.

And even down to the shooter crouch. That signal (touching deck and pointing forward) means "fire the goddamn catapult." Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

It's like your neighbor telling you he is getting the same SUV as you, but he also buys the same outfit and haircut you had yesterday, too.

You want to think you are reading too far into it, but you're not.