• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vid F-16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, most of you know I would not waste two minutes on the US Air Force, let alone the time required to find the answer to the following question. Since I have all the resources of Air Warriors members at my finger tips I'll ask you guys.

I am holding short in my shiney MD80 at Tucson Intl yesterday when the AZ ANG roars into the break and lands before my eyes. In the four ship are the ondirnary F-16s with the AZ ANG logo on the tail. There are also a couple odd aircraft. They looked like F-16s but very different. To begin with, it looked like Kuwaiti flags on the tail (the AZ ANG does lots of foreign mil training) and it looked much more beefy. Kind of a squarish aft fuselage and large ventral box forward of the vertical stab. I'm thinking maybe overwing conformal fuel tanks and who knows what else. What version of F-16 did I see? What is its capabilities? Is it ours or theirs? (easy on the capabilites if it is ours, opsec don't ya know) Guy I was flying with had lots of F-16 time years ago and didn't recognize it.

Standing by...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Kuwait flag: .....
kuwaitflag3hm.gif
UAE Flag: .....
uaeflag2ba.gif

UAE flies , and I quote from Sanders, a Lockheed-Martin "operating" company: a version of the F-16 which is named the Desert Falcon, will incorporate advanced capabilities. Its equipment package consists of conformal fuel tanks for extended range, new cockpit displays, a new internal sensor, a new mission computer, and other advanced features.

What do you think??? And when has an MD-80 ever been "shiny" (sic) ???

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
F-16CFT-hellenic.jpg

Israel, Greece, and the UAE use the block 50, 52, and 60 -16s with the conformal fuel tanks... probably one of those

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
BTW ... the only Kuwaiti pilot shot down while operating post-invasion with the Saudis in the Gulf War (one) was at one time a Stud of mine .... can't find his picture anywhere --- it was on TV when he got shot down.

He was a real party animal when away from the madrassas and always had a big roll of cash --- not a great Stud in the a/c, however ..... :)

freekuwt6dt.jpg

DairyCreamer

Wink,

This pic: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/820920/L/
as posted on Airliners.net just in April, and there are a couple more on there too. It's taken at TUS.

Looks like this UAE F-16F with those conformal tanks is just what you saw.

~Nate

PS - How on earth do you put a pic here in the posts? The "Add image" button sure doesn't seem useful for that... unless I suck. That might be the case too.

JT Eagle

A4s- would this be your man? Was he released at the end of the war?

JT

Attachments

• Mubarak-Kuwait-A-4KU032.gif
    Mubarak-Kuwait-A-4KU032.gif
    75.8 KB · Views: 79

Scab

pilot
Doin an exchange tour with the AF here in Davis Monthan (tucson). Not sure who is flying the F-16's (I'm on the other side of the freeway),bBut I've heard a lot of foreign accents comin from the wipers. I'll ask around tomorrow.

scab

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
JT Eagle said:
A4s- would this be your man? Was he released at the end of the war?

JT
I don't think so --- this guy looks too young (but when was this picture taken?). My Stud had a "fuller", "rounder" face --- and of course, he had the de rigueur "dark features" and moustache --- he was a member of the al-Sabah family and had a $25,000 Rolex. My guy was released at the end of the war .....

(edit) Who's this guy .... ??? When was this pix taken ??? The last time I saw "my" guy was after capture on Baghdad TV and they had beat the living sh!t out of him ... one eye closed and he did not look too smooth ....

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
BTW ... the only Kuwaiti pilot shot down while operating post-invasion with the Saudis in the Gulf War (one) was at one time a Stud of mine ....

Doesn't say too much for his instructor does it? :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And when has an MD-80 ever been "shiny" (sic) ???

A polished one just out of D check.

You guys are good. Knew I came to the right place. Pretty sure now it was a UAE flag. And you guys got the right photos too. So it was a Block 50-52 or 60. Now I have something on the zoomie Viper driver next time we fly togather. (The only real reason I even cared.) He didn't even think they were F-16s. Maybe he better take another look at his hero photos of his former ride.

Thanks again.

JT Eagle

The guy in my pic (US DoD, taken I guess during a media interview during Desert Shield) is Col Mohammed Sultan Mubarak, the CO of the KAF A-4 squadron. It was definitely him who was shot down, by a radar-guided SAM, probably while he was in the act of bombing his own former base in Kuwait. I know he was shown on Iraqi TV while a prisoner but haven't been able to establish when he came home. I don't think he was released at the same time as the other aviator prisoners.

JT

Status
Not open for further replies.