• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vid F-16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
JT Eagle said:
The guy in my pic .......the CO of the KAF A-4 squadron. ..... I don't think he was released at the same time as the other aviator prisoners.
JT

Then that's him .... I would never have recognized him from that DOD pix. I guess the black hair, moustache, shades (not to stereotype :) ) and 15+ years fooled me . I vaguely remember him looking not quite so confident as a Stud, but then who didn't? Being the CO can do wonders for one's self-confidence, I guess.

I seem to remember him being shot down the same day as Scott Speicher? Some of the Kuwaiti A-4's that made it to Saudi were at Dhahran when I started flying the early CRAF flights in there. I think they were flying as an adjunct of the Marines, at least for bombing purposes. My information at the time was he (Mubarak? -- I couldn't remember his name -- we had our own "names" for most foreign students) was released "at the end of the war". I Googled him and it was "too hard" -- too many "Mubaraks" and not enough time. What time frame/when do you have him being released ??? Just curious .... thanks.

JT Eagle

All I could find out a year or so ago when I was researching this topic was that he wasn't released with the others. I know there were Kuwaiti Army prisoners that were NEVER released (well, not up to 2002 or so), but I expect MSM did come back. The FKAF A-4s were doing some interesting stuff in that war I believe. They were maintained by US civilians (probably because the KAF groundcrews were still in Kuwait) and worked with the ground Marines doing stuff like dropping ADSID sensors (and you thought they went out after 'Nam) and there are stories of them scoring kills with cannon and even bombs against Iraqi helos in the first days of the invasion. Anyone who can add facts to these tales is welcome to chip in.

JT

Status
Not open for further replies.