• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vicki's path to flight school (a female perspective)

n/a

Thanks Vicki! I'm surprised that they want us to bring our own blanket. Geez, where's the uniformity if everyone has there own version of a "navy-type" blanket?

Derrill Thompson

Thanks for posting the list vicki.

Here's an interesting question for anyone who has recently attended OCS. At USAF Officer Training School, the students have to pay for their uniforms. They are told to bring or have immediate access to at least $1700. How does this work for USN? Are the uniforms issued? Do they take the money out of your bi-weekly pay?

Similar question. Having been in the Air Force for almost 8 years, I have assembled quite a collection of medals/ribbons. I know the Navy does allow some of them to be worn on the Navy uniform. I have checked the BUPERS website and there seems to be conflicting information in the regs about "other service medals". Anyone with info? Here are the decorations I have for USAF...

AF Training Ribbon
AF Profession Military Education Ribbon
AF Overseas Short Tour Ribbon
AF Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
AF Outstanding Unit (one Device)
AF Good Conduct
AF Longevity
AF Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal

Which of these is authorized...? Do I need the actual order for each of them? Or is an official decoration listing from the Air Force good enough?

SSgt Derrill Thompson

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Derrill, it looks like you can only wear the following ribbons and medals, based off of the Navy's Uniform Regulations http://www.bupers.navy.mil/cdrom/cdrom.html. Download Chapter 5, it should have the ribbons that are allowed somewhere in it: http://www.bupers.navy.mil/cdrom/dev/cd/unireg/CHAPTER5.PDF.

Meritorious Service Medal
AF Achievement Medal
AF Good Conduct Medal
National Defense Service Medal

There is a good online program for display and checking the order of precedence for USN, check it out here:

http://kepler.egr.duke.edu/USNRibbons.html

Ed Williams

I asked my recruiter about how the uniform situation would work. One of the ENS that was recently down at OCS said that you have to pay for all of your uniform equipment, including buckles, shoes, washk hakis, and other things, but that you would be reimbursed towards the end of OCS for the first $2,000 or so. Thats all that i have been told so far. As for the packing list, The Navy Type blanket is a mystery to me. When I was at Army Basic, I bought a camo. poncho liner. Being military equipment, I was wondering if anyone knew if that would be ok, or does the Navy have their own sleep wear?
ed

Derrill Thompson

Ed, you may want to bring some barf bags to OCS with you. I heard they make some people live on the second floor and I know how sensitive you are about altitude.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Ed Williams

Derrill, you are the funniest person I have ever met. God, you crack me up too! You are such an afshoel. haha. You won't think it is so funny when i puke on you. You'll love it.

Ed Williams

Can anyone tell me if there will be a time in the 3 months that we will be able to wear civilian clothes? I'm just trying to get an idea of what to bring, and i'm not sure how often i'll have the opportunity to wear something other that the Navy issue things?
ed

unfUSN

[I don't think so. My rec. told me that even when we are given the chance to go off base we have to wear our uniforms... but then again he could be wong

ATP]
Can anyone tell me if there will be a time in the 3 months that we will be able to wear civilian clothes? I'm just trying to get an idea of what to bring, and i'm not sure how often i'll have the opportunity to wear something other that the Navy issue things?
ed

[/quote]

vicki

You won't wear civilian clothes from when you report until after graduation. They say "bring a minimum of civilian clothes as storage space is limited". Not an issue if you bring your car I guess.

Ed Williams

Went to the Army/Navy surplus store today and saw the closest thing to a Navy-type blanket there for about $30. Saw blankets in navy blue with the navy seal on it or a white blanket with USN embroidered. I think this might be what the gouge packet is talking about.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You could just call up the people at OCS and ask them directly what the word is on this navy type blanket thing. And then post what they said on the forum here for everyone else to read.

--Steve Wilkins

Kraftwerk

Hey all!
Jeff and I were Just commissioned yesterday, Honor Class 13-01 is finally done! Still floating on cloud nine, may not be too coherent. Navy blanket? It'll be taken from you the first day anyways. Don't bother to bring anything not on the list. I had a grey fleece bag that closely resembled the grey wool blanket, so they overlooked that one. Vicki, Jeff and I were so hoping that you'd come in when we were doing Indoc, so we could show you the ropes, but not so. By the time you read this, you should be in your second week, so a belated good luck to you. Remember: Do whatever your Drill Instructor says and do it loudly.