• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VFA-102 Moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
How does this have anything to do with Iwo Jima or Hawaii? Those fvcks in Iwakuni had BETTER expect a little more traffic after spending all that cash on the new runway (is that thing finished yet?). The rumors are bogus - end of story.

Brett

Anyone hear the rumor that VFA-102 (18F's) is leaving Atsugi for a different base in Japan? Any truth to the rumor?

I was just answering the original question. Whether or not CVW-5 actually moves has obviously not been decided yet and it would take years for it to get done. That said, there appears to be some actual discussions going on to move the guys out of Atsugi, that is all I was pointing out.

As for the runway, I have no idea but I would not be suprised if the Japanese were paying for most of the cost.

The annual cost of stationing U.S. Forces in Japan in 1995 was approximately $7.6B. Of this amount, the Government of Japan paid $4.25B of the cost.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/dod/usfj.htm

http://usfj.mil/welcome.html

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
As for the runway, I have no idea but I would not be suprised if the Japanese were paying for most of the cost.
From what I heard, the JDF coughed up about a billion dollars for the new runway. Making new land is expensive. I love how they were just destroying the side of that island to the east to use the rubble to expand the coastline at Iwakuni. I guess in the grand scheme, it would make sense to put all the -18s in one spot, and there's certainly plenty of ramp space in Iwakuni, but I don't know if there's a compelling reason to leave Atsugi right now. Aren't they putting a Navy O-6 in charge of MAG-12 in exchange for having a Marine CAG? All in all, Iwakuni was a pretty good place to operate out of (except for those God damned bike thieving Marines - so much for integrity) and has good airspace and low levels.

Good times,

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.