• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VFA-102 Moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMMAMid03

Anyone hear the rumor that VFA-102 (18F's) is leaving Atsugi for a different base in Japan? Any truth to the rumor?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMMAMid03 said:
Anyone hear the rumor that VFA-102 (18F's) is leaving Atsugi for a different base in Japan? Any truth to the rumor?
Where would they go, Iwakuni? What would the rationale be - hell, they just got there. Seems counterproductive to split up the Airwing like that. Sounds bogus, but I guess you never know.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMMAMid03 said:

I seriously doubt they are going anywhere.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
icon_bs.gif
:D

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
Believe it when it happens. I was with or around CVW-5 from '94-'02 and there were rumors about us leaving to another location quite a few times. One was to send the entire airwing to Iwo Jima and fly back on the weekends. Never happened. Until the official word comes out don not believe anything.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hornetframer said:
One was to send the entire airwing to Iwo Jima and fly back on the weekends.
Whomever came up with that one was blowing some serious smoke. Have you ever been to Iwo Jima? It's a tad small to base an entire Airwing there.

Brett

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
Ok well what I heard is that they are sending the Kitty Hawk to get rework in preparation to take the Kennedys place in Florida and they are basing a nuke carrier in Hawaii and bringing CAG-5 to Kanohoe and most of the west coast bases

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Super18Ordie said:
Ok well what I heard is that they are sending the Kitty Hawk to get rework in preparation to take the Kennedys place in Florida and they are basing a nuke carrier in Hawaii and bringing CAG-5 to Kanohoe and most of the west coast bases
That makes no sense whatsoever. It sounds like an amalgamation of several rumors that have been floating around. I know they're toying with standing up an airwing in Hawaii, but sending CAG-5 there kind of defeats the purpose of being forward deployed. There are a million reasons (most of which I can't discuss here) the Navy shouldn't do that. I will admit that I've seen some strange things done by the Navy, but on this issue, I'll believe it when I see it.

Perhaps Web-San could bring his informed opinion to bear on the matter?

Brett

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
I have been to Iwo Jima 4 times. 2x for FCLPs, 1x for Airshow practice (only 4 of us went down there), and 1x for a fuel stop on the way to Guam for det. Had a blast though when I went there caving and exploring. Would not mind going back again!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hornetframer said:
I have been to Iwo Jima 4 times. 2x for FCLPs, 1x for Airshow practice (only 4 of us went down there), and 1x for a fuel stop on the way to Guam for det. Had a blast though when I went there caving and exploring. Would not mind going back again!!!
Then you KNOW that there's no way to base an entire airwing there, right? Passing thru or FCLP is not the same as moving there permanently.

Brett

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
I laughed when I heard the rumor.... Thought is of some laughter value especially all that have been around CVW-5. That rumor was spread around back in `96. Did not last long though. It will be interesting to see where they will move to if they do.. Trying to go back there in the future.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hornetframer said:
I laughed when I heard the rumor.... Thought is of some laughter value especially all that have been around CVW-5. That rumor was spread around back in `96. Did not last long though. It will be interesting to see where they will move to if they do.. Trying to go back there in the future.
My guess is: They're going nowhere soon.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It actually looks like there might be a little truth to the rumor, though it is still just a proposal and would not happen for several years even if everything went well, and things are not going well right now.

Washington Times
July 6, 2005
Pg. 13

Mayor Objects To U.S. Navy Base Plans

IWAKUNI -- Mayor Katsusuke Ihara voiced strong opposition yesterday to a plan to bring U.S. Navy operations from a base in Kanagawa Prefecture to Iwakuni Marine Corps Air Station in Yamaguchi Prefecture as he met with the air station's commanding officer.

"Transferring functions from the Atsugi naval air facility and night landing practice [to Iwakuni] will create a great burden on local residents. I am absolutely against this," Mr. Ihara said he told Col. Michael Dyer. It was the first time an Iwakuni mayor had conveyed the city's opposition to the plan to U.S. base officials.

Mr. Ihara said after the meeting that Col. Dyer promised to relay the message to his superiors. The mayor said the American officer also promised to respond to the increasing number of complaints from residents about noise from U.S. military aircraft.

http://ebird.afis.osd.mil/ebfiles/e20050706377890.html

The MAG CO when I was there mentioned once that a mayor in Japan has a lot more sway in matters like this than here in the US. Apparently he could have scuttled the new runways they are building there if he wanted, national government be damned.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
It actually looks like there might be a little truth to the rumor...
How does this have anything to do with Iwo Jima or Hawaii? Those fvcks in Iwakuni had BETTER expect a little more traffic after spending all that cash on the new runway (is that thing finished yet?). The rumors are bogus - end of story.

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.