• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance Or Bust!!!

"Quality"Spread

Hey guys myself and some fellow marines are headed to vance for JSUPT on OCT.14. If anyone could give me a heads up on what to expect when I get there that would be great. By the way dont reply if you are gonna ***** about how it is the worst place in the world and its so hard. Any marine can appreciate it when I say "THERE IS NO WAY IT IS WORSE THAN TBS!!" Thanks

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Hey guys myself and some fellow marines are headed to vance for JSUPT on OCT.14. If anyone could give me a heads up on what to expect when I get there that would be great. By the way dont reply if you are gonna ***** about how it is the worst place in the world and its so hard. Any marine can appreciate it when I say "THERE IS NO WAY IT IS WORSE THAN TBS!!" Thanks

Bust.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
a recent Vance Volunteer just contacted me with questions... here was my reply:

Well, I gotta say... it was silly to request living in Enid, OK... but I suppose the damage is done... and you must have your reasons...

Living arrangements work as such: If the dormitories have less than 90% occupancy... you will be REQUIRED to live in them. They are tiny, think of a room you can barely fit a Queen-sized bed in... and give it a small RV sized kitchen and bath.

Since I arrived in June, they haven't gotten full yet. And it keeps emptying every week as people graduate. It can change quickly, but plan on living on base. I got out through a loophole... but they have since closed the loop. If you get here and wind up getting permission to live off base, look me up... I need a roomie.

Aren't the 12-hour days helpful for studying? Well... depends on if that is your kind of studying. I do things better my own way. What really drives me nuts... dont expect classes like API. Everything is taught to us by computer program. Kinda like flipping through powerpoints for several hours a day, and then getting a API style exam on all the material. Oh, and you are not allowed to highlight your texts like we could in API. You need to turn your texts in after training, and they only permit one color of highliter, with no more than a few words per page highlighted. Also, there are no "gouge sites" like some people used in API.

How soon after API did you report? I could not attend my API graduation in Pensacola. None of the Vance people I know were able to. Your movers will arrive around 0730 - 0900 on graduation Friday. You need to report to Vance by midnight on Monday. So, you basically have to haul ass to get here. And your movers wont be here till a week after you get here... so bring all your uniforms in your car with you. (report aboard in Khakis your first day. Nobody wears whites)

You cannot choose your squadron. It's assigned by which squadron needs students. Your class will all be in one squadron (the 8th or the 33rd) and you'll just be split into two flights. What else.... OH! I arrived here June 18th... classed up with 07-13 and started on July 27th.

Hmm... what else to tell you... the bugs up here are INSANE. I kill atleast one Brown Recluse (extremely poisonous) spider a day in my apartment. The dormitories are worse. I've called around, apparently they are almost immune to sprays and insecticides. Two days ago I found a scorpion hanging on my wall by the lightswitch, and yesterday one of the AF guys found a Black Widow in his dormitory room. He brought it to class... keeping it as a pet.

Oh, and there's nothing to do here. I mean... literally. There is ONE bar/club to go to... and it's... um... not worth it. Enid is the third largest town in Oklahoma... we have the Wal-mart. And a bunch of fast-food. And that's it. The Mall has half the stores out of business. If you want to go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Any major chain store besides Walmart or Staples... it's 110 miles each way to Oklahoma City.

There's a lot of ****... and I wouldn't recommend coming here... but since you're coming now, you can atleast look forward to the T-6. Which is better than the T-34... And you'll finish Primary a month or two before the Corpus boys... Is it worth it? I dunno... its up to you. Hope I didn't scare you too much.

See you soon, shipmate. welcome to The "new" Suck... Marine.

pdx

HSM Pilot
WHY? Please elaborate.........

misinformation (just my guess).

Here are some common stories.

1. The training is "more intense" and therefore better at Vance.

Fact is, the training is not more intense, just the BS. Navy training is second to none. I'm not saying the AF training is worse, but it isn't better.

2. The T-6 is more fun to fly than the T-34

I can't compare them personally, but the T-34 was a ton of fun to fly, so I hardly believe this. Plus, the syllabi are quite similar. The T-34 is not the worn out bird that some people think.

3. There is a better chance of getting jets out of Vance.

Total BS. This is a downright lie. The effect is unpredictable.

4. Primary at Vance is faster.

Questionable. It is true that you will have a solid selecting date as soon as you class up. The Navy doesn't offer this, but the time to complete is similar. I finished primary 5 months at VT-6.

5. The chicks are hotter in Enid, which is also a better party town

Hmm. Interesting theory, but I'm not sure there's that much of a difference.

6. The mandatory study hours will be good for you.

Ask your average Vance student how useful those mandatory hours were. If you are very disciplined, you might be able to get something out of them. Of course, if you were very disciplined, you could also go home and study (or a coffee shop, or on base, or a buddy's house, or where ever you want).

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
misinformation (just my guess).

1. The training is "more intense" and therefore better at Vance.

Fact is, the training is not more intense, just the BS. Navy training is second to none. I'm not saying the AF training is worse, but it isn't better.

5. The chicks are hotter in Enid, which is also a better party town

Hmm. Interesting theory, but I'm not sure there's that much of a difference.

In regards to Number 1... I concur with you 100%.

and number 5 still has me rolling on the floor. Whoever said ANYTHING about the girls here... was on crack. I haven't seen anything worth looking at... and the male to female ratio here sometimes seems worse than even the Academy probably has.

Enid is NOT a party town. lets just clear that up.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
I just want to know why any Marine/Sailor would willfully subject him/herself to an AirForce command? Especially when that command is notorious for dishing serious ammounts of BS to their studs. It's bad enough getting hazed by fellow Marines....but going back to the OCS mentallity lead by "Airmen". Nein Danke!!!

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
Are they all chopper guys, or real pilots?

Note: Just kidding Chopper Dudes!!

There was a Marine hornet dude and a cobra dude plus others of unknown origin. Almost all of the Navy/Marine IPs I ran into there were outstanding.

For those thinking of going to Vance:
I think you might be smoking something if you volunteer to go there. Don't think, "oh well I'm a Marine it can't be that bad." Unless you enjoy being a commissioned officer who gets treated like an errant child, that is. I admit that I volunteered, lured by the shiny new T-6, but hindsight is 20/20, right?

I'm not one of those sour grapes guys--I got my pipeline. I just think Vance can take more enjoyment out of your life than is really necessary in primary. The flying was sweet (just like it would be at any other primary base), but there were some pretty bitter Navy/Marine studs there, and for good reason.

You joined the Navy or Marines for a reason. You'll find a few more reasons if you go to Vance. That's all.

If you are already signed up for Vance, there isn't too much you need to know ahead of time. They'll probably tell single guys that you have to stay in the dorms. Last I knew this didn't apply to us.